Do any game libraries/studios/kits include "automatic" networking support?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by sofakng, Apr 27, 2008.

1. sofakng

sofakng New Member

I'm looking for a game library / studio / kit that includes "automatic" networking support. What I mean is that I would like to instantiate an object and simply tell the networking library to ghost it and automatically interpolate it's position (if it's moving), etc.

Why does nothing like this exist?

I know that RakNet somewhat supports this but it's only for C++ and I'm hoping to find something to C# or a standalone game studio (eg. like BlitzMax or Torque Game Builder, etc).

Everytime I ask this question it seems like the answer is that networking can't be implemented in a generic way but I don't understand because it seems like only two things need to be created:

1) Position interpolation (eg. using dead-reckoning, etc)
    2) Object synchronization (eg. hit points, etc)

Does anything like this exist? (for 2D or 3D)

2. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

3. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

TGE to a certain extent.

4. sofakng

sofakng New Member

Unfortunately this wrapper only include BitStream stuff so it doesn't include RakNet's ghosting or interpolation functionality.

I own TGE as well as TGB but TGE requires modification to the C++ code if you want to make anything except for an FPS. Unfortunately I'm not an expert in C++ so it's difficult for me to understand and modify the source code :(

5. ChrisP

Indie Author

I too would like to find something like this, except that I'm fine with C++ and don't like C# so much (too much runtime baggage and not cross-platform enough). :) Bonus points if it integrates with a physics engine out of the box.

(This is just me being lazy, though. I expect it wouldn't take me more than a week to sufficiently integrate (say) Ogre + RakNet + Newton well enough for my purposes.)

I did spend quite a bit of time messing around with BYOND, which has completely-transparent networking built in. (And I do mean completely. It's not even visible to your code.) But it's slow, restricted to tile-based 2D (you can hack around this but not easily), and all games have to run in the provided client (BYOND doesn't make .exe files; games run in a special-purpose virtual machine), which comes with some baggage that you may not want. Like requiring users to sign up for a BYOND account.

6. sofakng

sofakng New Member

Yeah, BYOND is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for but the network code is pretty awful. Every game I've seen has terrible movement code so that when you try and move it's delayed then you move too far, etc, etc...

Aside from that it doesn't look that bad and it does seem to be the ONLY engine that has built-in networking support like that. I just wish some alternatives existed :(

7. ChrisP

Indie Author

You really do have to get used to the way BYOND's networking works in order to play games effectively. I found early on that tapping the movement keys rather than holding them down worked much better. This is because every time the app gets a keydown event, another "move in this direction" packet is sent. That's the entirety of the movement code...

So, yeah, that makes for pretty laggy games. Still, if you stay away from action-heavy/twitch-based games, or just use it as a prototyping tool, then it works well enough.

8. Byondo

Byondo New Member

I just recently discovered these forums and made an informative post about BYOND, only to see it mentioned here. Regarding the movement bug-- this is something we observed and attempted to fix a few months back. As of release 415 (current release: 420), BYOND should no longer exhibit this "drunk hamster" walking behavior due to better queuing of the movement events client-side. If you still have any interest, you could help us out by confirming that, or posting further reports at our forums: http://www.byond.com/developer/forum

Thanks!

Tom of BYOND

9. ChrisP

Indie Author

Hey Tom, thanks for dropping by. Some of the recent changes do sound interesting, especially the movement improvement (hey it rhymes) and account-less singleplayer mode. Though I'm still hanging out for account-less multiplayer! ;) Using IP addresses or whatever instead of account names, as with the telnet support. The transparent multiplayer is BYOND's single biggest selling point, yet forcing players to register accounts to take advantage of it is possibly its biggest problem from the point of view of this crowd.

I'd want to be allowed to transparently bundle the BYOND client with my own installer too, and last I checked that wasn't allowed? Still, you've addressed most of the other sticking points, which is great. BYOND is certainly a lot closer to being a seriously viable platform for indies than it used to be.

10. Byondo

Byondo New Member

Hi Chris P. / Crispy!

Yeah, I've considered ip-based logins in the past. I suppose if we made allowing those an option for the developer (default: off), it'd be pretty safe to support. We'd just pass the ip-address as the key name and disallow creation of such keys. The developer could then map those ips to names of his own choosing if he wants.

In theory, this would allow you to distribute a script ("package files") including your game link. If the user has BYOND installed, it'll just connect to the game anonymously with the ip; if not, it'll point the user to the BYOND download (and maybe we could come up with a way to install and direct to your game seamlessly).

11. ChrisP

Indie Author

Curses, recognised! ;) (I guess if I really wanted to hide I should have chosen screen names that weren't homophones...)

That all sounds good to me. Hoping to see it implemented one day. :)

12. Byondo

Byondo New Member

Just FYI, the latest version of BYOND allows developers to distribute their applications as EXE files as well as bypass the built-in login system (such users implicitly login as a unique "guest"). Hopefully this will add to the professionalism of such games.

13. mchurchill

mchurchill New Member

Hey Sofakng

I've been developing Entanglar, which is a multiplayer game networking framework for .Net providing the automatic entity sync that you are after.

The main downside at the moment is that its an alpha release. So bits aren't as polished as I would like them to be, and the API may change if I think theres a good reason to do so.

It supports a client/server topology, with authority on entities existing on either the client or server. Its supports synchronised properties and methods (a little like UnrealScript) simply by putting a [Synchronised] attribute on them in code. Everything else is handled for you.

But, as you mentioned, there did seem to be a bit of a gap in the indie developers toolkit which I decided to address.

I've included a wrapper for Box2DX as well (a 2D physics engine) as I do inertial error prediction for remote simulations to work out what data to send first.

Take a look: http://entanglar.dunnchurchill.com

Cheers,
    Mark

14. Brian A. Knudsen

Brian A. Knudsen New Member

raknet is superior drop in for any game type as far as i know .. but not fully automatic as such.

Clanlib had in past some ways to let objects self replicate over internet. it might be such you need.