Diver (Released)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by JeffWeber, Sep 17, 2008.

1. JeffWeber

JeffWeber New Member

Hi, my name is Jeff Weber of Physics Powered Games.

I'm a team-of-one indie developer and I've just released my 1st game, Diver.

Description
    Diver is a physics driven, extreme cliff diving game. Use only mouse gestures to jump off cliffs and bounce on diving boards attempting to land cleanly between two marker buoys floating in the water.

Screenshots:
    screen 1
    screen 2
    screen 3
    screen 4

The control scheme is somewhat unique so I encourage a quick run through the "How To Play" screens.

(note: Diver requires the Silverlight browser plug-in. Silverlight is very similar to Flash and has the same low-impact install experience)

Play Diver.

Enjoy!

Jeff Weber

2. TimS

Original Member

That's pretty cool after a couple of levels of getting the hang of it. Unfortunately for me after about 13 levels of it the frustration got the better of me. The rapid mouse movements just to the edge of the window are just too finicky... twice I clicked programs in my taskbar... twice I clicked the "back" button on my 5 button mouse... and at least once I clicked on a menu button while diving. Panic!

Does silverlight have a fullscreen option?

-Tim

3. Stephen Morris

Stephen Morris New Member

Hi Jeff,

Congratulations on releasing your first game - its a belter as well!

As with TimS, found it a little tricky at first but have gotten used to the mouse movements. I am finding these diveboards seriously tricky though - have managed to level 19 but it is tough.

A big thumbs up from me!

Regards,
    Stephen

4. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Couldn't make head nor tail of it - maybe its just impossible to play it on a laptop touchpad.

My best 'dive' was when I fell backwards and slid down the hill into the water. :/

Why does he explode when I press the mouse button?

5. Cartman

Indie Author

I couldn't make a successful dive to save my life and I went through the tutorial as well. I love the physics and the graphics are just right. But I think the interface needs to be simplified.

Also the pause button that kept showing up really annoyed me.

Great idea. I love these kind of things.

6. JeffWeber

JeffWeber New Member

You are correct, you can't really play this game with a touchpad. Sorry.

He doesn't "explode". :) He "teleports" back to the starting position.

7. JeffWeber

JeffWeber New Member

True the game is tough and takes a while to pick up. You aren't the first to be bothered by that.

You can avoid the big play button on reset if you click in the center of the screen. This will reset you and not show the button. If you click off-center you will reset and the button will show. This was done to force the mouse to start in the center.

thanks for the feedback.

-jeff

8. JeffWeber

JeffWeber New Member

I understand the frustration. You really need to use deliberate and careful mouse movement. Not always easy. Takes a lot of practice.

yeah, silverlight has a full-screen option, but the performance at full screen is a bit of a concern... I decided not to offer it for now.. may re-consider in the future.

9. JeffWeber

JeffWeber New Member

Thanks, glad you like it! Keep playing. You'll be suprised how good you can get at those diving boards...

10. Red27

Indie Author

A nice game, with some good physics overall.

The difficulty level is very high though, and I found myself wanting to spin the mouse around quickly to spin him faster - so a mindset shift was needed to try and utilise the control system you've adopted.

I just hope that doesn't put people off; sometimes if the learning curve is too steep, people just give up and try the next thing.

Bravo nonetheless!

11. JeBuS

JeBuS New Member

Doesn't work quite as well with a laptop touchpad.

12. JeffWeber

JeffWeber New Member

Agreed. Really requires a mouse.