[disc] Text Adventure

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by UnknownGuy, May 11, 2006.

1. UnknownGuy

Original Member

Hi,

I'm currently working on a text adventure for fun(been learning a lot), but I was wondering if anyone thinks a text adventure could sell in todays market?

More of a random question of curiousity of what others think.

(Currently no graphics whatsoever, non-planned, and single player)

Thanks!

2. Laser Lou

Original Member

Look at it this way: have you purchased any text adventures lately? I haven't, and I know no one else who has.

3. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I love text adventures and I might buy one if it was really really compelling, but for the most part I don't think I'm very typical, and I doubt you could really sell one in any reasonable volume in today's market.

4. Arkadesh

Original Member

There's a lot of quality text adventures (interactive fiction is the current name of the genre) available for free, they're still created and they're often real masterpieces so I doubt there would be too many people willing to pay for one.

cheers,
    Arkadesh

5. UnknownGuy

Original Member

Thanks for the comments.

I don't think it would be anything serious, just a thought since I was making one anyways.

6. papillon

Indie Author

There is a guy who makes a big production out of trying to sell text adventures. (Usually involving claiming to have single-handedly revived the genre, ignoring the freeware community). He clearly makes SOME sales or he wouldn't keep doing it - but I doubt it's extremely successful.

He's also shown up at book fairs trying to push the product as a reading experience rather than a game.

There's at least one other person, iirc, who is selling a text adventure *to* the freeware community rather than trying to get around them. Again, best I can tell, this sells a few copies but not many. And if you want to sell to that crowd you will need to be on top form, they're picky. :)