DirectX 8.1 SDK

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Battleline, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Battleline

Original Member

Where can I find a DirectX 8.1 SDK download? From what I can tell, Microsoft no longer has it available on their site.

2. Larry Hastings

Original Member

Well, I've got a copy, so worst case I could make it available for you to download.

But do you really need the DX 8.1 SDK? The DX 9 SDK lets you develop games using the 8.0 interfaces / header files / everything. AFAIK they've been really good for years at supporting the old version interfaces in the new SDKs. Have you tried compiling against the 9.0c SDK and found it didn't work?

3. Battleline

Original Member

Really? How does that work? Do I just point to the old libraries?

The one nice thing about having the SDK if it's available for download somewhere, is it would come with the 8.1 documentation.

Thanks

4. Aldacron

Original Member

All the libs you need are in the SDK's lib subdirectory. As for includes, for D3D and D3DX, just include the version 8 headers (d3d8.h and d3dx8.h). For dinput and the rest, DX9 made no changes to the API, so they still use version 8 interfaces.

For future reference, you can always cutout interfaces version greater than a specific version by using a special define. For example:

#define DIRECT3D_VERSION 0x0800
    #include <d3d8.h>
    #include <d3d9.h>

This causes everything in d3d9.h to be ignored. Since the D3D stuff is now in separate header files, this technique has limited use there. But it can still be useful for other APIs, such as DirectInput. This is not a requirement to use earlier versions, but does help to avoid accidental errors.

Once, in a post on gamedev.net, someone posted a link to a site which had al DX docs from DX 5 onward up for download. I grabbed them all and installed them on my old box, but forgot all about them. When I dumped Windows for Linux on that machine, I didn't back them up. However, recently I needed the DX 8 docs, and couldn't find the link on GDNet (forum search is down). So, I looked through some of the book CDs I have, and one of the Game Programming Gems books (3 IIRC) had a self extracting zip file of the DX8 SDK on it. So I extracted it, opened a CAB file with 7-Zip, and was able to extract the docs from there. So if you have recent game programming books lying around, you might already have what you need.

5. Larry Hastings

Original Member

Yes, just include the old DX8 header files and link to the DX8 libraries. All of the old headers and libraries ship with the DX9 SDK.

You can read the DX8.1 documentation online: But that's inconvenient. So I'd be happy to slide just the DX8 docs to you. They're only 10mb, wheras DX81SDK_FULL.EXE is 170MB. Mail me at my first name at my last name dot org and I'll hook you up.

By the way, if you're still using MSVS 6, there's a way to get the old October 2001 MSDN to automatically use the DX8 documentation too. It's so much better that way.

6. undersan

Original Member

7. digriz

Original Member

battleline, if you're in the uk i can send you a copy on disk.

I have the 8.1 sdk full installation

8. Battleline

Original Member

Thanks for the offer, but I found a place to download it. Plus I might try out someone's suggestion of repointing the library files... just to poke around.

I appreciate the offer though :D

9. Aldacron

Original Member

You don't need to do that. Everything you need to develop with DX8 is included in the DX9 SDK.

10. Donavon Keithley

Original Member

FWIW, Microsoft has a downloads page where you can get old SDKs and such.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads

EDIT: Erm, well they used to have them up there. You can get the DX8 SDK extras but a search for the actual SDK isn't turning anything up. :confused:

Another reason why somebody might want an old SDK is for the samples.

#10 Donavon Keithley, Apr 28, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  11. Dominique Biesmans

Indie Author

FYI, from the MSDN subscriber downloads serveral Directx8 SDK's (8, 8.0a & 8.1) are still available.

12. Battleline

Original Member

13. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

It's even easier than that. You can just use the ddraw, d3d version #defines to use whichever directx you want...