Digitanks release candidate

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Vino, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Vino

Vino New Member

If you guys don't mind I'd like to have your thoughts on my release candidate.

http://digitanks.com/files/digitanks.exe

Make sure to run the game as admin until I fix that bug. Here's a registration key: EXHEPR474QQECYHS

I'm just wanting to make sure that it works smoothly. For example, the game loads correctly, the registration works, and nothing is crazy for anybody. I don't want any big crashes or anything, I'm getting ready to release this thing as soon as I can.

Most people here are already familiar with the game but if you're not, here's the page with screenshots and video:

http://digitanks.com/media

Thanks everybody!

#1 Vino, Oct 31, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  2. hanson

hanson New Member

I downloaded and opened 'er up. Install was smooth and almost effortless. Ya scared me for a sec with the intro :p
    Unfortunately, the application quit responding after it went to the loading screen. Eventually the music stopped, and I got tired of waiting and closed out of it. Happened in both windowed and fullscreen modes. Looks like an awesome game!

This was encountered when attempting to play on:
    XP Pro
    Compaq 6910p
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 @ 2.00Ghz (2 CPUs)
    1280x760 screen resolution

3. Vino

Vino New Member

Well shit, see this is what I mean.

What video card? I don't support Intel. Can you re-download from the link above and send me the glinfo.txt file that gets spit out once the game starts?

edit: also if there's an .mdmp file in the game directory can you send that to me to? bs.vino@gmail.com

#3 Vino, Nov 1, 2010
  4. sulaiman

Original Member

Install went smoothly as a non-admin user on win7. I played through the first tutorial and the first mission. The game was a little slow for my taste but I can see where the RPG elements could make for an unique experience. One thing you might want to consider is using the screen boundaries to scroll the map, otherwise players end up clicking on the GUI panel and selecting things that don't want to select.

It was hard to tell which shield was damaged. Maybe is could flicker or change color to indicate the degree of damage. There were some other presentation things I noticed, but no big crashes.

As with hanson, there was one time where the game stopped responding after clicking to enter a mission. By alt-tabbing, I was able to 'advance to frame' each time and see where I should click to exit the game.

The options for windowed mode and res change didn't work for me. Also I couldn't paste the registration code into the box. After I typed it in, it still asked for it again when I restarted the game. These problems are probably due to not being on an administrator account.

Hope this feedback helps.

Windows7 x64
    Intel Core 2 Duo e8500@3.0
    GeForce GTX 260

#4 sulaiman, Nov 1, 2010
  5. Vino

Vino New Member

Incredibly helpful. The shields idea is good.

I'm not sure what I can do about the freeze-ups as I don't have enough information yet. I'm not sure what you mean by 'advance to frame' either, do you mean that every time you alt tabbed you were able to see the next place to click? That's quite odd.

I think the rest of it I can fix though. Thanks.

6. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Ok, spent some time with it today.

There are some presentation issues I think you should fix before release. Mostly the main menu buttons being grey boxes. They just distract too much from the overall presentation and they are the first thing you meet in the game.

You also have "Download Compelte" as a text in the construction complete message for the main CPU.

I second the need for scrolling at edge (and/or middle mouse click and drag). Because you have some phases of selection which appear modal (cant do anything else) if you have a command selected and cant see where you want it to happen, you have no way of arranging the view other than right click and tilting/rotating the map. Often I had the place where I wanted a move action to occur obscured by something else on the map and couldnt actually get to where I wanted to click.

I think in general, apart from the crash/lockup bugs. You should spend some time doing usability tests before you release. Find a local set of gamers (University with game programs are good) and literally watch people play WITHOUT saying anything to them. You'll see a bunch of failures that are generally usability issues.

Cant stress enough how much better your game could be if you fixed up some of the usability stuff. Right now it is on the cusp of being a good game, its a little slow for my taste, but that aside I think it has promise, but needs a bunch more polish. Don't release it now, spend the time and fix it.

7. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Oh, and I had a crash when selecting "exit game" from the menu during play. It crashed the exe to desktop.

8. sulaiman

Original Member

It seemed like although the game appeared to be frozen at the loading screen, it was stilling running in the background. Because when I tabbed back in, it displayed a new frozen frame that was now of the gameplay. By doing that a few times and pressing keys, I couple see menus and where to click to quit. I was running a cpu intensive program in the background so maybe that contributed to it.

9. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I think I know the cause of this. The below applies to DirectX, but something similar must be going on under the hood of OpenGL which he is using.

When you get a device loss, the thing to do is try to reacquire it. This usually works but not at the first try for various reason. But, if you do this call in a tight loop (even once per frame) then you lose 99.999% of your cpu for some reason.

I fixed this by having a "twilight zone" state in my engine where it does one reacquire call and then waits for a second (using sleep). (Whilst in this state I make no attempt to draw or present anything as doing so then adds to the problem and obviously won't work anyway). Worked a treat after that.

How you convert that into something useful in GL land, I have no idea. I guess this should just magically work, but then you're in the territory that without direct control then you're just hoping for the best that the driver writer did a good job.

EDIT: Regarding getting the controls and user interface polished, you should see the most recent comment I made on my GLWG blog.

EDIT2: I see it's actually the 2nd-most recent post.

10. Vino

Vino New Member

I don't know what a device loss is. Reacquire device loss? This is all foreign to me. I use a library (GLFW) to handle all of the device contexts that opengl needs from windows but I don't know what "device loss" means. Can you link me to something that describes the problem?

Thank you for the user interface suggestions. I'm considering putting off release to do a screen dragging functionality. I did a lot of "hands off" style playtesting just like you describe earlier in the project but not so much recently and I think that started to show.

11. Applewood

I'm the wrong guy to ask here, with only mediocre experience in GL and not even knowing what GLFW even is, though I can guess the acronym.

I just did some googling but couldn't find anything relevant outside of the DXSDK docs which I guess you don't have. It's not a DX only problem but I guess GL is meant to just handle this quietly somehow.

I know it's not helpful at this stage, but this is why I'm always preaching about rolling your own code and not being dependent on 3rd party libraries. Your problem might not even be what I'm on about, but without source level access and the ability to change/experiment with it, you may well be stuck.

12. Vino

Vino New Member

It stands for GL For the Win! Ha ha!

No I don't know what it stands for it's just a toolkit that handles all of the platform-specific code of creating an opengl window and context. You call glfwCreateWindow(yadeya) and it does it all for you. It's open source though so I have all of the source right here, and I'd much rather use something like this to save myself time. But I suppose there are drawbacks, such as this.

13. Applewood

Well, it's a lot better if you have the source. I guess you need to poke around and see what happens when your app loses focus when full screen etc.