Digital Music Software?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Lance Von Alden, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Lance Von Alden

Lance Von Alden New Member

So yeah, this is mainly related to the fact that as anyone always wants to have (or create) his own game assets for lack of money or simply when you want to go as Solo for a moment to learn or wait for a team. And one thing that I always wanted to do for myself at least to see how good I was and if I could create my personal assets was making music and sound effects.

I am not talking about professional composition or singing, I mean like sounds and musics to put as background for some games and effects to animate my games.

I am sure around there there has to be softwares that let you load different instruments, write a scoresheet or move the GUI a bit and then are able to reproduce nice sound effects that can be used for game assets. What I don't want is to have to buy the instruments or pay a small group to make a sound for when I touch "New Game" and I want something like a Final Fantasy fading tone.

Recommend any sort of software but try to not only recommend the paid ones, pick some free ones that do the job too. And keep in mind that what I want is something like mixing a group of instruments on different layers and give each its own commands so I get something nice, but not simple like a MIDI.

2. zizulot

zizulot New Member

3. Mark Knight

Mark Knight New Member

Whilst not free, Reaper is extremely affordable for what it offers and a lot of the large game companies have been moving across to it. Personally, I prefer Cubase, but that's because I've been using it for almost 30 years.

4. Big Impact Sound

Big Impact Sound New Member

Audacity is free and is not bad, but obviously it is better to hire an audio professional for the job.

5. RedC alcifer

RedC alcifer New Member

Well, I think you could play around with Garage Band (if you own a Mac) or Logic Pro (Mac users aswell), as someone said on the comments try Reaper out for windows!

6. Iridescent Waves

Iridescent Waves New Member

We use LMMS (Linux MultiMedia Studio), it's a free software similar to the paid one Fruityloops (now FL Studio). It has everything you need and run on Windows and Linux.