Digital Distribution Schema...

Discussion in 'Development & Distribution' started by BUnzaga, Mar 3, 2010.

1. BUnzaga

BUnzaga New Member

I tried to post this in the 'Game Development and Technical' section about a week ago, but I guess it got lost in cyber space somewhere, because I have yet to see it show up.

I hope this is the correct forum. I wanted to get peoples input about this 'activation key' idea to help prevent piracy, but keep it as simple and less hassle as possible for the customers. Also to try and minimize the follow up work on my side.

Broken up into simple steps:

1. The user creates an account at my web site. They need to do this to purchase the game.
    2. For each game purchased, a unique key is generated and put into the database, linked to their account. This same key is emailed to their account email.
    3. When the user installs the game, they enter their account email, password, and the Activation Key.
    4. If the email, password, and key all match up, the game is unlocked and they can now play the game.

On the server side, I can track how many times the Activation Key has been used, and set a limit. If they install / activate it more than a certain number of times, they will get a message that they have exceeded the max number or re-installations, but that they can contact support to figure out a solution.

So the only hassle for the customer is the first time they install the game, they need to be connected to the internet. The only hassle for me is if someone keeps reformatting their computer and they need a new activation key.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, ideas, comments.

2. Shaz

Moderator Original Member