Digital Distribution Figures - Market Leaders

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by DFG, Jun 4, 2009.

1. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

2. JGOware

Indie Author

"17 per cent of all games purchased by PC owners were made via digital downloads."

If that is indeed true, then there is HUGE growth potential for the online pc game industry still! :eek:

3. Jack Norton

Indie Author

well inevitably retail is going to disappear I think. It's a good thing, less pollution to environment :)

4. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

these figures are nonsense. How do they know what steam sells? and how do they know what gets sold through BMT and Plimus and RegNow.
    I don't recall NPD emailing em requesting for my sales figures (not that I sell many at all, but you know what I mean).
    And if they did, and I was a portal, I'd treble them in my response. How on earth does anyone except the owners of those companies REALLY know?

5. Acord

Acord New Member

dunno - I'm downloading King's Bounty off of Steam as we speak. Sure it's a huge DL, but it was $10 less and saved me the time of going to town for it. If I lived in a city, I *might* go to a store, or I might take part of the $10 I saved and go to a nice coffee shop, read some Haruki Murakami, smoke, and sketch out ideas etc.

6. Sybixsus

Original Member

Precisely what I was thinking, surprising numbers, if true.

7. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Until Steam continues to cheat to UK/EUR customers overcharging prices, there's no risk of it taking down the european market :rolleyes:
    King's Bounty = 24,99€ = about $35
    I can get a physical copy for €15 from play.com with free delivery.
    I would love to buy it online, but I don't like being cheated. Maybe when Steam will realize it, they'll double their market share in europe too.

8. Andrej Vojtas

Andrej Vojtas New Member

An example of how NPD collects data: http://www.adobe.com/macromedia/ir/macr/whitepapers/npd_pos.pdf

My impression from this is, they do a quite lot of effort, but still ultimately rely on estimates.

What I would really like to know and if anyone would like to share: is it worth to do Online Retail = physical copies ordered online directly from developer? I don't mean the 'Backup CD' option, I mean a full blown package equal to copies sold in retail.