DHSGiT is now on Steam.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Musenik, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Musenik

Original Member

So long, BFG. Hello Steam! Special price, this week only, $8.99.

Step right up...

I only wish we had sold longer on BFG to compare if it sold better there than on Steam. Our game has yet to find it's audience. In total, from all portals, we've sold less than 7,000 copies since May 14, 08. We have strong reviews and big fans who range over a broad demographic. It may be a niche product for a niche that has never gathered before or otherwise identified itself.

Thoughts?

(oh, and yes I do suck at marketing. I mean OTHER thoughts?)

#1 Musenik, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. Executrix

Executrix New Member

I find it hilarious that DHSGiT requires an age check, whereas hundreds of other games on steam, with much more brutal content, do not. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

3. Musenik

Original Member

The age 'gate' as Valve calls it is set to 13 or older.

4. berserker

Indie Author

Good luck with your sales. If BFG feels safe with never-ending list of exclusive HOGs and don't care about original games like ours anymore, it's their loss.
    BTW, how did you managed to get on Steam? Did they contacted you?
    ________
    Buy silver surfer

#4 berserker, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  5. MFS

MFS New Member

It's great to see it on steam!

Also, I'm glad to see that it' has sold almost 7k copies thus far. That's far better than a lot of indie games and I hope that you've recovered your investment so you can keep up the stellar work. Good luck on Steam :D

6. Musenik

Original Member

Getting on steam was really hard. They ignored or didn't even see our first requests. We even were lucky enough to convince a Valve employee to submit our game but no luck. I think the 80% Metacritic score with 4 'certified' reviews and the WGA nomination swung the deal.

Now the question is. Will anyone buy it? Last week, Amazon sales picked up a bit, but earning a 'small' percent of net on $10 is not going to cover the game's costs. The Amazon bump is probably temporary.

Here's hoping Steam will bring our ship in. It's no guarantee. So, anyone here know how to contact GameTap?

7. berserker

Indie Author

I thought so. From what I heard they are extremely hard to reach and honestly I didn't tried much. From my experience if portal wants your game, they won't have problem contacting you themselves - this happened to me many times before.
    ________
    VAPORGENIE

#7 berserker, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  8. joshuadallman

Original Member

Fuck yeah!!!!! This is the greatest news, congrats Keith!!

+1 berserker

9. ChrisP

Indie Author

Awesome! Great news. Welcome to the Steam club. :D Being on Steam has been great for me, in terms of my definition of "great", though I still haven't sold as many units total as you have. Not being on any other portals may have something to do with that. Also, I too suck at marketing...

It'll be different for every game, of course. Hopefully it goes well for you. DHSGiT isn't what I'd call an obvious fit for Steam, but hey, gotta be worth a shot.

10. Colm

Colm New Member

Nice- let us know how it works out for you!

11. mrkwang

mrkwang New Member

Make press release about steam selling & BFG ban. Not sure how you'd write, however some other people could help you here.

Some press (or blog) might be interested in your story.

In fact, it is REALLY IMPORTANT situation, as I think. That's why I contact you & posted a column about that, when I found BFG ban.

12. electronicStar

Original Member

Great news, congratulations getting on Steam. At first glance the "typical" steam audience doesn't seem to be the perfect target for DHSGIT, please tell us how well it performs.

13. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Awesome to hear that you got into Steam. Good luck with the sales!

14. Musenik

Original Member

I think this thread on Penny-Arcade forum hints at what to expect:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=9110654

(relevant posts start with the second post on the page)

First, contempt.
    Second, ridicule.
    Third, someone who has played the game defends it.
    Fourth, discussion.
    Fifth, new respect.

Naturally, I expect the first and second will be most prevalent. I'm already too scared to check my first day of sales. :)

15. adamw

Original Member

Hang in there! This is still great stuff - any news is good news, especially on Penny-Arcade. Just stay tough.

16. vjvj

Indie Author

Yeah, I noticed this today! Congrats, Man! And thanks for sharing your sales numbers with us. It will be very interesting to see how your Steam sales compare...

17. joshuadallman

Original Member

18. Ciardhubh

Ciardhubh New Member

That post looks like great publicity, judging from the resulting discussion.

Who cares about a "this game nobody heared about is teh best"-post? Random insults and unfounded ravings on the other hand create controversy and curiosity. Plus the resulting discussion is favorable.

Congrats :)

19. Acord

Acord New Member

Get people to submit to slashdot. Tons of free traffic. Just be sure that you've got some great, very beefy web servers in place first. This is just the sort of thing that would make for a good slashdot article....

Indie game removed from family friendly portal looks to make it big on Steam...

20. Musenik

Original Member

It has a better chance of posting to SlashDot if someone other than the developer submits the news... =-)