Developing for Nintendo 3DS

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Adversus, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Adversus

Adversus New Member

Hi Guys,

We have almost finished developing our first iPhone game and are also looking to publish it on 3DS. It's a realtively large budget game and I think it would be perfect to take advantage of the 3D aspect of the 3DS.

Does anyone have experience of this?

Should I just start contacting publishers as I think that's the only way? I have talked to EA and others regarding the iPhone version however I think we'll just self publish as they take too large a cut and there's other negatives (giving them control over pricing etc).

Does anyone have experience using smaller publishers?

Cheers,
    John.

2. SiXX

SiXX New Member

This may not be precise to what you need to know, but I just want to share my experience.

Our team used to do outsourcing service for Nintendo Wii. The SDK and development kit for Nintendoware is quite costly to get and need many step of approval from Nintendo too. So getting a publisher is clearly an only way to get your game to 3DS.

Another reason that you need publisher is when sending the game for releasing approval. Everytime a game request approval from Nintendo, they'll charge a high rate to do it. If it don't pass all of their lots check (which has more than 100 checks on the list), all you can do is fix those error and resubmit again and again. (Yes, you'll need to pay the price everytime.)

Last step, if the game can satisfy all of Nintendo's standard. It came to cartridge publishing state. Again, Nintendo request royalty price for every unit printed for sell.

So, if you're really confident about your game - go pitch it to big publishers first. Good luck on that!

3. Adrian Lopez

Original Member

You'll need to become a licensed developer (and meet the strict requirements for such) and also find a publisher willing to publish your game.

4. Scharlo

Original Member

Due to NDA I can't discuss the details, but some of the above statements are incorrect.

5. joe

joe
    Original Member

I'm licensed NDS developer and we developed a puzzle game for DS/DSi.

When we were finished and showed it publishers they really liked the game, but told us, that the market on NDS is flooded and they don't release any more titles without big licenses behind. And nearly all asked for iOS version (which we didn't had). One publisher was interested and just went bankrupt. (You can read the whole story and see the game running on DS Hardware on my devblog: http://www.intermediaware.com/blog/1219/devlog-captain-backwater).

Probably now with the 3DS publishers are more willing to publish new, unknown games.