Developer Contest

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by mjuricek, Oct 12, 2007.

1. papillon

Indie Author

Of course, we probably aren't really the target market for this 'contest'... and the bright-eyed innocents that are won't read this forum. :)

2. Oaf

Oaf
    Original Member

Oh I don't know - can you see bright-eyed innocents being capable enough of deploying an multiplayer game that's scalable to up to a million players?

What's even more shocking is Dave Perry's put his name to this. Acclaim can shrug off the criticism behind the facade of a big, nasty exploitative company, but Perry's going to look a bit of a berk personally when news of this gets out.

3. papillon

Indie Author

Even better - the college kids work their socks off for a year, ALL of their entries are judged not good enough, the best bits of all the different entries are sorted through and given to professionals to make a real game out of, and all the college kids can claim a year's unpaid internship and contribution on a shipped title on their CVs to go and be hired by EA! :)

4. Matt2East

Original Member

Is this thread also advertised on gamedev.net ?

5. mjuricek

mjuricek New Member

I forwared all concerns about the rules, even before I visited this forum. They are working on clarifying it more. I assume it's taking some time because of all legal stuff.

Yes, all I'm trying to do is to spread the word. I have no affiliation with Acclaim at all. I'm justa regular member of Top Secret community. But I just don't go spamming forums. I would not post unless I get permission from admins.

6. Escapee

Original Member

This contest would get a better response if it's posted in High school or University. :p

7. moose6912

moose6912 New Member

No, but I can see a lot of them "think" that they can produce the next MMORPG killer in 1 year or even the next World Of Warcraft. If I had 10 cents for every time I see a young inexperienced innocent talking about developing the next WOW, I would be rich like Donald Trump, without the bad hair.

8. mjuricek

mjuricek New Member

I would agree, but in this case it's David Perry and he is considered veteran in the industry. So in the end this game will be released and published.

9. Pyabo

Original Member

You're joking, right? Isn't this the same company that wanted to advertise on tombstones? And offered money for someone to name their baby Turok?

I have some excellent news for prospective entrants into this contest: EA, Microsoft, Take-Two, Activision, Ubisoft and every other publisher in the world are running a very similar contest! Except they don't call it a contest, and they don't own your game when you pitch it.

10. Andy

Original Member

...kinda not so small difference. No?... :confused:

11. mjuricek

mjuricek New Member

THere is one difference. You are talking about Acclaim Entertainment that went bankrupt few years ago. Howard Marks former CEO of Activision bought Acclaim's name (and name only) tocreate Acclaim Games.

Can you post a link to 1 of them please?

12. papillon

Indie Author

What he means is that if you can build an entire MMORPG from scratch, you can go and pitch it to any other big company. Either they'll sign you on and you'll get a deal, or you'll *still have your game* to try and sell it to other companies, or to sell it yourself.

13. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

And still own the assets and your code. Bonus is that if you pull it off you will get substantially more than 100k.

14. mjuricek

mjuricek New Member

you are not building entire MMORPG, just a playable beta version. It will be scalable multiplayer online game. You will own all your assets, you just can't release a game based on same design

15. Sybixsus

Original Member

Oh. So it's a completely different Martin Juricek who is listed as the Top Secret Project Leader on Garage Games then?

16. Ricardo C

Original Member

EDIT: Removed because of mjuricejk's subsequent post.

#36 Ricardo C, Oct 16, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  17. mjuricek

mjuricek New Member

no actually it is my post as well. I would not try to impersonate dp just so i can open up a project add on GG marketplace. However I'm member of advisory board for Project Top Secret I still consider myself just a regular member.

I ment I do not work for Acclaim or David Perry. I'm volunteer like any other PTS member. You could easily verify that by visiting top secret forums

18. Sybixsus

Original Member

But you're ok with pretending to be the project leader of something in which you're apparently only a regular member?

19. Pyabo

Original Member

I'm willing to give mjuricek a break... There's no reason to give him the 3rd degree over a forum tag when there's plenty of *GOOD* reasons to rag on this whole idea. Don't make it personal.

20. Andy

Original Member

(Pardon! There should be written something. I can't leave this space just empty )