Dev Team Help

Discussion in 'Help Wanted (UNPAID AND PROFIT SHARING)' started by RustyRice, Mar 10, 2016.

1. RustyRice

RustyRice New Member

Hi guys.

Just signed up to post this here.

I have an idea that I would like to get made into a game. I have no skills with development other than story ideas and the such. Along with my marketing and management skills. So I would have myself running the company and directing the game. I have some money put aside and I am busy putting more into the game fund as I go along. I don't feel I have enough just yet, but in the mean time I am putting together my business plan and the such.

While I have experience producing local music artists, I have nothing in the way of game development experience. So I have a few questions I hope you guys can provide some answers for.

1.) I obviously need the programmers. But would I need them from day one. Or is it better to have some models and small maps made first, so the programmers have something to work with. Or is there enough for programmers to do without any assets while the art team gets to work on that.

2.) How long does it generally take a 3D artist to make a model. Just a generic enemy human like you would find in any shooter or RPG. And is it better to pay an artist a monthly fee. Or contract work out of the business for things such as models and sound.

3.) What is the sort of going price programmers working for indie teams get paid. Is it based off the project. Or would somebody working on a 2 month project be paid the same monthly rate as somebody working on a 2 year project. I wont be giving up any percentage of the company or rights to any of the IP as I want to keep it as professional as possible.

4.) What is the sort of monthly rate I would expect to pay somebody working on the assets. Excluding sound. I have a sound production department all ready.

5.) All admin work and finance department is taken care of. They come with the sound department. But who else would I need to get things going.

6.) And lastly. How many people would it take. I know it depends on the game so for example it would play something like a Deus Ex clone set in an open world environment. I would like to set a 3 year target. And maybe have 3 or 4 full time programmers. Is that a bit ambitious.

I would imagine there would have been a neater way for me to have written all this out and maybe better ways to ask the questions. But I have got serious brain melt at the moment with all the projects I am trying to wrap up to get started and focused on this.

In fact if anybody has any sort of business plan for an indie company breaking down who to higher and who is better to out source that would be amazing.

2. DukeofRealms

Administrator

I work in management for an independent video game company and have built a development team from the ground up.

I'm going to be completely honest here. Unless you have a lot of money to fund a project like this and know people who have worked in the industry, it's unlikely that you'll be able to get it off the ground.

The reason being is that in most cases, developers have a thousand ideas of their own. Unless you can offer reasonable pay for their services, it's unlikely they're going to be interested (particularly when you're starting on a new project). It also takes a lot of leadership and inside experience to bring together a team who is going to work well together and is going to get the job done.

Now that's out of the way, here's my advice...

The only way I can see a project like this working, is by having the support of at least one competent game developer to lead the development process. I don't think that's going to happen unless you partner up and give them a reasonable percentage. In exchange, you'll have their support and a reduced (or completely nullified) payment rate. You'll have a developer who is invested in the project, and you can cut costs in initial development expenses. Unless you know a game developer really well, I wouldn't advise percentage sharing.

The most important people to have on a game development project, as is probably evident from what I've said before, is developers. You won't need them from day one, but it's going to be pointless if you don't. Development is the foundation of a video game; that's where you start out. After development is covered, you can then start considering other positions, such as 3D modelling, 2D textures, sound etc. Everything apart from development can have a free placeholder. Start with dev work first, worry about everything else later.

You can do both. The time it takes to complete a model depends on how detailed it's going to be, whether it's from scratch or not and, of course, the skill of the modeller.

The project can have a significant impact on how much they'll be asking for. I've worked on teams where we've all been incredibly passionate about the project and confident in the lead developer that we were all willing to work for significantly reduced rates. It will also work the other way, if no one's interested or confident, they're going to want more security (AKA more cash). For an indie project, you might want to consider looking at $20 - $30 an hour. It could end up being a lot more, or perhaps less than that range (if anything, it's more likely to be more).

Hopefully, I've given you a few things to consider. Good luck!