desktop PC or notebook?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Jack Norton, May 6, 2011.

1. berserker

Indie Author

You can't have laptop setup like this:
    [​IMG]
    :)
    (not my photo, but i have similar monitor setup)

2. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

I have 4 laptops: 10, 13, 15 and 17 inch size. 17 is too big, 15 is just ok, 13 is MacBook, so I don't use it and 10" is perfect. My main workstation is desktop. It gives me maximum available comfort. Because I'm a coder, projects are stored on SVN, and if I need to do something outside the office I take my Samsung NC10. Small enough to be really mobile, big enough to do some work. So if I want to work I use desktop, netbook if I really need to do something outside the office, and iPad if I want to play games :)

cheers
    Roman

3. Vatina

Vatina New Member

I mostly use my laptop. Just got used to the convenience, plus my desktop is getting so old that it's just plain annoying me. (And oh so noisy! I really need a new one.)

Optimal for me is having both though. General work on the laptop, and the desktop for more demanding tasks and extra backups.

4. Jack Norton

Indie Author

So I went ahead and bought it. I am getting a refund :D
    Really, probably is just me, but is too slow. I think to get speed comparable to the desktop (and I'm just using Renpy, nothing particularly powerful) I should spend like 600-700 eur and I don't want to do that (I think I need a notebook with a good videocard because the screen refresh/texture reload takes some SECONDS that during development time is unacceptable for me).

5. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

I am with Roman, 10inch is near perfect, I might prefer a ULV next time so I can actually do some testing on the system itself. However, for just coding or excel/project work I use it fine when getting around.

Desktop is the usual, dual monitor, fast cpu, lots of ram, big hdds and fast gfx setup you'd expect. Plug netbook in, update my code and bam full access to all changes.

I have a Asus EEEPC 1005P which is the 1.66ghz, 1gig ram, 250gig, win 7 starter model. I hate the intel graphics, but otherwise it's nice, light, has a long battery life and simple.

6. meds

meds New Member

When I was a kid I wished I had the money for a setup like that, I'm an adult now and do have the money for a set up like that, just not the time :(

I love how that guy has the exact same keybaord I have, that mouse I had in the past (switched it out for a g35 later down the line).

7. frozax

Indie Author

I am currently using a desktop (windows) and I also have an old iBook for Mac dev. I will buy a new computer in a few months and I will go for a very fast and silent desktop computer. I find it really more efficient to work on a desktop, with a large screen, large keyboard, comfortable chair and a large desk. As I don't do much mac dev recently, I only use my iBook when I'm on holidays, to check mails or to blog for instance.

8. Chris England

Chris England New Member

Yeah - I just noticed I'm typing this message on exactly that keyboard, and using exactly that mouse. I think they were just the cheapest ones on Amazon...

9. Escapee

Original Member

I use desktop PC for daily work and notebook when I travel. I find it less efficient to work with desktop PC because of gaming shortcut icons (ie Starcraft 2) on my screen. Yes, I deleted it yesterday but it does not really matter.

10. Jedive

Jedive New Member

I love laptops. I am typing this on my 5 years old MacBook, and this machine is still capable of doing everything I need it to do. There are very cheap laptops these days, and even the low-end ones are powerful enough today to do anything.

Just avoid netbooks. Their small screen and keyboard make them very easy to carry around, but very very uncomfortable to use. 13" is a good screen size if you plan to carry yout laptop a lot. 15" is better if you plan to use it mainly at home.

If you are not looking for the cheapest thing you can get, and don't mind spending some money on your laptop, the Dell XPS 15z looks incredible (it starts at £899):

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/23/dell-xps-15z-review/

If you want to spend as less money as possible, then any cheap notebook will do. Just have in mind that cheap laptops tend to overheat, and have crappy and bulky plastic cases.