[DEMO] Blind - 2D Platformer with semi-invisible levels

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by SacrificerXY, Dec 18, 2015.

?
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SacrificerXY

SacrificerXY New Member

BLIND

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Link
    I made a demo/prototype game which you can see at http://www.fastswf.com/YumAeAs. The controls can be seen at the bottom part of the page.

About the Game
    The game is a platformer where the level is not presented to the player upfront. Instead, the player is supposed to contruct the level's layout in their head based on what they observe. Basically, the idea is to let the player observe and analyze. I feel like the experience can be compared to being blind even though you can see stuff (haha how ironic). The demo has 4 levels, and I assure you, all of it are solvable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comments/Feedback
    Any comments/suggestion/criticisms are greatly appreciated. Some of the things I'm really interested in hearing:
    1. Is a tutorial needed? Did you understand what you're supposed to do in the game?
    2. Suggestions about gameplay. (e.g. "You should add gravity switching and enemies")
    3. In regards to losing, I have no idea how a player should lose in a level. Ideas? Is losing necessary?
    4. About numbers in the game. (e.g. "Player moves too slow", "Gravity feels too strong")
    5. I would like to know if there is any game with the same mechanic(platformer, invisible level). Maybe I could learn some things there.
    6. Minimalist game art is the way to go. Agree?
    7. Action-oriented or puzzle-oriented? I think puzzles are more fit.
    8. What should I call those particles? This is not necessary, but nah, I just want a proper term to call it. Perceptrons? Perceptroballs? Wisdom Particles? haha
    9. Rate how fun the game is (in its current state) from 1-10. 10 being most fun. Honesty is greatly appreciated.
    10. What are the things you like/hate about the game?
    Thanks for reading and I hope you try it out :)

Edit: This is my first post and I don't know how to include pictures in the post. I didn't expect that those images would be shown as attachment files hahaha. Sorry for my newbie-ness

Attached Files:

#1 SacrificerXY, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  2. SacrificerXY

SacrificerXY New Member

My bad. I updated the link. It should work now.

3. Stas-PP

Stas-PP New Member

Hi, SacrificerXY!
    Interesting idea! I think the game need little more features and some little graphic-style improvement. Maybe size of player or speed of waves needs some little changes.

the most annoying thing in the gameplay is to repeat the same operations again and again. But it's a part of this game and player must have steel nerves:)

You can watch some ideas for your game's new features here:

That's a game I played on ZX-Spectrum very many yeas ago!

Thank you and sorry for my English!

SacrificerXY likes this.
  4. Thom

Thom New Member

Hi SacrificerXY,

I really like the concept of your game, I was even thinking of something similar a while ago myself, so I love to see that someone is making such a thing! :)

To answer some of your questions, the demo worked very well and, with only a little bit of trial and error, I found the game also very intuitive (So just knowing the controls and introducing one new element at a time is just fine, no direct need for a tutorial).
    The controls and physics feel pretty good actually. (Maybe the red particles need some tweaking, as the “sweet spot” that boosts your jump is quite small) But overall, it feels like a nice and solid little platformer.
    I wouldn’t necessarily add enemies to the game, with the impaired vision it might be difficult for the player to know where they are, unless they emit some sort of light?
    Perhaps adding moving platforms might be a fun addition to the game, but I personally wouldn’t add losing or dying to the game as the player is already being “punished” with impaired vision.

If you are looking for inspiration for your game, I would start out with a 2D Mario game. Nintendo managed to make Mario platformers fun for so many years, and they even implemented some dark levels with impaired vision in the later Mario’s (Nintendo Wii and up), so that may be a good starting point :)

Because of personal reasons, I am a little bit against the minimalistic art style, but I would let that depend on the scope of your project, your target audience, platform and most importantly: from what art style would your gameplay benefit the most and what is possible with the skillset/assets you have available? I would still play a game with a minimalist art style (most recent one was “Thomas was alone”) and enjoy it for its gameplay or story, but not everyone does :/

And finally, I think that the game as a platformer works pretty well.
    The only thing that may become bothersome after a while, is that you constantly need to send out more of those particles to keep the area highlighted, which may eventually get in the way of actually playing the game when the levels become harder.
    Something you see in Mario is that in the dark levels, there are always things that emit some sort of light, both around the player as well as other objects in the area, so you have some sort of heading. So there is a difference, in your game you have to actively highlight the area, whereas in Mario you both actively and passively highlight the area (Mario emits light and can shoot fireballs).

Thus, to draw some sort of conclusion, I really like the idea and think you have worked it out into a solid and fun demo. The pace at which you introduce new mechanics feels good as it is not too fast and the overall game is quite innovative. The only worry I have, is that the main mechanic might get in the way of the actual platforming on a longer time scale.
    To combat that you could introduce things as light particles bouncing off surfaces (so they can highlight more than one surface) and perhaps make them highlight a surface for a longer period of time.

Sorry for the (very) long reply, I hope it can be of some use to you :)
    Best Regards,

~Thom

SacrificerXY likes this.
  5. guldenguenter

guldenguenter New Member

Wow! I guess that's bit how bats "see" their environment! really neat idea!
    1. I think a small overlay explaining the controlls should be enough
    2. I think gravaty switching is a whole different mechanic, I like what I have here already enough. enemies and trap swould be cool. you could also make that some enemies make sound themselves, so you can sense them a bit
    3. if you want to make it challenging, losing/dying is setting you back to start
    4. not sure about this
    5. I dont know any, but there are so many other games out there, hard to tell ;)
    6. I think the minimalistic art style suits your game well
    7. I like action oriented platformers more, but that's just my own preference.
    8. that's difficult ;) photons? no idea
    9. maybe sth. around 6-7. would like to see more content, enemise, traps etc.
    10. love the idea, havent seen that anywhere else. nothing to hate so far

SacrificerXY likes this.
  6. NeutralizingForce

NeutralizingForce New Member

Awesome prototype. It felt like a tutorial in and of itself, since all the mechanics presented themselves organically as I went. And I finished it quickly, feeling ready to take on bigger levels with more surprises.

If I came up with a prototype this fun, I would definitely take it into development and see what it feels like with fully fleshed out graphics, sound effects, and way more levels.

As to your other questions about mechanics, the only way to know is to test them. Sometimes an idea that sounds fun turns out to be tedious or distracting when you try it out in the game. So test everything you can think of, and only keep the stuff that adds to the overall experience. Let the game tell you where it wants to go.

It's very fun so far though. I'd give it a 7 as is, but it could easily be a 10 in its finished state.

SacrificerXY likes this.
  7. SacrificerXY

SacrificerXY New Member

Thanks for the feedbacks! I really appreciate the effort you guys put into typing and clicking and all :)

Currently I'm working on recreating the game with much better codes and stuff while also taking into account some of your suggestions. I'll just post here if I feel I made some progress.

guldenguenter likes this.