dedicated server

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by lennard, Dec 13, 2014.

1. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Hi all, I'm getting ready to start marketing Real Estate Empire 3 in January and I want to move from my VPS to a dedicated server. I'm looking at one from Liquid Web (who I've worked with before and always been happy with) that gets me 4 GB of RAM, more SSD HD than I need, 5TB of download before I start paying for extra data and 6 cores for $130 per month. I'm basically running small PHP scripts, I expect everything that I do to operate out of cache and will turn on PHP opcode caching.

Anything I should be thinking about before making the switch?

2. lennard

LiteSpeed is starting to look interesting - anybody have any experiences with it? I would like to be able to handle a few thousand concurrent users at any given point in time on a single server. This is simply PHP delivering a static page after doing some minor processing on each user input event.

3. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I'm using Linode for this site right now but it is a VPS. I don't have any experience with dedicated servers.

4. Gallacy

Gallacy New Member

Linode is great to start with (10 bucks??) and upgrade easily if you need more resources later by adding cpu/memory to the existing node.

Also have a look at Hetzner, their prices are VERY low yet it is a pretty good provider, used it many times before... They also have server auction thingie when you can get a low-end dedicated server for ~30 bucks, I guess...

5. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

One to avoid, imho: I use ee.net / xlhost
    They're a decent enough host for unmanaged dedicated servers and I have no complaints on that level but are quite inflexible and a little expensive

6. kaufenpreis

kaufenpreis New Member

Linode has gone through some turnover and some growing pains, which I believe is a temporary condition of the maturity level of the company. http://www.drogas21.es

#6 kaufenpreis, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  7. lennard

Thanks all! I ultimately settled on Unixy as they offered me a good hardware package and seem to have deep experience with tweaking Unix for PHP.

At this point what I need to do is create a strategy to simulate a few thousand simultaneous users so I can stress test the beast - one thing at a time, the next couple of days are devoted to getting the next release up on the site.

8. Nutter2000

Last time I stress tested a game like that I simply wrote a quick and dirty desktop based tool in C# to stress test the connection by simulating users sending real commands at the server.
    It forked off individual threads for each user and I used several machines (including other peoples at other locations) to run it at a massive level.
    That was an early mobile based mmo game which used an web service to communicate so might be a different use-case to yours.
    But it worked pretty well and found some decent bugs to make sure it was robust.
    Shame the project failed in the end due to management reasons rather than technical ones.

That was a while ago though and there may be better tools available now.

9. Gallacy

Gallacy New Member

10. bantamcitygames

I've used JMeter as well at work and it did the job pretty well

11. Nutter2000

That looks good, I'll have to try that myself.

Can you use it to send custom messages?
    I've found most bugs by stress testing the backend too by simulating real usage.

12. bantamcitygames

Yeah it is extensible so you can write custom tests in Java

13. Nutter2000

cool, will have to bookmark it :)
    Thanks Bruno

Iain

14. ManuTOO

Original Member

I have a server equivalent of the KS-2A listed here : http://www.kimsufi.com/en/index.xml .
    Atomâ„¢ N2800 - 2cores/4threads - 1.86 GHz+ - 4 GB RAM - 1TB HD - Unlimited 100Mbps bandwidth
    It costs about US$15/month.

My website serves about 300-500k pageviews per month, mostly PhpBB3 Forum pages (so it's not exactly lightweight), and the average CPU usage is around 50%. (or maybe 25%, I'm not sure ... Max usage on graph = 400%, with 4 threads but only 2 cores, so real max usage should be 200%, I think... Average idling is 300%)

15. speedshuttle

speedshuttle New Member

I am with KH (KnownHost), but I use their VPS program and they are awesome. Maybe you should check about their plans. they are fairly cheap and have a really fast response time.

16. lennard

Thanks SS, I've moved from a VPS to a dedicated server hosted with Unixy - about $170 a month up from $30 I was paying for a VPS.

17. glinius@live.com

glinius@live.com New Member