Dear Brits, $ or £ ?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Nikster, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Jack Norton

Indie Author

And why you say that? try to go to www.play.com and buy something in USD. :D

2. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

It makes me smile when the tin-foil-hat brigade say stuff like this as though it's a conspiracy and smile like they know something we don't. Of course this happens, and I'm glad of it.

Seriously though, all of what you listed there sounds good to me. I want fraudsters, terrorists and other criminals caught asap. I also want all the stores to know what I buy so the next time I go shopping I just walk in the door and it's all bagged up and waiting for me tbh.

I'm not just pro ID-card, I want it branded into peoples foreheads as a barcode or something. Paying for something by putting my thumb on a button sounds pretty good too. Where do I sign for that? :)

3. Applewood

This is still on my point though. I wouldn't go there because I can get it cheaper as a US import! ;)

Americans wouldn't believe how much we pay for anything! :(

4. papillon

Indie Author

Well, *some* people get bent out of shape by 'I see you've just bought 3 boxes of Studded Condoms! May we recommend this whipped cream, chocolate sauce, and box of handi-wipes to go with it? How about our special discreet hotel room service? No? How about we tell your wife?'

Or an example that I believe does actually happen at the moment - flagging accounts that have bought anything prenatal (not pregnancy tests but things that would suggest you were really expecting) and then dumping offers for all sorts of baby crap around the estimated due date. Which really, really upsets parents who miscarry.

If people used the data intelligently and responsibly I wouldn't have a big problem with it, but I don't trust certain governments not to do ridiculous crap like decide that "Terrorists order pizza, so anyone who orders pizza is a terrorist!" or to subtly discriminate against people found buying books of the 'wrong' political persuasion. I'd prefer not to have all my data from all my accounts everywhere compiled into one giant easy to access and easy to misinterpret collection.

OTOH I'm all for store loyalty cards. Yes, feel free to notice that I always buy boxes of favorite-snack-food. Feel free to offer me discounts on it, or to suggest a similar snack food that I might also enjoy. And stop DISCONTINUING everything I like!

(Hrm, there's a thought... getting a text message from your grocery store, "We're about to discontinue $item and we notice that you buy a lot of it. Would you like to buy out our entire stock at a discount?")

5. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

you speak many wise words. I don't always want people to track what I spend my cash on, its nobody elses business.
    If i ran a major supermarket that offered critical illness insurance as part of banking services, would I raise the premiums for people who seemed to buy lots of alcohol? You bet I would. But is that really what the person doing their casual shop wants to happen?
    I wouldn't mind paying by card more often, but firstly its *not* quicker than cash, and secondly, I want my purchases to be anonymous on principle. using a bank card is one thing, using a loyalty card is another step entirely in terms of giving up your privacy.
    As for security, I had my card cloned once, and lost another one. In 37 years I've never had cash stolen from me. And I never carry around my entire bank balance in cash anyway.

6. Applewood

All I step back on is that people who think total privacy is some sort of god-given right shouldn't expect the government or anyone else to do anything for their benefit. You can't expect them to guess stuff and then moan when they're wrong.

But may considered bloody handy for the much larger percentage of parents who don't but can no longer spend much time worrying about where to shop because their new infant is so demanding.

I get where you're coming from, and any obviously invasive pushiness like this is not always good thing which should be kept in check. My world would have the major store where you shop notice a lot of due pregnancies around date X and stock up to fill demand.

But everyone has a perfect world and the shit one we're in don't match any of them. Hay ho.....

7. Nikos Beck

Nikos Beck New Member

We'll just put gold threads into paper money. The gold thread is the value of the bill. Or we'll follow Star Trek and put gold dust in tin or some other worthless metal so that we can buy things in microgram increments.

8. dma

dma New Member

Actually, at least here in the US, it is starting to get faster. Now you don't have to give your card to the sales clerk to swipe, you just wave it (or your micro tag) over the credit device and you're done.

Just a few nights ago, at Barry Bonds' last San Francisco Giants Home Game, Visa was giving away keychain-sized Micro Tags with $15 preloaded on them ... they really seem to want everyone to use credit for everything.

Here's an article about it with a picture of the device.

9. Artinum

Original Member

And herein lies the problem. If you fake a paper bill with only a fraction of the gold on the outside, rather than the correct amount - how would anyone know? Your gold/tin mix could be anything too unless you have assaying equipment nearby. And what about iron pyrite? Short of a chemistry lab in your shop, fake money would be near undetectable for anyone except big businesses.

I'm not expressing any opinions on anything here - just throwing some juicy bits into the thread for a healthy debate! You lot are far more entertaining than anything I could come up with on the subject.

10. cliffski

no shit. visa want everyone to use visa. I'm sure that's great for visas profits, not sure its great for everyone else. I don't like the idea that my bank details can be read remotely without even physically touching the card. that's just a security nightmare. The delay in purchasing is never the authorisation or the change, its the lack of people working the tills.

11. dma

dma New Member

Yeah, I agree. I don't know if people are really buying into it anyway, no matter how much Visa hopes they do. It just seems strange to buy small items like a coke or a burger with a credit card. But maybe some of the less financially well-off will see it as a godsend, as they pull up to McDonalds for their daily fix.

12. soniCron

Indie Author

You know, not everyone who uses credit cards only pays the minimum balance. ;)

I use my credit card for every purchase I can possibly make, and then pay it off in full once or twice a month. Most places around here only take a second to swipe and go--few require signatures, so it's faster than paying with cash.

I don't have to carry cash around. I don't have to manage coinage. I don't have to wait for change to be made. I have an automatic tally of exactly what I've spent on what. I have protection in case my wallet (or pants!) get stolen. I never have to "go get cash." Etc., etc... I love my credit card.

But I agree: I'll fight until death to keep cash around. Anonymity and privacy are important freedoms we shouldn't just give up in the name of convenience or "security."

13. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

An interesting debate this... but looking foward a lot, I'm already convinced all money/cash/credit in the future will be electronic and hard cash/currency will become a thing of the past with big brother knowing everything you do with it every second of the day. You cannot stop it really and it's no doubt going to happen, but not 100% in our lifetimes anyway so why worry about it :p

ID cards are 'another' small step but of course it's not going to end there - that's where it begins moreover, but something of this scale (single currency electronic credit) would take many decades to bring into force globally.

My advice: Put those tin foil hats on while you code and stick with the US$ for now :)

---

When will ID cards be introduced?
    Our decision to introduce a National Identity Scheme was announced in the Queen's Speech on 17 May 2005. The Identity Cards Act received royal assent, becoming law, on 30 March 2006.

We will introduce biometric residence permits for foreign nationals in 2008 and we expect the first ID cards to be issued to British citizens in 2009.

---

2045: Skynet or is that 'Sky internet broadband'? heh, becomes self aware and takes over the planet - hope not :)

#33 Adrian Cummings, Sep 29, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  14. Nikster

Original Member

wowzers, this topic had folked off somewhat :)

maybe we should all forget direct transactions and have an indiegamer token scheme, it will be like being at the fun fair :)

15. zoombapup

One thing for the security concious. I've been seeing the prepaid credit cards on TV. Maybe that is the cash alternative. That way the payment system works optimally, but you can still be anonymous (well, to a certain extent).

I guess they could still link you via the method of paying into the account. Bah, ok, that doesnt work :)

We're screwed.

16. Desktop Gaming

Do people realise thats exactly the same as a debit card, do you think?

17. Nikster

Original Member

Not really, you get different protections when purchasing via a credit card compared to a debit card, also I thought the prepay stuff was for the randomly generating CC number thing, one of the many ways to avoid fraud.