Dead Wake (upcoming beta 5) videos

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Game Producer, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

#1 Game Producer, Sep 24, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  2. lakibuk

Indie Author

Might be because i just got up, but i can't find the videos (shooting zombies) in the first thread.
    Is this version already using the Unreal engine?

btw: Beta version: Most functions of a program are finished but not yet tested. This looks more like pre-alpha.

3. Nexic

Indie Author

First it was going to be a standalone single player FPS, then it was going an Unreal Tournament mod, and now it's a top down tactical multiplayer game. Strange development process there, but it does look a lot more promising with the latest change in direction.

4. chillypacman

chillypacman Guest

hey, you're using the zombies I was going to use in my ZAMN remake, damn you :p

Ah well, game looks good but my net is slow so I'm not sure but how are you handling the controls? Since it's top down are you using a mouse shoot/wasd movement setup?

Actually I have one criticism: in the third video from the latest videos list it looks like all the zombies are walking in synch, at first I thought it was just coincedence since they all spawned together but even so it kind of looks robotic. Aside from that I haven't seen enough to compliment/criticize (not until the other videos load at least).

5. Game Producer

Fixed link... now it's there.

No. We are using Blitz3D.

I'm doing my best to speak to the player language... and they have heard about "beta" versions, but not sure if they know what "pre alpha" or "delta" etc. versions are. I'm launching "beta 1, beta 2, beta 3 etc." to show that the it's in "development". Since I launch a new version about every month, I think this is pretty good way to describe it. So far haven't heard complaints from the players in this matter (a few game developers have mentioned this though)

You are right though. :)

Yep, yep. We've done our best to find the way to finish the product and the game idea. Take one (NeoAxis engine) was too costly, take two (Unreal Mod option) would have required too much resources (programmers/animators/whatnot), take three (current way) right now feels good. If that's strange... then so be it :)

6. Game Producer

Heh, just use them too. They look good :D

Not using WASD, only mouse.

Aye, they all have the same animation speed in that video.

7. Nexic

Indie Author

Well, strange isn't necessarily bad. All that matters is you get it finished and make loads of money :)

8. chillypacman

chillypacman Guest

Ah, that is actually quite clever.

I dunno what you're using to make the video but there's a directx demonstration of cloning animation controllers so you load the model up once and can render it multiple times with different frames and animation sets, but you're probably already doing something similar?

I want to because I have a big ego and want to show off my fancy code which makes them all spawnin droves but I have to think about the cheesiness factor, 3D models just don't fit in the world. Still, I might add them anyway.

Also it looks like I'm ripping dead wake off enough as it is (guess why).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yeah I'm using the church from dead wake, buahahahahahaha.

besides I'm too busy working on giant babies.

#8 chillypacman, Sep 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2008
  9. Game Producer

No idea what you are talking about... but if this means "animations will go in different speed & can be different" then the answer is "yes" :)

Heh :)

Hah hah! :)

10. chillypacman

chillypacman Guest

Well those zombies you're using (if they're still the ones from 3DRT?) *should* have different walk animations, so you could load the zombie animation in once and have multiple instances of it running through the game with different walk animations.

I think what really sells the 3DRT models are the number of animations, but the catch is the more animations you load the longer it takes...

and sorry for not being clearer, I just got back from a five hour drive :eek: