Dead Wake free-to-play (barricading) zombie game out now

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Game Producer, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

2. JarkkoL

JarkkoL New Member

How's the SM3 requirement working for you? And congrats for the release :)

3. Game Producer

4. chillypacman

chillypacman Guest

SM3.0 seems a bit steep considering the games features could easily be done in SM2.0, shadow mapping, deferred lighting(?) were all first made possible for everyone with SM2.0 second gen cards, but given from what I remember SM2.0 second gen cards were also SM3.0 I suppose it doesn't really matter too much :p

5. zoombapup

This is the kind of game I think unity3d is perfect for. As you mention you think your ideal level of programming is the "game scripting" level, then I'd highly recommend looking at Unity.

Plus it has released games. A webplayer and other good stuff.

It feels a little bit too restrictive for me (I'm half engine, half gameplay kind of coder) but for you it sounds ideal.

6. JarkkoL

JarkkoL New Member

Your SM3.0 technical problems seem to be specific to Leadwerks engine, but I didn't mean that. Rather, do you get a lot of complaints of people not being able to play the game because it requires SM3, i.e. does having SM3 requirement for an indie game seem to limit your user base alot? I'm just thinking of releasing the game I'm working on with SM3 requirement, which is why I'm asking :)

7. Game Producer

I think part of the issues are about SM3.0:
    - "game does not work!?" type of questions. Then it turns out that the guy has a laptop with integrated vid card. So, the answer is "ditch the laptop".

I think some of them are SM3.0 specific, some Leadwerks (2.24) specific issues:
    - ATI video card issues (with Leadwerks), this was fixed in 2.24
    - flickering shadows in 2.24, this was fixed in 2.28
    - Some of these could be fixed by updating to latest vid card drivers (one bug actually appeared when doing the upgrade, so you might be better of it earlier).

Unknown:
    - missing weapon :D (very strange, don't know whether this was SM3.0 shader issue, driver issue, or Leadwerks issue - or something between)
    - Blank screen (this might have been caused by video card, leadwerks, or more often my game...)
    - Missing shadows (some guys reported this as well, I would guess some sort of video card issue)

Bottom line in my opinion:
    - SM3.0 support is not so great: you can ditch most laptops, and my secondary computer (3-4 year old) had trouble running the game
    - Leadwerks 2.24 had issues (assumingly 2.3 is better - but I've gone through enough upgrades, and they were pain in the arse to do. :)), but I believe there's still some LE specific bugs that cause problems with computers.

(The reason why I chose Leadwerks was that I'm familiar with Blitz, so taking BlitzMax+Leadwerks was like a tons of shorter learning curve compared to for example NeoAxis).

Yeh, I've actually played around a bit with it and read tutorials (even bought a book to save time checking it out what the tool is all about) and asked some questions at the forums. It does feel pretty interesting (and the syntax seems pretty easy to pick up as well - I happen to have tons of JS experience as well).

And of course now it's for Windows too - which is one reason that kept me at bay earlier.

It might be suitable for me.

8. FlySim

Indie Author

I also recommend Unity. After years of writing C++/OpenGL, I tried a few engines (TGEA, Ogre, and Unity and looked at many more). So far Unity has been a joy - things just seem to work and it is organized really well (compared with TGEA - scripts calling scripts.....). It also seems to run well on older machines. The web player is pretty cool too.

9. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Big congrats on the release Juuso! About time too ;-)

Now to focus on winning that 500K Activision prize ;-p

btw, your download is stinky slow over here in Canada @ 34kB/s.

10. wazoo

Original Member

grats on the release man!

11. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Looks great! I just never seem to get tired of zombies! Can't quite explain it.

12. Game Producer

@BantamCityGames: Yeh, it's universal.

:p

Dang. I'll put some mirror links available at some point.
    It could also be about the traffic - the site has got some now after release.