Custom World Platform: an idea I would like to get feedback to

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by MystDr, Mar 14, 2015.

1. MystDr

MystDr New Member

I came up with this Idea about 10 years ago. I think about it frequently but I never had and still don't have the money nor the skill to make it a reality. Now in the Kickstart era it has become a possibility. But before I invest my time in making videos and creating graphical charts etc. to make a Kickstarter I would like to have some feedback:

I call it Custom World, it's basically a platform/community where people can get and add resources. Now you would think: there are a ton of websites like that. Yes there are, but this is different:

Anything (music, engines, graphics, etc......) can be requested or added either "free to use by everyone", "earn money if the resource is used" or "add money for a request". Anyone that likes to have a specific resource can add money to a request that has been made. It might start at 1$ and get to 1000$ or more (like Kickstarter). Now when an artist/programmer has created the requested resource and earned that money, the resource is not just available to the ones that requested it, it is available to the whole community. This is important for the growth of the platform, so the library can grow fast and become vast. (Later when the library and community is big enough options for content that is not shared can be added.) The content then can be used/changed/modified or build upon by everyone. If a programmer or artists does not want something he's added to be available for free he can use "earn money if the resource is used" to earn from a product someone else has created with the help of that resource. The one using the resources sells his product/composition and the one that created the resource earns money. The good thing about this is that the developer does not have to pay for the resource upfront. That way a single person could make a game just by combining the resources that are available and many can profit from the finished product. Beginners and professionals alike can earn money by either adding resources or creating content for others that was added with the request feature. Single devs and small dev teams can have hundreds or thousands of programmers and artists as support. Games can be created faster with better quality for less money. Programmers and artists have more creative freedom, less stress and can create content the way they imagine it and still earn money. The platform would earn money through small fees to stay alive and kicking but just enough so the servers can stay up and the people working on the platform can live. No get rich scheme like eBay and Paypal!

Let me explain how I got the idea and why it is important to me. I love indie games, in my eyes they are the only games worth playing nowadays. They are creative and fun, the way games should be. I'm a pretty old-school gamer, I started playing games in the 80ies and never stopped playing. Sadly most commercial games especially the ones from big company's are getting worse every year. The games lack creativity and their whole existence is to leech money from peoples pockets. Programmers and artists are treated like slaves. Games have become like music and movies a tool to gain power and the quality suffers greatly because of that. So many games and company's with potential have been destroyed by big publishers just by denying some more development time.
    The big ones have one great advantage over the small ones: resources. The archives for textures models music etc. are huge and are still growing. How to compete with that? Easy share your resources, just take a look at Linux and how huge the community is!

Many have a lot of ideas they would like to create but lack the money and/or can't find a team to develop them. I never had the money to pay others to create my ideas and whenever I tried to find others to make a game with, everyone wanted to create their own idea. It is a childhood dream of mine to make games but alone even if I used all of my time I would only be able to make small games. I can't let go of that dream and I know I am not alone. With the Custom World platform people that would otherwise not be able to make games, can create them! Even children could make games! It would be possible to create a detailed description of a game with design examples etc. add a list of required resources and the community could create the content ready to be put together into a game. Even if the game flops artists and programmers have no loss.

The main focus is games but it could also be used for 2D or 3D animations and other software.

Feedback especially critic is wanted! Please tell me if you would support a project like this.
    I myself think this is a great idea. I'm pretty poor but I'm willing to invest the little money I have and all my time into this.

#1 MystDr, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  2. MystDr

MystDr New Member

So no answers means nobody likes the idea? If I don't get any feedback I have to assume that nobody cares about this = I wont invest any time in making this then.

3. Gamination

Gamination New Member

Well, have you looked a Multimedia Fusion 2? It's kinda what your describing, but a little bit different. It's got resources, plugins, and an active community. Or are you looking to create a different one?

I don't have any skill in anything, I'm just curious about this and want to help get a conversation started

4. luckylike95

luckylike95 New Member

The good thing about this is that the developer does not have to pay for the resource upfront.

5. Ben.F.Rayfield

Ben.F.Rayfield New Member

I would use a platform where people put their money into an account to be paid to whoever creates the described opensource resource by a certain time or is refunded if nobody creates it by that time.

It would be agreed in advance who would vote on, or what process would choose, if each resource is what was asked for and is high enough quality and by what specific measures.

Examples of measures of the resources trying to claim each money:
    * Is an implementation of a given API, specific function names, parameter types, and simple datastructs which describe the work to be done by the resource and how it looks coming in and going out.
    * Has input to display delay of at most 20 milliseconds.
    * Total code size, including dependency files, is less than 300 kB.
    * Works on certain operating systems.
    * Is available to everyone under specific opensource license(s).

This would be more generally useful than just indie games.