Cthulhu game done right

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by DavidMikulic_, May 18, 2017.

1. DavidMikulic_

DavidMikulic_ New Member

I want to make a game, another game in the Mythos universe. But this game will be different; It wont be one of those mundane fighting games, I would like the main character in the game be truly insignificant. That nothing he/she does will affect anything. That the main character throughout the entire game will think that he/she means a lot but that that will turn out to be completely wrong. I am just toying with the idea so I dont really have a big story all in my head but i want the game to progressively become scarier as the main characters mental health declines. In the end there should often be shifts between dream and reality, and every dream should be a kind of a level, trying to stay undetected from Cthulhu. When you merely look into the eyes of the infinetily powerful godlike Cthulu fear should impale the character making the player loose control for about ten seconds until the character in the game finds a god shelter. Okay all of this is just thinking and it probably has a lot more cons than pros. Feel free to leave criticism and ideas!

:)

2. Archduke

Archduke New Member

Do you want to make a Cosmic Horror game, or an action game with Cthulhu in it? Yours sounds like the latter, which is totally fine, you should just be very clear about that decision as you design.

Cosmic Horror is very much about unimaginable terrors, which means Cthulhu definitely couldn't show up. If a character was in the same square mile as Cthulhu, let alone looking directly at him, their mind would be instantly devastated. They wouldn't be crazy for ten seconds, they would be gibbering husks of insanity and effectively dead. There's still a game that could exist here, but it wouldn't be about hiding from Cthulhu.

Your tone sounds more like Silent Hill -- straight up action-horror games with a bit of a psychological bent. With those trappings, you can do whatever you want. You get to show Cthulhu and make him a big scary guy that the player actually gets to interact with a bit.

Just expanding on the options. Have fun!

DavidMikulic_ likes this.
  3. DavidMikulic_

DavidMikulic_ New Member

Thank you for your reply! I definetily do like the idea of never even seeing Cthulhu, I like the idea of Cthulhu being so unspeacably scary that seeing him in the game would cause an instant heart attack for the player and instant waking up or even actually dying. Maybe the more the game progresses the harder it is to tell difference between dream and reality.

The silent hill thing is cool but it would seem weird to try to compete with a masterpiece like that, but maybe people won't see it like that! Anyway, thank you for your reply!