CRM or Contact Manager?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Jay_Kyburz, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Jay_Kyburz

Original Member

Do any of you use a contact manager to track your customers or dealing with portals and other websites?

Any recomendations?

2. Cartman

Indie Author

Hi Jay,

I can shed some light on medium size to large size CRM applications like Siebel, Pivotal and Onyx, but I can't help much with the smaller ones. Most of them are way outside the price point of a small to medium studio. I've had many years of experience implementing and working for some of these companies.

The main things that a CRM solution offers is the ability for different people in your organization to quickly pull up reports and data on individual vendors, customers, and companies. Here's a good example: If your sales guy is going to call a customer and try to sell them the new product, they would first go into the CRM system and check the latest activity that your company has had with that customer. The sales guy may find that the person has had trouble with a previous install and this information could help the sales guy because he could try to smooth over issues. Less surprises for your people.

In a nutshell a CRM application allows people in your organization to share valuable information with each other easily. But it only works well in a larger organization IMO.

Now back to your question:
    ACT may be a program that could help you for a smaller price point($229).
    Also, as part of the Microsoft Action Pack ($299 first year, $199 there after) you can get a legal copy of their CRM product(which integrates with Outlook) as well as other tools. I heard a rumor the other day that Visual Studio .NET is coming free in that pack in January as well.

3. Jay_Kyburz

Original Member

Thanks Cartman,

My plan is to find something before I start my marketing push. I plan to contact allot of people and want to have a solid plan for managing those contacts.

I did have a look at ACT! yesterday and will look into the Microsoft solution later.

Jay