Creating art assets...

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Reactor, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Hi guys, along with everything else I'm doing I'm going to put together a few art packs with the budget consumer in mind. So, my question is- is there anything specific people could use? Certain things like isometric tile sets would be completely new to me, but I'm wiling to give anything a shot once I know how people would like things made up, and even what format they could best use them in.

Anything and everything you've ever wanted on a silver platter... I'd love to know about it :)

2. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

I'm always surprised that there arent human template characters out there. What I mean is, that there arent human 3D models of varying polycounts, that are UV'd in a way so that you can layer different clothing on them for variety (PSD layers you can switch on and off basically).

There is a company that does exactly this, cant remember the exact name of them, but they charge 2000usd per pack. But I can see why its popular, they are pretty good quality and have almost infinite variation.

Other than that, I'd like to see some more stylised art (characters and props).

I guess my difficulty is that one peice of art is never enough for things other than rough placeholders. To be useful, there has to be a large amount of content using a similar style. 3DRT stuff comes to mind.

I'd like to see a "POCOYO" style character :)

I'd like to see a character that looks like shaggy from scooby doo.

I'd like to see human villagers (man, woman, boy child, girl child, old man, old woman) with variations.

I'd like to see huts, trees, benches, leaf clutter, bushes, rocks, japanese buildings, iron age houses etc.

3. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Cool, thanks. So, would I be correct in assuming 3D models are more what you're after?

Just to clarify- you're after a basic human character that's distributable with the game, who has a number of texture sets (mixable, as you've mentioned)? Also, what kind of polycounts would you like to see?