Creating a Fan Star Wars game UE4 [gameplay video included] looking for a team.

Discussion in 'Help Wanted (UNPAID AND PROFIT SHARING)' started by Dinozavr, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Dinozavr

Dinozavr New Member

I am developing a fan SW non commercial unpaid, about Boba-Fett character, it will be action-rpg with some kind of open world, i made all of this in one month while working alone, it is hard enough so i am looking anyone for a help, if someone has a good knowledge of Unreal Engine 4 can help in development.
    Here is the gameplay link btw.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sideroxylon likes this.
  2. Sideroxylon

Sideroxylon New Member

Welcome to the best forums for indie game developers world-wide, ever.

The video looks really great, maybe you could try to make a real Star Wars: Battlefront 3 game which would substitute the current EA rip-off bullshit.

3. Dinozavr

Dinozavr New Member

Thanks! damn i was so mad to what EA made to new Battlefront, so i decided to make my own game, im sure i cannot make a game like battlefront because it is multiplayer oriented, and need alot characters to be playable at once, too much weapons, vehicles etc, but i think i can handle a game about one character, single-player oriented, i choosed Boba-Fett because he is cool and have alot gadgets, weapons, and is great hero for a game, but he doesn't have the force, but anyway he can fight with the lightsaber, i decided that would be cool enough to make saberfights hard due Boba-Fett is not a jedi, and enemy sith or jedi could use force aswell.

Sideroxylon likes this.
  4. Dallas Crane

Dallas Crane New Member

I compose original Star Wars music. I do not copy themes; rather, I understand the musical language and create my own work.

Check out "Star Wars" and "Mood Demos" Playlists for examples.

https://soundcloud.com/dallas-crane-1

5. Sideroxylon

Sideroxylon New Member

Welcome to the best forums for indie game developers world-wide, ever.

Your musical talent is at least as good as you look nerdy. Really like the music.

6. Dallas Crane

Dallas Crane New Member

Thank you for BOTH compliments! ;) Cheers.

Here is another track that exists outside the two posted playlists above:

Sideroxylon likes this.
  7. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

Just a word of caution - the game does not have to be commercial or monetized in any way to fall foul of a trademark suit. Especially now that Disney is in charge... Using the name "Star Wars" or any characters lifted directly from the franchise probably isn't the best idea.

I'm not trying to be a Scrooge, but a similar thing happened a while ago with a free hobby project of a Smurfs (not an active TM) game for the Amiga (not even an active platform!). The game does not have to be for sale, nor does it have to make money in any way for it to be legally violating trademarks. It just has to be made publicly available.

It might be an idea to make the publicly available version a generic space game... with the option for the community to mod it themselves. Of course, nobody needs to know that it is you who provided the mod to turn it into a Star Wars clone ;)

Besides that, game looks great! Good luck!

8. Sideroxylon

Sideroxylon New Member

Still better, than sucking the fan's money out of his pocket with a mile-wide vacuum cleaner.

9. Dinozavr

Dinozavr New Member

The game will be absolutely free and it will not have any "Star Wars" name, game will be just named "Bounty Hunter" so i dont know if they can ban me for that.

10. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

Like I said, the game being free has absolutely no bearing on copyright/trademark infringement. Just a heads up.

Definitely a good move to change it from "Star Wars" to "Bounty Hunter." I'd also be careful to only include generic characters, and allow them to be modded later.

All the best!

11. Dallas Crane

Dallas Crane New Member

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter is already a PS2 game.

12. Dinozavr

Dinozavr New Member

I know it but i am making my own game for PC, and there will be no "Star Wars" in the game name, just "Bounty Hunter" and the game will be not about Jango-Fett but about Boba-Fett. It makes the difference)

Dallas Crane likes this.
  13. Dinozavr

Dinozavr New Member

Amazing mate! I will contact you, the hardest thing for me is to make level design.

14. syntaxterror

syntaxterror New Member

Not to Disney's lawyers it won't. I'm pleased to see that you haven't received the same amount of abuse that another Star Wars fan game author received on one of the Facebook groups.

The simple fact of the matter is that it doesn't matter how much you change a name, if you use any of the characters from the Star Wars franchise then you run a risk of receiving a lawyer's letter. Disney may not see the game or, if they do, decide it's not worth the effort. It's highly likely that Boba-Fett is trademarked. They have been trademarking EVERYTHING in relation to the new movies (the first anyone heard about Captain Phasma was from trademark filings) so you can guarantee they'll have done the same with all the others.

Just a word of warning from someone with some legal training. I won't tell you whether you should proceed with the game as it currently stands or not. That's your decision.

15. Dinozavr

Dinozavr New Member

Thanks for warning mate, i can change design and names of the characters and other things to make it not to be "Star-Wars" it is not a big problem, the game is not released yet so many assets will be changed in the future, maybe ill make a SW alike game about bounty hunter, but i will make it SW based, so the gameplay will be like SW, i can leave the SW assets for a SW mod for a game like the higgipoker said before, it seems to be the best option.

16. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

Just may be of interest - Huge corporations like Disney hire solicitors whose only job is to trawl the world for possible infringements of their trademarks... these solicitors make money from the prosecutions, so like cops who get a percentage of each speeding ticket they issue, you can't talk your way out of it!

There have been instances on the internet where people have received notifications to "cease and desist" and some demanding up to $4000 for administrative costs for EACH letter they had to send (including the first one) before you stopped, otherwise they'll sue for ridiculous amounts.

Of course, many of these are frivolous and wouldn't stand up in court - but they have the funds and are in the business of playing the percentages. If you can't afford to challenge it in court, it probably works out cheaper just to pay up at the start.

The guy who made the Smurfs game got one of these letters. His game was a hobby game, free for download and he made no money from it whatsoever. In fact, only a handful of people on an Amiga forum knew it existed!

P.S. The kicker to all this is that it can be very difficult to ascertain if the letter is actually from a representative of Disney, or from a crook firm making money out of scaring people with frivolous letters! It could cost you a lawyers fee just to find that out for sure!

#16 higgipoker, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  17. Dinozavr

Dinozavr New Member

They cant sue me if i did not released anything yet, there is no even public demo yet, it is just a video that shows some tech-demo and only i have it, and on the moment of release there will be no SW related assets, only mod that will be released later, so i think it is nonsense, i am not intend to pay anyone for the SW copyright i did not used in the final product.

18. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

Dude, it was just an interesting "aside" for info, and heads up.

However, this is the very attitude that WILL come back to bite you in the ass. They CAN sue you. Someone claiming to represent them CAN sue you. Even if they are complete con artists, just getting the suit dropped CAN cost you thousands of dollars.

Even if it's complete "nonsense," they COULD sue you merely for using the name and trademarks in a free demo.

A lawyer could argue loss of revenue because, anticipating a free Star Wars game from you, people didn't buy the official game. This is a legitimate and actionable claim. How would you feel if you created some great IP that you make your living from, but people stopped buying it because an amateur started using your name and ideas to promote his own free alternative?

It's an interesting and important topic: be informed and don't merely dismiss it as "nonsense." It is not.

19. Dinozavr

Dinozavr New Member

Thanks for the tip mate, but what can i do in the future to be not "sued?"

20. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

I'm not qualified to advise you, I just know that it's happened in the past. The guy with the Smurfs game being a case in point. Seems a bit ridiculous to send the guy a cease and desist (with demands he pay admin costs) for releasing a free, hobby, 2D platform game on a system that's been dead for 15 years, yet they did!

Again, I'm not an expert, but I'd say it's fine to us phrases like "Star Wars tribute" or "Star Wars fan art" in your promotional material, but I wouldn't use the name/logo/font/characters or anything that could be mistaken for being affiliated with Star Wars.

Like, if you make a soccer game, you aren't even allowed to use real player's names, or real team names! Sounds ridiculous, but worth keeping in mind.

P.S. I don't mean to direct everything at you personally, but it's an interesting topic on an Indy Dev site where many members *will* be looking to profit from their games.

#20 higgipoker, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016