Creating a company identity and legalities of intellectual property

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by HollowedEmpire, Oct 23, 2018.

1. HollowedEmpire

HollowedEmpire New Member

I've been working on a side project and game engine a few years now and starting to come to the idea of starting an official studio/company for it and making an identity. I've heard from several sources it's good to get word out and an identity for yourself as soon as possible, and not to wait until the game is much further along to do that.

Though getting out there in the real world, specifically the legalities of it, has me a bit scared haha.

My question is how soon should I start to really dive into the legal side of things? Should I show off the game before even having any legal protection? If the off chance an entity copied my game and got a trademark before me, would I be able to hold grounds having proved I showed it off first? Though on the flip side, if the game doesn't do well it certainly would be a lot of wasted effort getting the protection.

Same questions can apply for making a company identity, should I just make my presence be known before getting trademarks or other types of protections? What if it too gets taken and my only case I have is that I was out there first? In the case of a company identity though, I feel getting protection is a less risky bet - even if one my first game out fails, I can still release another under the name.

I just wanted to hear some ideas and thoughts from everyone else, and see if someone having gone through the process could also provide insight. Really getting a game out in the world is a whole new unexplored experience for me after all. Want to verify if I'm the right level of concerned, or overly. ;)