Crazy game ideas: A creativity exercise

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Mark Sheeky, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Pyabo

Original Member

What, you've never heard of Harvest Moon? It's rather popular... available in several flavors and multiple platforms.

2. Lerc

Indie Author

PoV's post reminded me. IMO the best licence for a game waiting to be exploited is Antiques Roadshow. Buy stuff in jumble sales, pawn shops, antique shops etc. take it along to the antiqes roadshow and have their guys tell you what you bought and what it was worth. Bargin Hunt would be a similar deal (for those that have seen that).

Actually, that would also be a cool feature to a diablo style RPG. Have a Magical Artifacts roadshow. Get to queue with other adventurers while you wait for the experts to tell you all about the Items that the monsters were carrying.

3. mahlzeit

Original Member

A possible solution is iconic representation of dialogue. Instead of text, icons appear in the text balloons. To respond to a character, you choose from a palette of generic responses, e.g. "I want to reply nicely to this person" or "I want to say something nasty to this person."

As far as repetitiveness goes, you can theoretically build a storyteller engine that generates the storyline on-the-fly. So the computer builds all the content dynamically, not you. This is, of course, what interactive storytelling is all about -- and it's still in its infancy, so here's your chance to be a true inventor. :)

4. serg3d

Original Member

@ Dan MacDonald: non-violent conflict
    For a long time I'm toying with idea of non-fighting RPG:
    RPG without fighting whatsoever. Fighting replaced by trading. And trading dominated by barter (Like in Ultima Underworld), money are not in use (or there is several currencies with floating exchange rate). Each NPC have several attitude stats toward player/other NPC/factions - awe, frendliness etc they all modified by trading and faction status. May be NPC/factions can fight each others, but player can not. The idea is being treacherous manipulative bastard.
    I'll not be able start it in forseeable future - over my head with other project :(

5. Andy

Original Member

I like this one very much! Sold Out! :D

6. princec

Indie Author

I've been developing a game called Space Baby Bunny, which is more or less a multiplayer card trading game.

As Space Baby Bunny, your granddad Ol' Mean Rabbit has given you a trusty cargo tug and five items of cargo to take to the stars and trade for more interesting stuff.

The game is all about swapping items for other items by landing on planets. Eventually you must return to Earth with a set of cargo to count your score. There are especially extra cool bonuses for getting complete sets of certain items.

I haven't figured out yet whether I want to deploy the game as HTML, an applet, or a full client, or whether to make it realtime client/server or turn based.

Anyway, that's my strangest idea. Most of the rest involve zapping things.

Cas :)

7. Raptisoft

Indie Author

Well, here's a game I've always wanted to do, but never will, if anyone wants to pick it up...

I was a big fan of Populous, and I'd still like to see a "God Game" that had you breeding your subjects for desired traits. Your little village would be made up as individuals and you can strike them with lightning, or cause two to fall in love. Married pairs pass their traits onto their children, so you need to guide two people with high desirable stats together. Similarly, you need to smite people with, say, -50 faith or a tendency to steal, lest they go out and reproduce. You want to reward your best warriors with many wives, etc, etc, to breed stronger children.

Dunno how it would pan out in actuality-- might be too boring or too much micromanagement-- but it's something I always wanted to try. In fact, by now, someone's probably already tried it and it turned out to be too much of a dud to actually sell. :)

Meanwhile, your opponent would be doing the same thing-- smiting good people, and causing two bads to fall in love.

An alternative way to design it would be that you have two boards-- the "resource" board, where you're breeding people, and the war board. The premise being that whenever a person dies, he either goes into the angel army or the devil army (smited people go into the opposite army). Then you duke it out there Warcraft style.

#27 Raptisoft, Jan 31, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  8. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

Consider your first copy sold my friend.

9. Mark Sheeky

Indie Author

A game where characters get old and die would be original.

Howabout a guitar playing game where people grab the keyboard and have to hold down different combos of function keys with the left fingers to get the correct chords while pressing the keypad to strum.

Mark
    Cornutopia Games
    http://www.cornutopia.net

10. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Along a similar lines, there's suppose to be a DS game where you play the guitar using the stylus. Nifty.

11. mkovacic

Original Member Indie Author

Heh, I've had an idea for a piano playing game where you have to press the keyboard keys in a correct order and with correct timing to play a piece (the sequence appears on the screen karaoke-style above the picture of actual piano keyboard playing).

The fun part was that if you get it wrong, your virtual character also plays the piece wrong, making the same error you did (either the timing, or the, ahem, "pitch" ;) ), so there's a strong connection between what you press and what you hear - hopefully people would be feeling like they're playing Chopin or whatever themselves, even though they're just pressing a key per sec.

12. Hamumu

Indie Author

yeah, along those lines, make it the mouse to strum (hold the button to actually put your pick down, so you can pluck individual strings and move up and down to do different sets). Then if you make it a 4 string guitar, you could use my alphanumeric system - e.g. 1QAZ would be the the highest note on the 4 strings, all the way over to 0PLM being the lowest (non-open) notes. Man, that would wear your mouse out, not to mention your hands. You'd probably end up wondering why you were wasting your time not playing an actual guitar. My reason would be because chords are way too hard to hold properly and pressing keys is much easier.

13. mkovacic

Original Member Indie Author

I think it would actually be better if you just focused it on strumming, and have a set of predefined chords per key (Q-I for majors, A-K for minors, maybe modifier keys (SHIFT, etc) for fancier stuff). Make it so that you can see the actual chord on screen, and you can pitch the learning aspect, too! :D

Or you could have both.

14. Sirrus

Original Member

http://www.educationalsimulations.com

15. Sirrus

Original Member

16. impossible

Original Member

That's genius, I think you just came up with a game that my mom might consider playing.

17. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

I've been actually toying with a VERY similar idea for a Time Travel game for well over a year. I've even put together a couple of rough prototypes, but I struggle to progress further because the mechanics are so damn complicated. It basically boils down to a Action/Simulator. Because if you alter a situation at a particular time with NPC, you'd have to simulate a new future for your character, all affected NPCs, and possibly the environment. All actions from every character and item have to be recorded, so the player can jump back at any point on the timeline. Not to mention you have to deal with paradoxes. Basically a nightmare to program. :)

I haven't given up on it yet as I keep trying to find ways to simplify it. It was one of the last game ideas I discussed at lengths with my mom before she passed away, so it would mean a lot if I could bring it into fruition one day.

#37 Chris Evans, Jan 31, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  18. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Lawks, I think I'll stick to real guitars!

I do like the Antiques Roadshow/Bargain Hunt idea. It should actually be quite easy to do, if you don't mind going to lots and lots of antiques shops, photographing the items, and talking to pleople about them. You could also sell lots of upgrade packs for it, branded as a "new shipment of stock"...

Having an Antiques Roadshow in a RPG is a great idea. I've wanted to make an irreverent parody RPG for the longest time, but it's too much work to do what I had in mind. But that idea would fit right in.

19. GhostRik

Original Member

I think that sounds like a lot of fun, but only if the bad guys take multiple shots to be fully incapacitated. The first hit would make them woozy, then progressively more drugged. It could even become a limited ammo scenario where you have 50 bad guys who need Yx3 darts to fully knock them out but you only have Y darts so do you make them all woozy and avoid them to reach your mission requirement, or put some of them to sleep and deal with the others?

I keep seeing these bad guys staggering around a futuristic playing field and it seems hysterical. And, of course, if you take too long they'll come back to consciousness so there's a built-in timing mechanism.

20. Illusion Games

Original Member

My 22 year old son wants to develop a Suburban Lawn game. You get to pick a yard in some suburb and you are in competition with your next door neighbor's, the Jones. You have to seed it, weed it, water it and mow it. He especially liked the idea of the riding mower simulation.

Even though we were laughing about it, we realized that it would probably be a very popular "game". Kind of like Deer Hunter.

BTW - about the Time Travel game ideas. It would be very difficult to anticipate the player going back in time and then doing it again to see themselves because they would have to see themselves (the first time) coming to visit themselves. Uhhmmmm, it made sense when I first thought of it! :confused: