Crap thread titles won't get your thread read

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by princec, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. princec

Indie Author

Should you use a crap thread title like "some advice?" or "I need help" you're pretty unlikely to get many of the most useful or active members of the forum bothering with your thread. Many people here have limited time and scan the forums quickly to check what's going on.

If you want to catch their eye, be specific, on-topic for the forum you are posting in, and attempt to use proper spelling and capital letters. If English is not your native language, run it through an English spelling checker first. You will be surprised what a difference it makes to the number (and perhaps even the quality) of the replies you make.

Cas :)

2. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I agree. Try to make sure your thread title is meaningful. You'll get a better response so it's good for you and for the people reading it.

- Steve

3. stan

Original Member Indie Author

I definitely agree (except the capital letters thingy which doesn't seem so important to me), but this post will soon be lost at the end of the threads list. Maybe it could be "pinned", renamed to something like "Forum rules - READ BEFORE POSTING", and completed with other useful info :).

4. princec

Indie Author

I think the mods round these parts are going to put a sticky FAQ in each forum soon enough... yes?

5. ^cyer

Original Member

Could be possible that someone deletes my 2 forum post/poll about "how much ram is on your video card" and "what kind of computer do you have"?
    I have put these two in the "Game Development & Technical" section.
    Don't see why the administrators would delete them ...

6. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

^cyer the polls were removed because they did not meet the topical requirements for the forum, this is not entirely your fault because the forum description isn't quite enough to accurately describe the intended contents of this forum.

We will be posting some forum FAQ's in each forum shortly to help clear up these types of issues. But in essence this forum is intended for technical topics as they relate to game development. Your polls while they did relate to hardware, did not relate to game development and arguably were not technical questions either.

The polls you posted were asking members of the forums about their personal systems, I suppose in some attempt to get a better idea about the members of these forums. Often what happens in these types of posts is members brag about what types of systems they have etc. The result is a social thread that really has nothing to do with "technical" game development questions.

A "technical" game development question would be something like....

You can see how the responses to this question would be technical in nature, as opposed to social.

a typical response might be,

Since you posted those polls so close together (before there had been response to the first one) I took the approach that you were posting noisy off topic threads and deleted them.

The past few years at dex have shown that polls are like "Bait" for new members. Each new member tends to post the same poll that the last one did and they get repeated over and over without adding any value to the forums or the existing membership. Because of that we have just disabled polls entirely. If you want to brag about hardware, post a new topic in the "General Chat" section and go at it.

7. Nikster

Original Member

princec, kind of ironic this thread has had quite a few reads ;)

8. Screwball

Original Member

Yeah I was about to say this topic has a crap subject and I still read it :p

Seriously though, unless topics are catching and sound interesting or I have a bit of time on my hands, they will get read. Otherwise I generally skip them.

9. ^cyer

Original Member

Dan MacDonald: "We will be posting some forum FAQ's in each forum shortly to help clear up these types of issues. "

- Yes, you do that.

10. Morphecy

Original Member

Where can I get a GOOD English spelling checker? (okay... I write English pretty well but I want to learn the grammar properly and start writing some articles) :)

11. princec

Indie Author

There are ways to get people to read things even if they seem superfluous ;)

12. princec

Indie Author

Your English is already as good as mine is... and about 1,000,000x better than my Finnish.

13. Morphecy

Original Member

Hopefully you Cas don't consider this as stealing your thread :D but I certainly have problems with those "on", "at", "with" thingies. In fact, I don't know whether I should have used "on" or some other word instead of word "with" in my previous sentence. (And I use to put "thingies" everywhere ;))

Seriously: I would appreciate to know where to get a decent spell checker.

P.S. now this is off-topic but you got me curious: please tell me few finnish words (you have to know more than 1 word because I certainly know more than one. And zero multiplied by whatever figure gives zero - that means you got to know few words :rolleyes: )

14. Andy

Original Member

Guys, listen what I propose to you...

Let princes shut up with his marks on anybody's English and let Dan MacDonald move this thread into appropriate place - don't know where it is but this is obviously not something connected to Indie Business - follow by your own rules Dan.

If you will not do that - I'll (personally) shut up my participation in these strange new forums at all...

Thanks,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.