Couple of DS questions...

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by JGOware, Jul 14, 2010.

1. JGOware

Indie Author

Looks like we're going to be diving into a DS project here shortly, and I was just wondering if someone could answer these questions, thanks. ;) I'm not the engine coder but I was still interested in this...

Using the 3D render pipeline:

Can you do additive blending? (Useful for explosions, etc.)

Can you mopdulate (tint) the RGB of a triangle when rendering? (Useful when you have a greyscale object and you want to color it.)

2. Columbo

Columbo New Member

It's been about 3 years since I last did any NDS stuff, so I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure the answer to both questions is yes.

3. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Probably. I used both heavily on the PS1, and the N64/DS was always said to be better. Just don't expect bi-linear filtering.

4. sulaiman

Original Member

There is tinting but no additive blending modes. That makes it a real pain to implement particle effects. You can see in screen-shots that most DS games use either normal alpha-blending or solid sprites for particle effects.

5. JGOware

Indie Author

Thanks for the info. Filtering is basically one small step up from pixel, but it still ends up being pixilated. Looks like scaling down instead of up is the way to go. ;)

6. JGOware

Indie Author

Very cool...looks like the engine I'll be working with will support 3d on both screens. The end result is a game running at 30fps, but this should not be a problem. This will be much easier than dealing with the old fashioned sprites, tile system. eek...

7. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

I actually liked working on the GBA style 2D hardware. Kids these days. ;)