Costikyan goes Indie (sort of)

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by PoV, Sep 28, 2005.

1. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Not sure if this is at all any bit meaningful to anyone, but the guy behind The Scratchware Manifesto, and a number of other industry related hate articles has decided to do something, instead of just talking. I found this on Gamasutra, and figured *maybe* some here cares. You can read about it at his new company's site or his blog.

http://manifestogames.com/

http://www.costik.com/weblog/

Yep.

2. soniCron

Indie Author

3. AlexN

Original Member

Wow, what he said is truly inspiring. :)

Thanks for the articles.

4. djinni

Original Member

I don't know if it is all that old news, it doesn't seem like many people have the cojones to strike out with disgruntled indiedom right at the forefront of their new venture quite like these guys... With all the press and followers I think it could bring us closer to building this "indie spirit" and actually translate it into a real market

:confused:

5. tentons

Indie Author

Well I hope it expands the market for "hardcore" indie games, the market I am after. At the very least, they are raising awareness that there's a demand and a supply for these types of games. It can only help the downloadable games industry.

6. merovingian

Original Member

Yawn...

Costikiyan is about 10 years too late here. A whole bunch of you guys have shown that the indie path is viable (hell Derek Smart demonstrated that even if your game sucks to all but a dedicated cult, and you're perceived as reprehensible, you can *still* make it), and Mr. Costikiyan is jumping onto yet another bandwagon to relentlessly flog his name.

It got old 5 years ago. Nothing to see here. Move along.

7. Leon

Original Member

This is a great idea.

I just came to post this very link(Just showed up on GameSpot).

I think it's a great idea. There was already the idea of creating some kind of indy website to publish games posted here that didn't get far that I am aware of because no one could fully agree on certain issues.

Well, now Greg Costikyan has decided to do something about it with the same kind of idea.
    I think it's very important for the people who have created indy games or who are in very interested in his website/indy label idea to e-mail him and let him know what kind of support he has.

"It's time to put my foot money where my mouth is.

I suspect it will come as no surprise to those who've read the GDC Rant, my Free Play presentation, or my recent screed in The Escapist that I've been thinking a lot over the last few months about how to foster the development of a thriving independent games sector--and have come to the conclusion that it's possible to build a viable business to do so.

So I'm pulling the trigger. At this point, I have no funding, other than a little money myself; nothing ready to launch, either. But I do have a partner, the offered support of some other companies, a clear sense of what I need to accomplish in the next few months, and a draft (not a final one) of a business plan and financials.

This is, of course, terrifying; I'm leaving a nice comfortable job for an extremely early stage startup, with the prospect of no income for possibly as much as a year (or more). But there does come a time when you have to stop whining about things and try to change them.

The new company will be called Manifesto Games (there's a placeholder website here); its motto is "PC Gamers of the World Unite! You Have Nothing to Lose but Your Retail Chains!" And its purpose, of course, will be to build what I've been talking about: a viable path to market for independent developers, and a more effective way of marketing and distributing niche PC game styles to gamers."

If we want there to be this label and the opportunities that it can bring to indy gaming companies, then we have to act now with him - not later.

So please e-mail him (greg +at+ manifestogames +dot+ com) and let him know you're behind him and his idea.

8. GBGames

Indie Author

Well, aren't people already making indie games? It isn't like joining Manifesto Games prevents you from being legitimate, right?

I think it is promising, but I would like to know about how it is implemented before I decide to support it.

9. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

I dont get it,
    He wants to publish indie games, but he admits he has no money at all, and presumably no experience of the indie market.
    How is this any different from someone from gamedev wanting to set up a l33tgames.com portal?
    Is this guy an industry legend with serious contacts? whats the background?

10. Leon

Original Member

He's been working on boardgames(mainly) and computer games since he was 14(http://www.manifestogames.com/who.html) and has won Origins Awards. He, apparently, is also a frequent speaker at the Game Developers Conference and E³ so I'd think there's some pretty decent contacts there. Already news of his idea, and website, has been up on GameSpot, Slashdot games, Game Daily,
    Edge, Penny Arcade and Joystiq with I'm sure many more to follow.

11. Hamumu

Indie Author

I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict "huge flop".

12. soniCron

Indie Author

13. brianhay

Original Member

I know ManifestoGames.com is only a placeholder site, but it's a truly gastly colour scheme (yellow on blood red) and nearly unreadable because of this (I had to 'Disable Page Colors' with the Firefox Web Developer extension just to ease the assault on my visual cortex.

Good concept on the whole but I hope he teams up with a great artist/designer as the website currently doesn't inspire confidence in his vision.

Brian.

14. merovingian

Original Member

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone needs him. It's like he has this vision of fighting the power, but fails to follow through on where that really takes one.

Hint: not to some Che Guevera of gaming.

15. KNau

Original Member

I've always agreed with the manifesto in principle but I'm disappointed that his only answer to the "gaming industry gone amok" is to become yet another on-line publisher.

In case no one's looked around lately - the online game industry is running amok, too. The last thing we need is another publisher who takes 70% of the income in return for nothing more than access to web traffic.

16. ErikH2000

Original Member

I have the same cynical reaction to the hype as others, but still...

He wants to make a portal that is for non-casual indie games. Do we really have that now? The guy is good at getting attention, which probably also means he'd be good at getting site traffic. Now if he can get that site to actually exist...

-Erik

17. Allen Varney

Original Member

Good thing you're here to make sure nobody takes him seriously, Merovingian. By all means, do everything you can to undermine Greg's effort before anyone sees whether he might possibly deliver. That'll show him!

18. merovingian

Original Member

Better yet, let him triumph and I'll celebrate his success, 'K?

I've been watching that guy hop onto other people's bandwagons for years now and I've yet to see anything come of it. This just seems like the latest incarnation to me.

19. tentons

Indie Author

He didn't say he was going to set up the next RealArcade. He's not interested in casual games, so that sounds like a Good Thing to me! The non-casual markets need a good kick in the pants to grow. Why so much negativity and vehemence? Isn't any attempt to expand markets a good thing for everyone?

20. ErikH2000

Original Member

Yeah, I figure let's see what the guy can do, and not to be too jealous that he gets so much attention.

Also, he's looking to collect these non-legally-binding letters of intent from developers to help him attract investment money. If you are interested in having his portal carry your game in the future, (assuming it gets off the ground) you may want to e-mail him. I did that earlier today and received an encouraging reply.

-Erik