Cosmo Bots Beta

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Mike Boeh, Oct 31, 2004.

1. FlySim

Indie Author

This game is a bit addictive and is distracting me from getting my contract work done. The fact that Im currently porting Fortran code from the '70s has nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

2. stan

Original Member Indie Author

Impressive level of polish! The filling effect is very nice; couldn't figure out how it's made. The only thing I think could be improved are the texts, maybe with a stronger gradient.

If I understood correctly the comments in this thread (didn't read everything), this isn't the smallest area that is filled but the area with less monsters. I'd rather get the smallest area :).

Maybe in the title screen tutorial you could add that you have to fill the play area... I don't remember seeing it mentionned.

3. EpicBoy

Original Member

I find sometimes too that I split a very large area and neither side will fill ... is that intentional? It's very disheartening when I make a long line connect and I wait for my reward, only to receive - nothing.

4. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

It's a metaphor for the life of the indie developer, you see.

5. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

http://www.retro64.com/cosmobots_beta.exe
    I put a new Beta up at the same URL... I made a ton of changes, here are the highlights:

-Fixed crashes
    -New level select screen
    -Changed how fills are decided, it just picks whatever side is smaller now.
    -Added combo bonuses when you kill baddies. This is the single best improvement (imho), really adds a lot to the game!
    -Made high-score screen so it can be mouse only
    - tons more!

I would like to mention that I disabled sweepers, so when you catch that powerup, nothing happens.

Thanks again for the feedback guys, it really did help!

#45 Mike Boeh, Nov 4, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  6. lakibuk

Indie Author

Runs well on my PC.
    But on a friend's PC there's a problem: When he finishes the first level the game crashes to the desktop without any message.

7. Mike Boeh

Can you have him re-download it? (making sure it isnt cached)
    Thanks!

8. lakibuk

Indie Author

Ok,done. Now the game crashed the first time he clicked "start game" in the start menu (right after installation). He started it again and it worked without problems now.
    I found some strange behaviour in your fill algorithm. Don't know if it's as you want it.
    Sometimes no area is filled, like in the image where i made a line in the middle of the playfield.
    http://www.blueskied.com/level4.jpg

9. Mike Boeh

When the space on either side was equal, and either side had the same number of enemies, it didn't fill either. I just changed it to pick one at random in that case- and re-uploaded :)

The crash concerns me, I suspect fmod somehow :eek:

10. EpicBoy

Original Member

I will say that the game seems extremely easy now. I just breezed through the first 19 levels without even breaking a sweat. Maybe we've gone too far the other way now. :) I often finish the boards because all the enemies are dead...

11. Valkilos

Original Member

First of all, I played the game for a while... but after the first time, I've been unable to get the game to run. It lets me go to the level select screen, but once I choose a level and go to start playing, it crashes to the desktop. I have yet to get to play again, even after a reboot :( Which is a shame, because this game is quite addictive!

Oh, and for reference, as far as the crash goes - I've unlocked up to level 30 (got to 34), running Windows XP on a P3-869 with 384MB of RAM.

I think the game balance could use a bit of tweaking - I found the first twenty or so levels to be a pretty quick breeze, and then found it to be suddenly very tough going (hurrah for levels with over a dozen enemies that require shooting across the entire screen!).

Something that may be worth adding is a failsafe, if you will. I found that in some of the later levels (particularly 30+) that if I sealed off a significant portion of the level without killing enough enemies, the level becomes practically unwinnable. Then my only option was to die a bunch of times and start at the last checkpoint. So, by failsafe, what I mean is a little something, say, on the pause menu, with a "Forfeit a life to restart level" option. Another option might be some kind of gameplay device - say, a super shot you can use once per level, that will make a single uninterruptible line, but you immediately lose a life.

The power-ups could use some balance - I found that some levels came down to whether I got the appropriate powerups or not. Slow Shot is absolutely crippling, while Fast Shot makes almost any level a breeze. You may want to tone down the difference in speed, or make them last a limited number of shots, or something. Collecting multiples of the same weapon power-up wastes them (for instance, picking up three missiles or freezes at once), which kind of negates the point bonus for a multiple kill. Seeing the sweeper power-up made me cry, because I could've gotten a useful, working power-up instead :(

I also noticed that I could occasionally fill both sides of an area if I centered myself right, leading to a whole bunch of 99% scores in the early going (It would've been 100%, but the counter won't go to triple digits). I wasn't sure if that was intentional or not. That also made me think of the possibility of another kind of point bonus - extremely high % ending level bonuses. If the % over bonus were, say, doubled if you got more than 90%, or tripled if you got more than 95% filled, it'd be rather cool, IMHO. It may lead to some ludicrous scores, but hey, people like seeing big numbers at the top of the screen :D

I hope this helps! Oh, and let me know if you figure out why it won't run anymore... I need my CosmoBots fix :D

12. Diragor

Original Member

Very well done! Great game. No crashes or technical problems for me.

I'll throw in my agreement on a couple of previously mentioned issues: 1) it should remember the last high score name entered, and 2) the difficulty seems to jump suddenly around level 20.

I've also got a new one to add to the pile: I find it annoying when the game decides to automatically flip my shot orientation as I move around.

13. Ferdi

Indie Author

The game runs flawlessly on my computer. I managed to complete all the 40 levels. The last 10 levels were challenging, I had to retry a couple of times. My top score is 69409. :D

The only problem is after you finish the demo, you can click on the big question mark circle ( in the start game menu ). You slide the level to 100 or 500 depending on which question mark you press. Then the game quits on me.

Cheers

Ferdi

14. Melin

Original Member

Hey!

I'm Staffan Melin, the music composer for this game.
    As I've read through the posts, I've noticed some people don't like the music. I know this is bound to happen, you can never please the whole crowd.

It would be really nice with some feedback though, especially from people that did NOT like it. It would be cool to know what's bad.
    I know some people will not like the style itself, oldskool techno, but that was what I was told to do. Also, I had to work with old programs such as Fast Tracker, since the music had to be in XM format.

Anyway, hope some people like it!
    Take care,
    Melin

15. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

>It would be really nice with some feedback though, especially from people
    >that did NOT like it. It would be cool to know what's bad.

I think the music is a weak point in the game. But that's not to say its completely terrible or doesnt work at all. I just felt it could have been better.

The music itself is actually not bad. If someone were to just play the track for me and ask if I like it, I'd say yeah that's pretty cool. My problem is more with how the music is used in the game, and how well it jives with what's going on during gameplay.

Zuma is a good example of game music done "just right" -- First off it fits the theme of the game very clearly and distinctly. But it's also about how the music fades into the background during regular play, and then changes slightly and subtely to become more tense as you approach losing a man. It's how it becomes happy when you've won..and so on. The cohesion of game and music is very tight.

In this title it feels like the game and the music weren't made for eachother. It feels like a simple pairing of some tunes and states; track1 -> intro; track2 -> playing level; track3 -> highscores etc... At least for me they didn't feel like they locked together that nicely. It felt like a good game and good songs stuck together but not really working together to a common goal/experience. There's a certain standard-feel to it.

16. Melin

Original Member

I can agree with that, and I actually made some intros and stuff, but somehow all of them seems to be cut out of the game. I was never told to do any certain parts like you're talking about. I just make the music I'm told to make.
    You're right though, and usually there are a lot more things like winning tunes, losing ones etc.
    Maybe we should implement that? What do you think Mike?
    I'm sure up for it and it would make the game a bit more fun.

17. princec

Indie Author

I agree; get a few more tunes in there. And turn them down a little ;)

Cas :)

18. Melin

Original Member

You gotta talk to Mike about this though.
    It's really not up to me what to put in the game, even though I create the music.
    As you said, svero, I just got a list like "track1" "track2" etc, and that's what I did.
    If anything else should be implemented then it's all up to Mike.
    Whatever he decides, I'm there to compose. =)

Take care,
    Melin

19. Mike Boeh

I don't necessarily agree with Steve. I do think the music fits the theme of the game. Spacey techno music for a spacey techno game :D

Implementing the music to change in a game like Zuma just happens to apply a lot more than in Cosmo Bots. When the balls close in on you in Zuma, it's a gradual process, so it's easy to tune the music accordingly.

As for intros, the only one I cut was the intro to the title music, because it just didn't go well with the splash screen, which would have occurred during the intro, and would have been too slow. The only real change I have done with it is to lower it during gameplay to be a lot more ambient.

20. aduro

Original Member

am i on crack? the exe link gives me a 404 error no matter what browser i use.