Cosmo Bots Beta

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Mike Boeh, Oct 31, 2004.

1. tolik

Original Member

I really can't understand the phenomenon of KraiSoft "uncasual" games on casual channels. I'll better ask the big guys before I'll start making my false assumptions ;)

BTW, Here's my fav screenshot :D
    Have fun fixing glitches.

Attached Files:

2. Midnight Synergy

Indie Author

Addendum: Now I can select Level 25 again - weird, couldn't before after multiple reloads. Ran into another bug a few levels later, one of the areas didn't fill properly (there was a tiny gap where the "fill" should have squeezed through) but I couldn't fill it later either - hence impossible to reach 85%. I've attached a pic, the unfillable area is where my spaceship currently is.

Good luck with the hunt - I know it's frustrating stuff!

Attached Files:

3. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

With regards to the graphics and whether or not the portal crowd will play, I don't see that it's any problem at all. Maybe I'm wrong, but there's no indication that casual gamers prefer one graphical style over another that I can tell. I think they just want it to look nice, be clear, accessible, and easy to play. This game does well on all those fronts. It's 1 mouse, 1 button and fairly easy to figure out. 2 secs and you're "playing" - there's barely any need for tutorial etc.. Casual gamers may not like the style of one particular game, but as has been pointed out several games with hard core graphics and casual pay have done well in the past.

4. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

Thanks Patrick, that is one of the easy-to-fix ones :)

5. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

I think people's assumptions about "casual" are starting to get out of hand.

6. GrahamGoring

Original Member

Enjoyed it quite a bit although the way the scenery stays the same and the predominantly grey colour scheme meant that the levels felt very samey when there weren't interior bits of siding you could latch onto because many of the enemies didn't feel different enough. Perhaps giving the enemies different sounds will create distinct aural feels for each level and differentiate them more. It'd be nice to feel a little more panic if there was a particular noise for when the speeding up beetles were scrabbling towards your line.

Are all the levels symmetrical, btw? Only it seemed many of the early ones were and that contributed significantly to the feeling of repetition as you're immediately halving the number of level designs (although I suppose that's done and dusted now).

The presentation is very nice indeed although having the drawn bonus icons seems a little at odds with everything else being rendered, but I'd take clear drawn icons over possibly indistinct rendered ones any day.

The level selector seems a little clumsy with the arrows, plus having an enemy sprite show the player's progress is a little odd, too. I'd just prefer a simple line which was colour coded to show your current progress with another colour being used to show where you've selected to start on the line. But maybe I'm just being too picky.

As it stands I still think it needs a *little* more to make it special, like Wayward's suggestion of more advanced bonus multipliers, perhaps even factoring in a DANGER bonus if you manage to complete a line while an electric shock is moving up it towards you (and therefor getting that nice risk-reward dynamic which Bangai-o! excels at) or maybe reducing the points scored per enemy depending on how many lines you've created on the level so far so a very bold first move will net big points. Plus obviously you need bombastic presentation of these elements as they are awarded, perhaps by having a nasty electric sound that ramps up at the spark gets closer to you on the line with an appropriate louder payoff if you complete the line before it gets to you.

7. princec

Indie Author

I'm not so sure its the "casual" aspect... it's the "feminine" aspect. The graphics are incredibly masculine. Charlotte's mum didn't even give the game a second glance. Even a screenshot would convince her she wouldn't want to play it.

Not that this is a problem! Jezzball is already nicely ensconced on the machines of thousands of ladies worldwide, but I bet their teenage brats don't play it because it looks like poo.

Cas :)

8. Rod Hyde

Original Member

* The game plays very well and definitely has that one-more-go quality. My wife even chose to play it instead of Ricochet Recharged, and believe me when I say that takes some doing.

* The graphics were darker than I would have expected for this type of game. Personally I quite liked them, but I did keep expecting to see a fleet of aliens scrolling down the screen, because they reminded me of old 2d shooters. My only concern is that screenshots are often the first thing that people look at when they decide whether to download something or not and I wouldn't have had any idea what the game was about from the screen shots.

* The music and sound effects were fine, in that they weren't jarring or grating, but I don't actually remember them either.

* Maybe I was just being a bit thick, but it took me a while to figure out how to select the starting level.

The bottom line is that I wish that I'd written it.

--- Rod

9. EpicBoy

Original Member

Really nice! I loved it. I didn't think I would but your implementation is perfect ... you took what was cool about Qix and kicked it up a notch. I was fully expecting to have to cursor around the edges like in the original game ... the shooter device is a great improvement!

Some quick notes:

- remember my name from the last time I entered a high score. it's annoying having to retype it all the time.

- how about a powerup that gives you help for one shot? like it causes your line to go green when you are in an optimal firing condition based on the locations of the various enemies? Just a thought...

- when starting a new game, why not default me to the highest level I can start at? Odds are, I'm going to want to continue from my previous (as close as possible, anyway) location, not the first level...

10. SmartMelon

Original Member

I managed to try out Cosmobots this weekend and overall I was quite impressed. The production values were very good although the music wasn't my taste. Great animations and effects. Most of the bugs I encountered were mentioned by other people but there were a couple of other minor glitches I saw. The sweeper didn't appear to work correctly when in slow motion, and if an enemy was walking on a section of wall that was destroyed, the enemy could wind up stuck in mid air and not be able to move. I found the axis selection annoying at times, but I didn't realize that right-click would work so I should go back and try it again.

Are there going to be any more enemies in the full version than in the trial? If there is, then you should mention that in the Buy Now screen. If not, maybe you should hold off on a few of the enemies - try to give them a little more incentive to purchase the full version.

Overall a great game - I wish you luck with it!

Graeme Sweet

11. Hamumu

Indie Author

I want to second the people who suggest advanced scoring possibilities. That adds tons of replay value and everybody who knows me knows I live for combos!

Ideas for this:

1- as someone else said, make it always fill the smaller side rather than the one with less enemies. That way, the player can strategically (and riskily) try to corral the enemies into a small area and blow up a lot at once.

2-obviously a combo multiplier for blowing up multiple badguys at once (say multiply their point value by how many guys you got).

3-simple, but I think flashing numbers floating up from enemies you destroy to indicate how many points you got is always good, it's satisfying when that number is huge.

4-when filling earn progressively more points per 'block' that fills in... 1 pt for the first, then 2, 3, etc. This rewards filling larger areas more (exponentially!), which is good because that's much harder than filling smaller areas. Accordingly a big number floating up from the area you filled to let you know how much you got is good too.

5-for these floating numbers, I always enjoy when numbers zoom over to the score counter to get added in, that's an idea.

6-Keep separate scores for your full game, and for individual levels, so you can go back to a level you like and try to beat your record there.

7-powerup that gives you x2 points for a while... and/or get x2 points when Hyper Motion or Slow Shot is active (x4 for both), /2 points when Slow Motion or Fast Shot are on (/4 for both)

8-I noticed there's a bonus scheme which seems to be based on # of shots used. I'd like to see that bonus stuff tally up and incorporate more things. Could be # of enemies killed x100+ percentage filled x1000 (since the level ends at 85%, this would require you to strategically fill right close to 85 and then get one big grab to finish it with extra - really advanced strategy, when it's not just luck) + best combo points - points for time spent - points for shots fired. Regardless of how much stuff is included, it would be good to indicate well what IS included in the bonus.

9-when I was playing it, I was actually thinking about the blackbelt system in Mutant Storm. Don't tell Bongpig, but you should rip that off! Some sort of overall reaching multiplier that grows as you keep yourself alive through multiple levels.

Anyway, there's some ideas if you want to shoot for a more high-score-based type of gameplay. And of course, having online high scores built in boosts it even better. Gets people really excited about it.

12. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I think this game is really fun! The graphics and animations are nice. I didn't notice the music really (meaning it wasn't obtrusive), so thats probably a good thing for this type of game. The overall polish was excellent.

I agree with a previous post that eventhough my progress through the levels was fun, I didn't feel like I was working towards something. I'm noticing this same problem with my current project... and haven't come up with a great solution yet.

Keep the retro-style games coming! I love 'em! (I used to play Qix for hours on my atari)

13. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

Not certain that "casual" must always mean female. World Domination is now our top seller and it's mostly adult males buying it and it's definitely a casual game. People seem to ignore us adult males in the equation. Look at Alien Shooter or AirStrike, I doubt too many women are buying those yet they seem sucessful.

14. EpicBoy

Original Member

Another small bug ... after I played the game, exited and came back in I was able to start at any level I wanted to. It would be cool if I was locked out of the levels I hadn't reached yet. :-/

15. Optigon CG

Original Member

Hi all. I'm Jim. The artist for "Cosmobots"

That's the way it will be in the actual release. I believe Mike did that so you can all get a chance to test several levels of the game.

16. Greg Squire

Original Member

Mike, Your beta link doesn't seem to be working anymore. Maybe you're in the middle of some bug fixes or improvements?

Anyway I remember playing CosmoBots out at IGC and I was impressed. The visuals were the first thing that grabbed me. The graphics are definately superb (Nice work, Jim)! I also liked the gameplay and the idea of having a shooter instead of walking the area like in Qix.

As far as the name goes, I don't think CosmoBots is a bad name. Maybe something like SpaceGrab, CosmoCapture? I'm sure you'll find something good.

17. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

Actually I didn't mean to do it at all :) I just left it in there by accident. Anyway, I fixed all the crashes, working on some of the requested features now. I especially like the combo bonus idea.

18. tolik

Original Member

If you are implementing complex scoring system, don't forget to make "score counter" for each level which will provide a theoretical max score for each level. That way you'll be able to balance the levels in each episode yourself.

19. aduro

Original Member

i get a '404: file not found' when i try and download the exe

20. Nemesis

Original Member

I gave the beta a shot.. brilliant.. I love the music, graphics, style and everything. I don't think it's necessarily a hardcore game. It's not horrendously hard and it's fun to play.

Congrats Mike... keep the good stuff coming!