Composer - Vel9 Studios

Discussion in 'Music & Sound Portfolios' started by levani, Oct 29, 2008.

1. levani

levani New Member

Nine Pounds Studios just released the immersive, post-apocalyptic RPG Xenome: Episode 1 -- It's currently at the #57 spot in the appstore! It has been creating quite a buzz on all the app review sites.

I've also heavily updated the Credits page with a lot of new video content -- about time I evolved to embedding videos.

It is almost my first month anniversary in LA -- it's been a lot of work but I've really enjoyed my time here so far -- been preparing for this for quite some time now (since this thread began actually, that's interesting to think about). It just feels good to be in a place that provides composers with so much potential for growth.

#41 levani, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. levani

levani New Member

Klicktock's Little Things just got released for the iPad! If you have one of those beautiful devices, I'd certainly recommend checking it out. And apparently Apple like its too, they've made it the iPad App of the Week.

July was very productive -- scheduled some great projects, and the next two months will see some really cool releases -- already looking forward to announcing them.

I've also added a new audio reel, called the Vel9 Dream Reel MP3 -- Enjoy!

----
    And, almost forgot, I also have a twitter now.

#42 levani, Aug 5, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  3. levani

levani New Member

Hi everyone,

Some nice updates for August:

1. Little Things by Klicktock has been doing very well since its release earlier this month. 4.5 out of almost 600 ratings. The music has also been getting some great mentions in the reviews and user comments. It is an iPad exclusive game and is #2 in the US store. Awesome.

2. Zombie Escape by Viqua Games has also been released and is in the Top 50 at the App Store. It is also doing well with the reviews.

3. The Crimsons by Wabo Studios is a very cool horror/survival game, just released on the App Store a couple of days ago.

Meanwhile,

I'm at work on an unannounced Xbox game, and two very cool casual games featuring my original score are due for release in the next month or two.

4. levani

levani New Member

Hi everyone,

Some very cool updates for you here:

1. Victorian Mysteries: Woman in White - Just released on Big Fish Games by Freeze Tag. Currently sitting at #9 on the charts. Great hidden-object game with a captivating atmosphere, music was a lot of fun to write. If you want a quick overview of the music, check the Vel9 Mystery Reel, lot of the music from the game features in it.

2. Manta 2010 - Just released to the AppStore a few days ago, a very cool, roaming space-shooter. Has a very sci-fi, textural soundtrack, one of my first in the genre.

3. Little Things - Continues to dominate the iPad store, 4.5 out of almost 1200 ratings now. Some great mentions for the music too.

I'm also getting nicely along with my current projects. There is another very cool casual game that will be released in the next few weeks, and I can hardly wait to put up an update for that.

5. levani

levani New Member

Hi everyone,

Things have been going very well here over the last month. Most of the time has been spent on various games currently in production and a couple of exciting project bids. Meanwhile, I'm happy to say that both Victorian Mysteries: Woman in White and Little Things have continued their strong showings in the charts.

I've updated some of the reels. It certainly takes a little more time to maintain six different reels, but I'm hoping that they're useful in helping you find the music you're looking for.

I've also started a healthy twitter @vel9studios -- If you use that peculiar service, I'd love to hear from you.

Also, if any of you live in the LA area, I'm always happy to meet for lunch. Just send me a quick email.

#45 levani, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  6. levani

levani New Member

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all gearing up for some great holidays. It has been an incredible year for me in terms of game-music and I'll post a little recap after the New Year. Meanwhile, over the last month I've been busy on the Xbox game that's due to be released early next year. I've also been announced as the composer for Mousechief's Arcada Mia -- we've posted a little preview medley of the music on the main game site: http://www.arcadamia.com/

I'll also write the music for a highly anticipated game due out next year, Warsoup by Moon Studios: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkpcPGIEjOs

Things are moving forward very nicely. Can't wait for 2011!

Levan

#46 levani, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  7. jcottier

jcottier New Member

I just listen to your portfolio. Really impressive stuff there!

JC

8. Musenik

Original Member

(kidding) Please don't hire this guy until 'arcada mia' ships!

He keeps tweaking the music, making it better and better. His compositional sense and excellence at communication (understanding and describing) make him an incredible asset to our team.

9. levani

levani New Member

@jcottier -- thank you for taking the time and listening to some of the music, I definitely appreciate that.

@Musenik -- haha, thank you!

10. levani

levani New Member

Happy New Year! I hope everyone enjoyed the holidays.

2010 was an incredible year for me. At the end of December, I brought the total number of projects I've worked on to 70. In October, I began work on an awesome Xbox Live game, and throughout the year composed for quite a few compelling casual games. The popular iPad game Little Things was recently featured in Apple's Rewind 2010. Not an easy achievement, that. Congrats to Klicktock, the developer.

I look forward to being continually challenged by the incoming projects in 2011. I imagine, aside from some expected tough periods, 2011 will be a lovely year. Mousechief's arcada mia release is going to be a highlight, as will the release of a number of other very interesting projects. Should be great!

Meanwhile, here's a cool trailer I recently wrote the music for: Gemini Wars Teaser

I wish you all the best with your projects! Keep crushing it.

11. levani

levani New Member

Hi everyone,

Hope you've had a great last couple of months. I've been nice and busy with various projects, thought this would be a good time for updating you on some cool recent projects. It has been a year out in LA now, and what a year it has been. Couldn't have gone any better.

Draw Race 2 - The game is being developed by RedLynx, published by Chillingo. Going to be out pretty soon. You can check out a little preview of the soundtrack with this teaser here.

Redbull Rail Kombat - A snowboard take on some pretty sweet fighting styled promo. So much fun to write for.

Shop-n-Spree: Family Fortune - Developed by Viqua Games. Just recently published by Big Fish Games, did very well with the reviews!

SimBin's STCC 2 Trailer -- Quite a fun racing promo, features some pretty cool, energetic music.

RogueSky - being developed by PebbleBug Studios. Looking pretty awesome, the music was so much fun to write, can't wait til it's released.

Have a great summer and let me know if you'll be attending E3!

#51 levani, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011
  12. levani

levani New Member

Hi everyone,

Hope your summers have gone well! It was a busy one here. Some of the good news:

Draw Race 2 - The game was released a few days ago and has become quite a hit! I'm hoping some of you may have actually picked it up and tried it out recently.

RogueSky - Another great game published by Chillingo and developed by Pebble Bug Studios! You should definitely pick this one up too, it has such a beautiful art-style.

And that Xbox game I've been working on? It's Hulk Hogan's Main Event, coming out in stores for Xbox Kinect quite soon. I actually got to play it at the Majesco booth during the E3, that was really a great experience.

I've also updated all the demo reels, hope you enjoy the new material!

13. Musenik

Original Member

Fabulous, Levan! I'm just sorry '7 Grand Steps' is taking so long to finish. Then more people could enjoy your music.

14. levani

levani New Member

Going to be a great game though! Worth the wait.

15. levani

levani New Member

Hey everyone! Wow the year is coming to a close so fast. It's Thanksgiving week already. Goodness. Going to play a lot of video games on Thursday.

Last couple of months have been a lot of fun, I worked on Discovery Bay Games' SNL: The Game for iPad -- first time I got a chance to work with jazzy elements. Also worked on their Hidden Pictures projects, if you've got an iPad lying around, check em out!

Chillingo released Draw Race 2 and Rogue Sky -- both games have been getting consistently positive reviews. Always great to see. Most recently, I've been at work on a really cool project that's due out early next year -- writing a lot of gritty, 20th century harmonic, orchestral music for it. Really proud of how it's coming along.

I also hit my 100 project mark last month. They're not all big, involved projects, but it has really been a challenge, and it has taken me four years of hard work to get there. I can only hope it'll continue this way.

On a personal level, I finished a short piece for full orchestra just recently. Going to send it to some of the smaller orchestras around the states and who knows, maybe it'll get a premiere sometime next year!

#55 levani, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  16. levani

levani New Member

Happy New Year! 2011 was special and hopefully this one will be equally eventful.

Recent games released: Discovery Bay Games released Swoop for the iPad. Evil Genius released Gem Thief, featuring some mischievous and light-hearted music. The gritty orchestral project I mentioned in my last post is coming along very well and I'm looking forward to sharing more information about it in the near future.

The portfolio has just recently been updated with a lot of new material. If you're starting the composer search, would love to hear from you. Here's to a prosperous 2012!

17. levani

levani New Member

First three months of the year, gone. Hope it has been productive for everyone. I've been at work on a couple of fun projects I'll be announcing in the summer. Meanwhile, Drowning Monkeys have released Dungeon Crawlers, it's a really cool turn-based strategy game and was well-reviewed on its debut. Quite proud of the music!

I'm going to have a fair bit of time this month so please do get in touch if you need some original music.

I'm one month away from Vel9 Studios' 5-year anniversary. It's been a great run so far, with a lot of projects coming from Indiegamer developers along the way. I'll be positing a detailed look-back in May.

#57 levani, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  18. levani

levani New Member

Hello everyone,

It's now May 2012, which is a pretty special month for me because it marks the 5 year anniversary of my video game music career. When starting out, Indiegamer was an incredible resource for me -- I was lucky to work on quite a few projects with a number of still-active members. It's now more than 100 projects later, it's been a great run and I hope to keep going and going.

A couple of recent game releases with my music are Antique Mysteries: Secrets of Howard's Mansion and Cheaslum's first game Zombie Nuke, which just came out for iOS.

#58 levani, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  19. levani

levani New Member

Can't believe I haven't posted since May! Time really flies.

Lots of great things have happened since. Here are some of the games which were recently released:

ORC: Vengeance - Chillingo/Big Cave Games (30 minute score)
    Nutty Fluffies - Ubisoft/RedLynx (theme/results music)
    iCarly Groovy Foodie - Wayforward/Nickelodeon - Nintendo DS (10 minute score)
    Cubemen (v 1.2 and later) - 3Sprockets (22 minute score)
    Hairy Tales - Forest Moon Games/Arges Systems (adaptive music + sound design)

I've put up detailed write-ups for each of these projects to my portfolio: http://vel9studios.com -- Lots of new reels and content up there as well.

Hope everyone has an awesome holiday season!
    Levan

20. levani

levani New Member

Hello -- it has been 7 months since I've updated this. Really an exciting year so far. Here are a couple of updates:

- ORC Vengeance (Big Cave Games) has been nominated for Best Handheld Audio at Game Audio Network Guild Awards 2013.
    - 7 Grand Steps (by Mousechief) has been featured at IndieCade and is now out on Steam.
    - Cubemen 2 (3 Sprockets) has been released, along with a soundtrack from both the first and second games.
    - Stick to It! by Magic Pixel Games has also hit the appstore recently.

Hope it has been a productive summer for everyone,
    Levan