Composer - Vel9 Studios

Discussion in 'Music & Sound Portfolios' started by levani, Oct 29, 2008.

1. levani

levani New Member

Hi everyone,

I've recently written music for Ubisoft's Settlers 7 Debut Trailer. It was quite a fun project and if you'd like to read about the music in more detail, I've put up the notated themes on my credits page. As mentioned in the previous update, both Comets and Craters (iPhone) and Mythoria have now been released. It's definitely been quite an exciting month, and the upcoming one should be just as good.

Hope you enjoy the trailer!

Levan

2. KlickTock

KlickTock New Member

Hey All,

Just wanted to give me 2c on Levan and the work he did for Little Things.

Levan worked hard to provide the complete soundscape for Little Things and I couldn't be happier with his work. He took my inspiration and scratch track and managed to produce tracks that fit well with the atmosphere of the game.

Thanks again Levan, hope we work together again soon!

Matt

3. levani

levani New Member

Thanks for the comment Matt!
    -
    Little Things is really a lot of fun, definitely check it out.

#23 levani, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  4. nsmadsen

nsmadsen New Member

Nice work!

Hey Levani,

It's been such a pleasure to see you and your work mature and grow into what you are today. I just spent a decent amount of time listening to your music and really enjoyed everything I heard. Fantastic job!

Take care,

Nate

5. levani

levani New Member

Thanks for the comment! I'm glad you enjoyed the music. It's definitely been a lot of fun moving forward. Reading your posts at various forums about music for games were always very helpful and encouraging.

6. Gamieon

Gamieon New Member

Levan composed music for the trailer to my upcoming indie video game "Dominoze". His work really complemented its look and feel. Levan was a pleasure to work with: He listened to my feedback, and his response time and quality exceeded my expectations every time. He even gave me multiple responses with different samples at a time to help facilitate the decision-making process!

To sum it up: Experience, professionalism, and delivery.

7. levani

levani New Member

Hi Chris, thanks for the comments! I had lots of fun working with you on the project.

#27 levani, Nov 15, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  8. levani

levani New Member

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is getting ready for some great holidays. It's really been an eventful year for me in game audio. I'm certainly looking forward to a solid 2010. I'll hopefully be working on lots of new and exciting projects and, most importantly, I will be making a permanent move from New York to LA in June.

I've just finished up a couple of iPhone projects here along with some serious licensing undertakings for premiumbeat.com. I'm always looking for something interesting to work on, if you have any games, trailers etc that need music please feel free to send an email my way!

9. chanon

Indie Author

We just finished working with Levan for music for a new iPhone game and it was a great experience. Very fast response times. Will be using his services again :)

10. levani

levani New Member

Hi Chanon, thank you for the comment!

11. levani

levani New Member

I hope that the New Year has been treating everyone well so far. It has been an exciting start here as I've just wrapped up work on a fun casual game--so far unannounced. I've also changed the look of my website significantly and added new music from recent projects to the main demo reel.

Right now would be a great time to get in touch with me as I have about two weeks before I begin my next project. Whether you need music urgently or you're just curious about what I can provide, please don't hesitate to email me with questions.

#31 levani, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  12. levani

levani New Member

Hi everyone,

Some exciting updates here:

1. Travels with Gulliver was just published on BFG!
    --the players in the forums are commenting positively on the music, that's especially satisfying.

2. Zombie Escape, one of my recent iPhone projects, was just previewed on Touch Arcade. It's quite a fun game that I think will do well in the store. There's also a great youtube video on the Touch Arcade preview.

3. I am also wrapping up work on another casual game. When, as a composer, one keeps working on new projects, there are times when you 'hit the next level'--this feels like one of them. It's one of the best feelings about being a composer, and one of the reasons I love writing music. I'll post more details about this project as it nears completion in the next month or so.

4. This is not game related, but I finished a short collection of solo piano works titled 'Silhouettes.' It's going to be performed live on May 1st along with some art songs. I am planning on uploading the scores and the mp3s in the next couple of weeks.

As always, the demo reel has been updated with new material (I'm actually slightly OCD with this particular task -- I think I update it twice a week).

#32 levani, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  13. levani

levani New Member

14. nino_rajacic

nino_rajacic New Member

Great news Levan, congrats!

Levan is great professional and pleasant person to work with. I can highly recommend him if you are in need of music for your project. But I think his credits are talking for themselves. :)

15. levani

levani New Member

Thank you for the kind words! I hope we can further work together in the near future.

16. Velociryx

Velociryx New Member

Hello,

I write strategy guides for wargames (from Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri, up to the most recent incarnation of Civ), and for the past several years, I’ve been working on a computer game called ‘The Courts of Candle’Bre.’

We've been working on the game for quite some time, and I'd always wanted a truly unique soundtrack for the game, but it was never something I thought we'd be able to afford, so I mentally put the idea on the back burner and went on about my business, but my brain wouldn’t let go of the idea, so I got curious.

I ventured to Levan's website, and gave a listen to his samples.

Looked at other games he’d worked on, and gave THAT music a listen.

I realized two things after giving all the samples a listen:

First, that he was insanely talented, and second, that I really couldn’t afford NOT to hire him. The music is that good, and it really makes the game. Truly sets the tone.

I had him do five looping pieces for me (one for each faction in the game), and this, only after we put our heads together and talked about what my needs were.

He guided me to exactly what I needed, even when I really didn’t know quite what that was, and worked with us as we went back and forth on a few rounds of tweaks and changes.

The end result that Levan delivered to us is a skillfully woven, unified SET of music that not only beautifully sets the tone of each faction of the game, but taken as a whole, helps to create a tapestry of sound that defines the game in a way that imagery alone simply cannot do.

Thanks Levan, for a spectacular job! And the team is already clamoring for that battle music I mentioned to you, so I’ll be in touch! ;)

-Chris
    -=Vel=-

17. levani

levani New Member

Just arrived in Los Angeles yesterday! I'm excited to say that I'll be operating out of this beautiful city now.

Updated the portfolio with a lot of new music from recent projects. Hope you enjoy the work and feel free to get in touch if you have any games or trailers that require original music.

18. Velociryx

Velociryx New Member

I just wanted to write in and describe my experiences with Levan.

I am the lead designer for a long-running indie game project, The Courts of Candle’Bre.

In the design of this game, I have always regarded music as an integral part of the overall experience, as the sounds will mesh with the visuals and really set the tone of the game. In my opinion, it is this tapestry…the interweaving of the sights and sounds that can turn an otherwise ordinary title into something truly special, and that’s long been our goal. Trouble was…we’re a little indie group, and I didn’t hold out any real hope that we could get a professional grade composer to do any work for us.

Then, I chanced to meet Levan.

Not only did he reveal to me that the tracks I was looking for were indeed within our price range, but when he discovered that we really didn’t know for certain WHAT we needed, he guided us to that point with a speed that comes only with a vast body of experience.

He was quick to incorporate our group’s feedback into the evolving musical scores, and at times almost seemed to intuit what I wanted, even when words failed me and I sometimes didn’t adequately express myself. Levan’s body of experience leapt to the rescue in those cases, and his familiarity with our project and skill as a composer enabled him to give us EXACTLY what we wanted.

We now have five in-game tracks (one for each of the Noble Houses you can play in the game). They are exquisite to the ear, and beautifully convey the differences in play styles that each of the groups represent.

Levan is immensely talented, and a real pleasure to work with. I cannot give a higher recommendation, and I’ll definitely be in touch for more music! =D

-=Vel=-

19. Velociryx

Velociryx New Member

Working with Levan

I just wanted to write in and describe my experiences with Levan.

I am the lead designer for a long-running indie game project, The Courts of Candle’Bre.

In the design of this game, I have always regarded music as an integral part of the overall experience, as the sounds will mesh with the visuals and really set the tone of the game. In my opinion, it is this tapestry…the interweaving of the sights and sounds that can turn an otherwise ordinary title into something truly special, and that’s long been our goal. Trouble was…we’re a little indie group, and I didn’t hold out any real hope that we could get a professional grade composer to do any work for us.

Then, I chanced to meet Levan.

Not only did he reveal to me that the tracks I was looking for were indeed within our price range, but when he discovered that we really didn’t know for certain WHAT we needed, he guided us to that point with a speed that comes only with a vast body of experience.

He was quick to incorporate our group’s feedback into the evolving musical scores, and at times almost seemed to intuit what I wanted, even when words failed me and I sometimes didn’t adequately express myself. Levan’s body of experience leapt to the rescue in those cases, and his familiarity with our project and skill as a composer enabled him to give us EXACTLY what we wanted.

We now have five in-game tracks (one for each of the Noble Houses you can play in the game). They are exquisite to the ear, and beautifully convey the differences in play styles that each of the groups represent.

Levan is immensely talented, and a real pleasure to work with. I cannot give a higher recommendation, and I’ll definitely be in touch for more music! =D

-=Vel=-

20. levani

levani New Member

I've been getting settled nicely here in LA over the last week or so -- incredible weather. Attended the E3 last week, what a great experience that was.

I'm excited to share some important changes to my demo reel. You may now view either the 'Cinematic' or the 'Casual' reel.

Launch Casual Demo Reel MP3
    Launch Cinematic Demo Reel MP3

Viqua Games also recently released a new trailer for their upcoming iPhone game, Zombie Escape, featuring my gameplay music.

#40 levani, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010