Complete Beginner Trying to Find Where to Start

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Marrowick, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Marrowick

Marrowick New Member

Hi, I am an aspiring game developer, right now I want to get into game development, but I have absolutely no prior experience game creation, or coding, or graphics, or anything. I want to know a few key points.

Where should I learn

What should I learn

What language should I use

What Engine should I use

Should I use an engine

Any helpful tips, tricks, or advice that you might have.

Thank you.

2. MountainGuardian

MountainGuardian New Member

I am quite new myself, in fact I have about 7 days experience at this point.
    One thing I would say from what I have learned over my 7 day day study career... lol... is that, the answers to those questions are quite variable dependent upon what you are interested in doing exactly.
    Are you looking at programming for PC, game platforms, phone games etc. Are you looking at 2d or 3d games.. What type and style of game do you feel a passion for. Have you done any study on what market you be interested in aiming for.
    Doing some study and answering those questions may help you to answer some of the questions you posted.

3. Marrowick

Marrowick New Member

I'm mainly looking into gaming for the PC, but I might have better learning experience from mobile games due to their characteristic simplicity.

4. 3ph0r

depends on what your end goal is.
    if you just want to make 2d games that aren't too complex then i would use something like game maker or GDevelop where you don't need much coding at all.

if on the other hand your end goal is to make complex and bigger games and / or joining a team or get a job in the industry then i would recommend finding a discipline that you find the most fun and specialize in that. for example programming, 2d/3d art, design etc.

don't get me wrong people can make pretty awesome games on their own but they would already have a skill in one or more disciplines. but trying to make a 3d shooter for example will be a lot more difficult if you don't know anything at all

5. Marrowick

Marrowick New Member

Yeah, my end goal is to do 3D games, probably as part of a team, and I'll probably specialize in coding, I got some advice from a friend to try Code Acadamy's Python course to start off, then go from there. What are your thoughts on that?

6. 3ph0r

yeah python is pretty cool. i would only use it on personal projects/prototypes though and only use it to learn the very basics of programming. after you understand it, its better to learn c#, java or even better C++ if you can. will open up a lot of doors for you if you know 1-2 of those languages.

7. Marrowick

Marrowick New Member

Alrighty.

8. Seeru Somnii

Seeru Somnii New Member

Hi, I'm green on this just like you.
    And I wanting to create some game for quite a while, but only now I'm starting to know the "game dev world", so for you a starter just like me I will give some tips that are helping me:
    • Study some programming language (just like @MountainGuardian sugested).
    • Download the Unity (this is the game engine that I'm starting). Lots and lots of tutorials...
    • This I learn from a veteran, so listen well: Start small. Make little and simple games, let the big projects for later.
    Well this is all. I wish good luck for us all. ;)

9. Jim Save

Jim Save New Member

Like you I am new to this whole indie game thing. I am starting a little more ambitious then most, my buddy and I have started a production company and working on our first game. I've already invested $1,500 in to a new PC and programs to do our project. We have no experience in coding, design, or anything like that. However through much research, you will find a lot of resources out there dedicated to people like us. Below I have attached links to some sites that have helped me out immensely in my quest to making a video game. All are free and have a lot of support you can find all over the web. Hope this helps!

Jim Save,

Smith & Tower Productions

http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/maya

This is a must watch for maya!

https://unity3d.com/

https://unity3d.com/unity/engine-features

With unity you can do 2D as well

http://kotaku.com/5979539/a-beginners-guide-to-making-your-first-video-game

http://www.learncpp.com/

Best C++ guide out there!

http://opengameart.org/

http://www.freesound.org/

Both are great free sources!

10. Pat Gamble

Pat Gamble New Member

Hello, I've also started my own game company, Tinman Studios, LLC, and we've grown to about 16 crew members. The company's been going for around 8 or 9 months, and we've actually just had our first entry into a contest for the moddb's #makeitsuperhot contest, from which we learned a ton about our team and the workflow of all the different departments.

So I'm still fairly new myself, but considering that I'm the C.E.O. I get a nice overview of each different department, so I thought I'd add my own 2 cents in here.

Where should I learn & What language should I use:
    The internet of course, lol. I'd like to bump this up with the question of what language. You'll need to decide if you're going to use a particular engine first. I'm most familiar with two, Unity, which uses c#, and Unreal, which really doesn't require a language per say, but it does require you to understand programming logic.

With that said, it may be much quicker to do some courses on programming logic and jump into the unreal engine (UE4). This engine was built for that purpose.

Of course, having a strong hold on a pure language will always give you more options in the future. Having a deep knowledge of c# for example, brings you everywhere, not just pigeon holing you into the game industry. So if needed, those skills could be used elsewhere.

What Engine should I use:
    I talked about the two I know, but of course, there are more out there. Unity is definitely the way to go for 2D games, and I'm sticking with UE4 for the 3D games atm. I hear CryEngine is a nice engine as well, but I've not messed with it.

Should I use an engine:
    Yes. Some people have already sunk many years into these engines to bring them up to par, and are constantly updating them. If you want to build your own engine, I'd save that for the future.

Any helpful tips, tricks, or advice that you might have.
    Stay confident. Don't jump into a project at the beginning that's too large in scope. Be willing to start by making a pong or brick breaking game. If you can get on a team that has programmers willing to teach you or answers questions, that'd be amazing.

Listen to the advice given by those that have been in it longer. Some people don't know how to properly give advice, and make it sound like you should give up, but there'll be a grain of something you can take from what they are saying, even if they seem spiteful. This is the hard part, btw. :)

I wish you much success!