Commercial opportunity - *READ*

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by evilmrsock, Sep 26, 2004.

1. evilmrsock

Original Member

On Thursday, September 30th, I will be meeting with a regional manager of Game Crazy to discuss the opening of a pilot program to sell independantly developed PC games at Game Crazy stores. If the meeting goes well, a pilot program will open up in Albany, NY.

If anyone here is interested having their game be part of that pilot program, and meet the following requirements:

1) You have a COMPLETE DEMO of the game

2) Your game WILL be finished before the end of November (no excuses)

3) You are willing to accept whatever terms Game Crazy might provide if this
    program is opened

4) You can get me your demo and an information package with any text or images you feel are necessary to explaining your game by MIDNIGHT on TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 28th

then please email said package ASAP.
    Currently, I am looking for 2 games - I will choose the 2 games that I feel have the most commercial promise in their current form out of any sent to me, with no explanation - I am not usually an asshole, but I was not expecting this meeting to occur so soon, so time IS of the essence.

Thank you for your cooperation, and best of luck to all of us - this would be a great leap forward for what we do if it comes to fruition.

2. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I don't know how far can you go with requisites such as this one...

3. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Wow what an incredible opportunity! :D

I agree completely with Gabriel, I wonder how such request can still be made nowadays... :confused:

4. Bluecat

Original Member

Can you please clarify who you are? You have not provided any information on your identity, your company, or your affiliations.

You say *you* are choosing the games. I would have thought that Game Crazy would be doing that.

5. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Wow, blast from the past - I'm from Albany, NY. :) Where is Game Crazy there?

6. JoeMaru

Indie Author

I have a completed game that is selling well and I would be inclined to respond, except that this:

is probably the most ridiculous requirement I have ever heard of. I wish you luck.. but I suggest to you that you may be eliminating 95% of the people here (and probably ALL of the people who have something you would actually want to see) by having this requisite in your request.

7. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Yes indeed. That's just not possible.

Good work, but you'll need to convey to Game Crazy that developers will only be interested if the terms are reasonable... and NO-ONE will sign on before they even know what the terms ARE.

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes... unless the developers are Crazy too :D

Honestly I think it was a joke, I can't believe a serious company could even make such an offer... I wouldn't ever consider it in future after such statement!!

9. Andy

Original Member

I don't know anything about Game Crazy (pardon... :D ) but that points obviously were issued by evilmrsock. That's why I'd not make any quick points about the company Jack.
    By his next post elimrsock probably will correct that requirements to make a view that he step up with really serious proposal here. But... ;)

Anyway, it would be fun to take a look.

10. fusionlab

Original Member

11. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Nice site, but I didn't found a single Pc game there... :confused:
    I took just a quick look though.

12. samnova

Original Member

I know this has been mentioned before as been FAR out.. But how about terms like:
    1. Game Crazy will publish you game, and you agree never to developer another game.
    2. Game Crazy will publish you game and you have to stop breathing.
    3. Game Crazy will publish you game and will own the soul (unless you already signed it off to that other dude there.....)

Guess I could go on with silly terms. I'm sure it is not this kind of terms. But anyone agreeing to such things should get a mental checkup.. Oh, any anyone asking for people to accept such things should also get a checkup.

-Sam

13. JoeMaru

Indie Author

I know samnova was being silly... but terms like:

Game Crazy retains rights of first refusal to publish on all future versions of game

is something I would probably expect to be one of the terms that sneaks into the deal. I have actually seen this in quite a few contracts. It is not exactly 'we own your soul'.. but it is pretty damn close.

14. Gilzu

Moderator Original Member

<mod>
    this is a pure news announcement & feedback link, NOT a business debate.
    moved to the right forum
    </mod>

15. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Something like this is typical in a contract where a publisher is involved, and they are funding your game.. it's usually a fair contract term. However, if it's pure distribution-only, it's outrageous.

16. Sunshine

Original Member

PS - I ,also, have almost unlimited openings for anyone that will agree to these terms :p

17. Bluecat

Original Member

It's been a few days now and evilmrsock hasn't responded to any of these concerns. Leads me to think this is probably bogus.