Coming Up With Game Ideas

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Shock1129, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Shock1129

Shock1129 New Member

I Want To Make A 2D Game With GameMaker Studio
    There Is Really No Time Limit On The Amount Of Time That Could Be Put In It. At Max Maybe Till Mid 2018.
    I Have The Knowledge And The Time But I Don't Have The Ideas. I Really Cannot Come Up With Original Or Interesting Ideas And I Lose Interest Really Fast If Its Boring. How Do I Come Up With Game Ideas That Are New And Original.

Skills
    GameMaker Studio (GML And Drag & Drop)
    Unreal Engine 4 (New To UE 4)
    Blender (Only A Little)
    Unity (Not Using Anymore)
    Java (Only A Little)

2. Scoper

Indie Author

Usually, most people have the opposite problem - lots of ideas and no skills.
    I see two simple solutions to your problem. You could team up with someone else who has useful skills different from yours and a great idea that you like. There are regularly people on this forum looking for people just like you to help out on their project. Actually, almost everyone with an indie project, myself included (though I am not using GameMaker), would love to receive an offer for help.
    Another possibility could be to use some simple system for creating random ideas to use for inspiration. For example, pick two random words from a dictionary and consider how you might build a game revolving around those two concepts. I actually once wrote a script to create random game ideas - its output is usually a really stupid idea, but it can be good for inspiration. I used it for a game jam once, it suggested a side-scrolling fighting game with ninja zombies. We went along with the idea and had a lot of fun with it.

You can find it here: http://www.henriklsp.com/endlessgameideas.php