Coming Up With Game Ideas

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Shock1129, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Shock1129

Shock1129 New Member

I Want To Make A 2D Game With GameMaker Studio
    There Is Really No Time Limit On The Amount Of Time That Could Be Put In It. At Max Maybe Till Mid 2018.
    I Have The Knowledge And The Time But I Don't Have The Ideas. I Really Cannot Come Up With Original Or Interesting Ideas And I Lose Interest Really Fast If Its Boring. How Do I Come Up With Game Ideas That Are New And Original.

Skills
    GameMaker Studio (GML And Drag & Drop)
    Unreal Engine 4 (New To UE 4)
    Blender (Only A Little)
    Unity (Not Using Anymore)
    Java (Only A Little)

2. Scoper

Indie Author

Usually, most people have the opposite problem - lots of ideas and no skills.
    I see two simple solutions to your problem. You could team up with someone else who has useful skills different from yours and a great idea that you like. There are regularly people on this forum looking for people just like you to help out on their project. Actually, almost everyone with an indie project, myself included (though I am not using GameMaker), would love to receive an offer for help.
    Another possibility could be to use some simple system for creating random ideas to use for inspiration. For example, pick two random words from a dictionary and consider how you might build a game revolving around those two concepts. I actually once wrote a script to create random game ideas - its output is usually a really stupid idea, but it can be good for inspiration. I used it for a game jam once, it suggested a side-scrolling fighting game with ninja zombies. We went along with the idea and had a lot of fun with it.

You can find it here: http://www.henriklsp.com/endlessgameideas.php

3. Game Dev

Game Dev New Member

well, i have the same problem "lots of skill and very good at them" but no ideas . but i know something that you don't get a idea out of nowhere . first your implement your skills into old ideas and remake them and practice and a time will come when you will have a damn good idea and you will be able to complete it with your skills.

4. onpon4

onpon4 New Member

If this is your problem, I suggest joining an existing libre (open source) project. They can always use contributors. There's a good database of those on the Libre Game Wiki:

https://libregamewiki.org

This will also teach you some new skills. You currently appear to be limited to a small set of proprietary tools.

5. mbubzr1

mbubzr1 New Member

some of the things i do to come up with good ideas for story is find inspiration from outside sources. i was never really known to be super creative but 2 years ago i decided to try and start my own game dev company. im not quite there yet because of college and financial limitations but i now have 2 great original story ideas that i have been working on for a while. 1 of those ideas is based off a dream i had. that could be one potential source. i also find inspiration from some of the ambient music soundtracks of my favorite games, movies, or shows along with some of the scenes and moments which help inspire the tone you are looking for

6. zizulot

zizulot New Member

Yesterday I was watching movie The Crow(1994) , what struck to me - Assasins Creed used so many feutures from that movie I was literally shocked, Like bird View, Parkour stuff, even when he jumped from the roof in motion that Assasins creed uses, my advice , watch so old movies you like, you should build idea about your game if you think about interesting parts of it.