Code that creates new code everytime it is run

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Davaris, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Davaris

Original Member

For the past few days I have been writing code that generates other code and so I was wondering, if they have tried this AI, what is it called, or what is its closest equivalent?

I am thinking in terms of a program that can change any part of itself and be recompiled each generation and even the part that determines what is a good result, can be changed.

#1 Davaris, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  2. HairyTroll

Original Member

3. Michael Flad

Indie Author

It's called self modifying code.

4. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Yep, self modifying code; did quite a bit of that, back in the olden days. Really just to get things running faster on slower CPUs.

Seems to be a different application than what you have in mind though, which sounds to me, something like evolution. Making little random tiny changes, and seeing how each adaptation performs, if good, keep it, rinse and repeat.

5. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I can out hax0r that. On an old arcade board I used to program, we were decompressing code right in front of where the current PC is (well, was) in an interupt on the fly.

Verterans like us usually look back on those days with some amount of positive nostalgia. Me, I'm glad they're gone and good riddance. :)

6. Davaris

Original Member

Thanks everyone.

7. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

When programming the Apple II in double hi-res I had an unrolled loop of code that would put a byte into each scanline indexed into the sprite and screen with the x & y registers. I would modify my code to jump to where a sprite would begin on the screen, write in an RTS where the loop needed to end and with that I don't think it was possible to write a faster blitter on that 1 Mhz machine.

Paul, I'm still nostalgic for those days but I will grant that it's pretty magical to be able to play a game while in my rocking chair, in my living room in the browser when that game is streaming off my website.