Chrome Web Store Query

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by ryansumo, Feb 28, 2012.

1. ryansumo

ryansumo New Member

My friend and I are dipping our toes into html5 game development and looking to release on multiple platforms. One of those platforms is the Chrome Web store. Digging through their FAQ I found this nugget of info:

Currently, you need a US bank account, plus an address in the US and a US taxpayer ID. Basically you need a real business presence inside the US in order to use Chrome Web Store Payments.

So this is an issue of us because we live in the Philippines. I think I may have a workaround because I have a sister that lives in the US who could theoretically provide her address, bank account etc. as required by Google, but my friend is of the opinion that we'd still require some sort of business registration in the US to account for a "real business presence".

So who's right? And are there pros and cons to my workaround of going through my sister in order to put our app up on the store?

Many thanks for anyone who can help us out!

2. CasualInsider

CasualInsider New Member

Make your app "free" and then host it on your own site. Charge money using any payment provider for anything you want there.

3. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Not sure about that. We have Great Little War Game on there and are British in every respect. They pay directly into our bank account without any fuss.

Just mail em and ask em.

4. richtaur

Indie Author

We launched Onslaught! Arena when the Chrome Web Store launched and never saw good sales. You can see our first week of sales here.

Not trying to disuade you from publishing on the CWS, just wanted to reiterate that you should just make it free there, and use it to upsell to another platform/game.

Good luck!

5. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Yeah, ours were apalling too tbh. One of our bigger disappointments.

6. Nexic

Indie Author

Yeh we basically did that and it worked nicely.

7. ryansumo

ryansumo New Member

Thanks for the input guys!

richtaur: Hey I saw that post actually, and it did make me think. I also played the pokki version of your game and I quite liked it. It reminded me very much of the first scene in a gameboy game, Final Fantasy Legend I think? Wondering if that was any inspiration at all.

People keep saying (I posted in Tigsource too) that I should mail them, but I'm gonna admit to being a moron and not being able to find the proper email to write to. Little help?