Christmas sales

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by tentons, Oct 13, 2005.

1. tentons

Indie Author

Something in the "Atlantis is unstoppable" :) thread made me wonder...

How does the Christmas season affect your sales? Do indie games get passed over more because people are buying retail games, or do people increase purchases on indie games?

Anyone care to comment?

2. Nexic

Indie Author

For my direct sales it seems Jan and Feb are by far the best, with Mid Summer being incredibly poor. Xmas seems almost as good as Jan.

3. ninjasamurai

Original Member

4. Sharpfish

Original Member

to clarify, I think tentons may be talking about the quip I made in that thread that I would consider "delaying" a release if it was finished just in time for the xmas retail rush. And I know this was discussed recently in another thread, and I also subscribe to the belief that you should release it as soon as it is properly ready. Nexic MAY be refering to his peak year sales rather than strictly a release time, he already has exposure for his games and what have you.

If you are releasing a game, especially your first, do you not think that the chance of being on the front page of "gamesnewssite.com" for a week is higher in January than it is in November and December, therefore increasing advertising/exposure and crucially the DOWNLOADS. You only get to release once, though updated demo press releases obviously help of course.

Also bear in mind this is intended for direct sales and not so much strict casual/portal oriented games in which case any time is good to go (as it takes so long to sort everything out and get the news out there)