Caves of Qud is coming to Steam, GOG, and itch.io!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by CurryTime, Jul 12, 2018.

1. CurryTime

CurryTime New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hey Everyone!

My name is Nile, and I’m a community manager for Caves of Qud by Freehold Games. I’ve immersed myself in just about every kind of video game I could get my hands on, from fighting games to RPGs. I’ve seen my fair share of roguelikes throughout the years, but none of them have quite grasped my attention like Caves of Qud.

Caves of Qud drops you straight into a post-apocalyptic fantasy world where the stakes are high and the ceiling for creativity (and straight-up weirdness) is even higher. Want to mutate your hands into claws and then burrow through a mountain? You can do that.

Want to delve into the secrets of Qud’s dusty past by chatting up the town mayor, who also happens to be an albino gorilla? You can do that, too.

Want to clone yourself, mind-control the clone, and then hack off your own limbs? Yes, shockingly enough, that’s entirely possible in the world of Qud.

[​IMG]

Like its bizarre, chimeric denizens, Caves of Qud is a constantly evolving passion project that’s been updated since 2007 and nurtured by the team at Freehold Games. Its development is also spurred on by players like you! We’re constantly reading the stories you and your characters carve out in the annals of Qud’s history and using them to make improvements to the game, such as the Journal module that allows you to read the fragments of Qud’s history you discover and piece together their mysteries.

Come inhabit an exotic world and chisel through a layer cake of thousand-year-old civilizations. Decide for yourself: Is Qud a dying planet, or one on the verge of rebirth? Check it out on Itch.io, GOG, and Steam Early Access.

Itch.io

GOG.com

Steam

Looking forward to chatting with everyone and seeing what kind of adventures you find (or find you) in Caves of Qud!

Nile with Freehold Games
    http://www.cavesofqud.com
    https://twitter.com/cavesofqud

#1 CurryTime, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  2. CurryTime

CurryTime New Member

Nile with Freehold Games here with a little backstory to prepare you for Caves of Qud. Create your character and play the role of a mutant indigenous to the salt-spangled dunes and jungles of Qud – or play a pure-strain descendant from one of the few remaining eco-domes. Each character type has special attributes, so choose wisely!

New players start the game in the oasis-hamlet of Joppa along the far rim of the Great Salt Desert. All around you, moisture farmers tend to groves of viridian watervine. There are huts wrought from rock salt and brinestalk. On the horizon, Qud's jungles strangle chrome steeples and rusted archways to the earth. Further and beyond, the fabled Spindle rises above the fray and pierces the cloud-ribboned sky.

Once you get the hang of Joppa, try one of the new alternate starts, where you begin the game in a completely procedurally-generated village. Each village has its own generated faction, history, architecture, relationship with local resources, storytelling tradition, proverb, signature dish, signature skill, NPCs, and quests!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You clutch your rifle – or your vibroblade, or your tattered scroll, or your poisonous stinger, or your hypnotized goat; whatever you have fashioned for your quest! – and choose a direction...

Check out the maps above and tell us your first move. Already playing Caves of Qud and have a special starting strategy? Share it below. We’d love to hear it!

Nile with Freehold Games

#2 CurryTime, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  3. CurryTime

CurryTime New Member

Nile with Freehold Games back with some interesting facts about Caves of Qud that really set it apart from other roguelikes:

• It has an original science fantasy setting and some of the best prose writing in all of video games. Just ask Kotaku, Polygon, and Paste Magazine.
    • Its super deep character creation options and simulated systems give rise to emergent gameplay with nearly limitless possibilities. Make a character with two heads and wings, dig a tunnel to anywhere in the world, contract a fungal infection ... or start growing mushrooms out of your hands. It’s a crazy world out there!
    • Caves of Qud has delightful, rich, absurdly funny generated histories and social networks – with more than 60 factions and unique procedurally-generated histories each game, sentient creatures from animals to tables, and complex social dynamics you’ll need to traverse in order to uncover the world’s secrets. And yes – Caves of Qud has quite a lot of secrets to share!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Still not convinced Caves of Qud is unlike any other roguelike? Then take a look at these great Let’s Play streams from some prominent YouTube channels to see what you are missing!
    Check out Caves of Qud on Steam and tell us: What’s the craziest thing you’ve encountered in the game?

Trailer:

Steam

itch.io

GOG

Nile with Freehold Games