Cataclysm: 1v1 arena battle platformer

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by MoonJellyGames, Aug 7, 2019.

1. MoonJellyGames

MoonJellyGames New Member

Hey all,

As you can see, I'm quite new here, but I've been enjoying trying out some of your games.

My game, Cataclysm, has been out on itch.io for a little over a year, and while I was happy with the game at that time, the recent updates have made it much, much better in my opinion. It's a good thing I wasn't counting on making money from it because without giving it much though, I inadvertently narrowed my potential audience to a pinhead-sized island:
    • It is currently only available for Windows
    • I want to support any game controller, but this has proven to be way more complicated than it has any right to be. Consequently, I have decided to release two builds: One that works natively with Dualshock 4 controllers (which is how I play), and one that should work with Xbox 360 controllers.
    • It's 1v1 versus multiplayer only. Solo just wouldn't make sense.
    If that doesn't disqualify you from playing, I would absolutely love to get some outside feedback. Like I said, I feed really good about the game; I play it quite often with my girlfriend, but maybe there's something I could do to make it even better. Or hey-- I'd be happy to hear positive feedback too. ;)

Oh, and if you don't have a second controller, you can press the spacebar when prompted to ready the second player. That way, you can still run around and try out the wall-clinging, and the various power-ups.

As you can see from the videos, Cataclysm is a similar kind of game as Duck Game, Towerfall, and Samurai Gunn, to name a few.

Trailer:

And a full match of me playing against my girlfriend:

What I'd like to know:

- Did you run into any problems getting the game running? If so, what?
    - Same question, but regarding game controllers. Which controller type did you use?
    - Did you play with somebody or just by yourself?
    - (If the buttons seemed to be working correctly) how did the controls feel?
    - Comments on particular stages and power-ups
    - Did you read any of the tutorial stuff? If so, did you find it funny? Too verbose? Unnecessary? Useful?
    - Have you played (and enjoyed) the other games I mentioned as being similar to Cataclysm?
    - Did you have fun?
    - Any other thoughts

Known issue: When choosing a level from the menu, the game appears to freeze for a few seconds. I should have a loading screen, but it's the only time the game hangs like that.

Thank you for stopping by here, and I really hope that some people get a chance to play this game as it was intended. Even a short comment on what you thought of the game would be greatly appreciated.

Game link: https://moonjellygames.itch.io/cataclysm

- Rob

2. MoonJellyGames

Don't spam my (or anyone else's) thread on here.

3. Cat Lamp

Cat Lamp New Member

Hello MoonJellyGames,

Can I play the game with a keyboard only?

4. MoonJellyGames

Unfortunately keyboard play is not possible as the game controls like a twin-stick shooter in a way. Each player requires two analog sticks.

This has been a hard lesson for me with this game. I love it the way it is, but going forward, I will be making my games playable with keyboard and/or mouse unless I decide to develop for console.

5. Cat Lamp

Cat Lamp New Member

I'm sorry I'm not able to play your game until I get a controller :(

6. MoonJellyGames

Ah, that's a shame. But like I said-- it's my fault for making a game with so many hurdles to play. x__x

#6 MoonJellyGames, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019