Casual RPG Alpha - Cute Knight

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by papillon, Jun 10, 2005.

1. papillon

Indie Author

Attached Files:

#1 papillon, Jun 10, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  2. stan

Original Member Indie Author

Nice, I like the graphics and this kind of games too!

The tips appear at adequate time, though I think I got twice the one about removing objects to use the forge or whatever (I didn't really read the second tip in fact... I probably thought "eh, I already got the tip when clicking on "Outfit", why is it shown again?", and clicked before reading. Anyway I have no clue what's this forge about so maybe that tip could be kept for later in the game?)

The thing that could be annoying is that some messages appear and disappear quickly and sometimes I can't read them (for example at the end of a class in the college.) Other times, I have to click on a button when that doesn't seem necessary, and that could become annoying... Though in the limited time of the demo, that wasn't a problem. I found I had barely the time to read the messages of the intro, too.

Some things are not obvious, but part (most?) of the fun in these games is to find what increases or decreases which skill... So that seems ok to me :).

3. whisperstorm

Original Member

I like this game - its nice to have something that seems to cross genre's a bit. I know this might sound cliche, but it'd be interesting if the character had a pet or something -- perhaps as a way to offer advice.

The cut-scenes at the beginning should not go on their own -- you should have some mouseclick indicator for each panel of text - for slower reading folks.

Will the character encounter people in the town who may give her quests?

Would be fun to have characters with different hair/eyes each time you play -- to give some randomness to the characters.

The tooltips over the items in the town seem out of place somehow - seems like it might be better to simply highlight the building and display the text.

--

Fun game! It seems innovative enough to attract jaded rpg'ers while I'd feel ok with letting my 8yr old daughter play it.

4. John Rush

Original Member

I just played this with my nine year old daughter and we both enjoyed what we saw. The prompt forcing us to quit came too soon, though. We just figured out what we were doing and got ourselves equipped. We'll try again now that we know better.

I agree that the initial text goes by too quickly. I am a fairly quick reader and I had trouble keeping up. My daughter had no chance at all.

We are both looking forward to seeing where this goes.

5. Hiro_Antagonist

Original Member

I think you've got a really neat concept here. Several of your mechanics are really unique, and the gameplay itself seems like it would be able to appeal to females as well as males, potentially increasing your market size.

I could add reams of constructive criticism, (and will if you'd like me to), but for now I'd rather focus on the fact that, in my humble opinion, this is a really interesting and promising start!

-Hiro_Antagonist

6. papillon

Indie Author

'Swhy I'm here, isn't it? :)

I know all sorts of thing that *I* want to add or change. Need other eyes to point out things that I might be missing.

7. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

This is pretty good. I like the simplicity of interface. It's probably still a little on the complex side as a simple rpg's go. (There's lots of skills and so on.)

My main complaint I guess is it's a little too girly. That's not bad I suppose if you're targeting a younger female audience, however I have to wonder why you don't make the game a little more androgynous. Let the player pick a male or female character at the start.

Overall though I think it has a lot of promise.

8. whisperstorm

Original Member

Did a playtest with my daughter -- here's the play by play:

Started up the game, she immediately knew how to get things going.
    Was really interested in the girl - but got frustrated about the text scrolling without waiting for her. She was 'used' to having that control in a game. And also asked if there was a way to "skip" the dialog.

She got to the main screen and got highly confused. She expected something to happen inthe upper left hand screen - but there was nothing there (might want to add a "click on the town in the bottom right" or something there to start). So she went through the inventory stuff and since there was nothing there got a little frustrated.

I showed her the town and how to get a job. She really liked the animations for the sweeping, etc.

Once she realized about how to get money to buy items she got animated and tried to work alot to buy some big things. Then I tried to show her the little map again and since it's so far off to the bottom right she didnt know it was the main navigation. I told her about the dungeons and we went down and looked around.

Here's something interesting - she got really confused about how you move around in the dungeon. She thought "up" would move her up on the map - regardless of what direction she was pointing in. (meaning to her, "up" meant turn in whatever direction is north and then go 1 spot).

At this point she got frustrated and wanted to quit, but she kept asking about the girl later - like how it'd be nice if the girl could have/buy a room of her own and put things in it -- furniture, decorations, etc. And I thought, that'd be a nice addition to the game -- a place to put your stuff when you are over full --- perhaps win awards, or be able to buy decorations, furniture, etc.

Anyway -- if there was a "novice" mode that sorta pointed the way a bit more, I'm sure younger folks might really get into this.

9. techbear

Original Member

I hope I'm not spoiling anything, but it looks like your insipration for this game is the Japanese Princess Maker series. Hugely popular over there, with MANY sequels and such.

If so, I applaud you. I'd have done such a thing myself if it wasn't so darn art-intensive. :)

10. papillon

Indie Author

Yes, I'm a big PM fan. (If only I could read the language to get the new one when it comes out!)

11. AtmaVegeta

Original Member

Just played the game. I really liked it (Remined me of Eye of the Beholder...in a more girly fashion).

Only major complaint I had was, when you went to do "Training" at College, it covered up your Stats (such as Gold), which I always want to be able to see. It didn't it at a few other places, but not near as bad. A suggestion would be to move the menus to the Left (plenty of free space) or something. (Just and Idea).

Keep it up. :)

12. Night Elf

Original Member

Hi! I just tried your game.

I agree with it being too girly, but I assume that's what you intended. (It's not just that the character is a girl, of course. That, I wouldn't mind.)

I didn't like the graphics. They look amateur. One exception is the picture of the girl when in the Outfit screen, that one's quite good.

The interface lacks a lot of graphics. Button's are OK, but they're too plain. Some graphics will enhance the GUI a lot.

I also agree with the remarks about the layout of the interface. Since the map is not available when you're at some place, I don't see a reason for it being so small and on the corner. I would make it as big as possible and put it in the middle of the screen. Then it would get covered by the options of the location you're at, which is just fine.

I couldn't read the story at the beginning as the text disappeared too quickly, so I don't if it's explained there, but don't know why I'm doing what I'm doing in the game... Also, there are too many options when you just started. I think a more guided gameplay at frist would be better. A sort of tutorial.

And a question I kept asking myself - why do all tasks take a week? Everything takes a week! And why can't you do several things during the same week? One week you study, the next you work at the inn, the next you pickpocket at the square... And what's even more confusing, if you go to school you loose a week even if you don't have enough money to pay for all the days...

I like the concept of the game, but I agree with you that it still needs a lot of work.

#12 Night Elf, Jun 13, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  13. papillon

Indie Author

Since this has come up a couple of times, does anyone actually notice the pictures that are being displayed in the main portion of the screen when in the village? Or are they wasted effort?

14. John Rush

Original Member

Well, I like the picture in the main area. Although, I thought it was supposed to be a kind of thing that we are not really suposed to _notice_ -- it just adds a more refined look to the interface.

It's the town map that I didn't see at first. So, while the picture is nice, the map is far more important. So I would sacrafice it, if needs be, to make the map more visible.