Casual Game development using flash

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by f7_codename, Sep 20, 2010.

1. f7_codename

f7_codename New Member

Hi,
    I have a good experience in developing flash mini games. I am planning to start development of a downloadable PC casual game and sell it through portals like BigFish.com and others.

My question is , is it possible to develop a game with quality similar to that of other available PC casual games in flash.

What i am planning is , develop complete game in flash but distribute full game as exe format. Demo version (first few rounds ) will be available for PC as well as online. Also game will be hosted on facebook to attract more and more players.

Please tell what are the major challenges in terms of implementation in what i am planning i.e. is build a complete PC casual game in flash.

2. Jack Norton

Indie Author

By "PC casual game" you mean:
    Hidden Object Games
    Classic Time Management like Diner Dash
    Match 3
    Word Games
    Strategy / Simulation like Build A Lot

and I'm sure I missed some genres since I'm not a casual games expert.
    The point I'm making is that your question is as generic as saying "Can I code a game using a computer?"

3. Wrote A Game or Two

Wrote A Game or Two New Member

Well to answer the gist of the question, yes it is possible. MCF: Dire Grove was done in Flash (there was a blurb about it in BFG's blog a while back where the team described transitioning from Director to Flash for that title), as are a few other downloadable casual games. I've played with Flash a little and found that it can make EXE files and such so again, totally possible.

It's also possible to use VB.net to write a game, or C++, or Multimedia Fusion, or Torque2D, or Shiva, or Unity or...

My point is it's not the compiler that makes the game great. It's the game itself. What you choose to write it with is mostly a matter of personal preference.

4. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

And strategy. Personal preference is fine if being indie is just a hobby for you. But I think if you want to do indie as a business, there are other considerations. Some choices you make will open doors for you, others will close them. For example, if you write your game code using DirectX or other Microsoft-only technology, you shut yourself off from Mac or Linux, and thereby miss out on potential sales from gamers on those platforms. To move to those platforms later, you'll either have to rewrite your game or pay someone else to do it. But if you write your game using cross-platform technologies, then it will be a lot easier to take your game into new markets in the future. On the other hand, writing your game using Microsoft-only technologies opens up the possibility of porting the game to the XBox. So you need to think about what markets are best suited for your game and strategize accordingly.

5. f7_codename

f7_codename New Member

Thanks all for the replies

@Jack ... that are the kind of games i am planning to make now , more specifically adventure game

@Wrote A Game or Two.... thanks a lot for the to the point answer , i totally agree it is not the technology but the game , but what my concern is , it should not happen in between the game development that i realize i got stuck to the wrong platform

@GolfHacker ... many thanks for the advice , will surely keep that in mind ....

6. Jack Norton

Indie Author

No flash is absolutely fine to do those kind of games. Actually is fine to do most 2d games (even not casual ones). Good luck! :)

7. f7_codename

f7_codename New Member

thanks .... will keep you all posted about the progress :) ....