Career advice needed

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Raikenleo, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Raikenleo

Raikenleo New Member

I am 20 year old Pakistani guy who wants to be a game designer but I am very confused on the approach I should take.

The major reason behind my confusion is the fact that game designing is a field that is not there in the country I am currently living in nor is it in my home country. If I want to make a career via a company then it would be a hassle just to insure that I am living a western country (which I would sooooooo love to do)

WHICH BRINGS TO ME TO THE FINAL PART OF THE DILEMMA!

Should I go to a university, get a bachelors degree and find a job in a company (Expensive and not 100% sure if I can get a job in western countries due to my nationality and their immigration strictness)

OR

Should I study the short courses in Gnonom and then try to find a job (Cheap but the chances of me getting a job are lower then me getting a bachelor)

OR

Should I get a bachelors degree and then be an indie game developer by using the contacts and friends I make during my time in university. (Expensive but allows me to make a team more easily and also gives me the option for trying to apply to a company for a job)

OR
    Should I study the short courses on Gnonom and give my 100% to developing a good strong game. (Cheap, extremely risky but will allow me to save the amount of time and money I would spend on university. It also saves me from any hassle and complications that I would face having to live abroad alone.)

Note: my family is willing to financially support me in either routes and I am willing to give my all in either route but I am afraid to use too much of money on the university route as I wish to avoid being too much of burden on my father. Your advice and help is much appretiated.

2. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

1. What are your options in terms of Universities? Do you have good programs in your country or do you plan to study abroad? I think it's better that you get your hands dirty and work on something BEFORE you decide if you want to go to university. Learn some basics by yourself and online, try to build a simple game. You will have many of your questions answered for you naturally.

2. Find out what it means to be a "Game Designer", because it can mean many things depending in which company you work. Go on Gamasutra.com, read about the field, from other people's experiences. Because it's very very hard. I worked as a game designer for a company a few years ago and I didn't like it. Way too much overtime. And being an indie means a lot of personal stress.

3. You can also try other specializations like 2D art, 3D art, programming, and focus on something more employable.

Good luck.

3. Raikenleo

Raikenleo New Member

I already have some experience in working in things related to game designing. My specialization is 3d art. I was planning on going to Uppsala university or Noroff. One of them is in sweden and the other is in norway. They have more affordable tuition fees so they caught my attention. To be honest I just want to make a game. If the things that I have designed in my head are being born I dont mind the overtime at all. I would love it. I am semi-workaholic towards game designing and 3d artwork. I have literally worked around 8-6 hours on a project after giving one of my highschool exams because my brother needed help with it.

4. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

Go and make games then. But be aware that overtime is not so fun. Working for a boss and having the pressure of releasing a good game is heavy to bear.

Good luck.