CardWars TBS

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by General, Jul 28, 2010.

1. General

General New Member

Update:
    Hello again! Cards Wars is completely re-build and released as a free flash game. I'd be happy if you share your thought in this thread.

Cards Wars is a turn-based strategy, it's a fusion of Risk board game and card game War.

[​IMG]

Every province is garrisoned with 1 - 7 playing cards. If you attack the neighbour, the battle goes on until one of the sides looses 50% of its garrison. The defeated army retreats. The player earns experience points for victorious battles, he can spend them to activate the powerups.

Controls:
    Drag-and-drop - attack or move;
    Click - open the Arrangement window;
    End Turn button is in the top-left screen corner;
    Settings button is in the tor-rigfht screen corner.

You can play the game here: http://www.kongregate.com/games/GeneralVimes/cards-wars

There is a Hotseat multiplayer.
    --------------------------------Original message------------------------------------
    Hi! I'd like to show here my turn-based strategy. It was inspired by DiceWars and card game which I played long ago. Map is divided into provinces, the garrison of each consists of 1-7 cards. Attack enemies, and conquer the world!

[​IMG]

Download CardWars v.0.5.2.22 (1,8 Mb)

Players: 2 - 9.
    Multiplayer: hotseat.

System requirements: 256 Mb, 500 MHz, OS Windows, 800x600

Gameplay video

Controls
    Left click - select a province.
    Right click on the adjacent province - attack it or move garrison there
    Double click - cards arrangement mode
    Right click - clear selection
    Button in the top left corner - next turn
    Wheel click - hide/show garrisons

Detailed rules and scenarios descriptions

I'd like to know your opinions on:
    Playability and re-playability of the game
    Strongess/weakness of AI
    Interesting/boring scenarios
    And other issues you want to tell me about

#1 General, Jul 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  2. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

Bump (Topic just got approved)

3. General

General New Member

Thank you! :)
    I was worrying tht my thread was rejected because it didn't fit some requirements

4. General

General New Member

Please, make a comment. Your feedback is essential for further development.

5. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Conceptually doesn't do it for me. I like texas holdem, i like Risk, combined it doesn't make me want to play. Could you swap the player cards for more interesting card types (knight, foot soldier, wizard)?

6. General

General New Member

The battles in CardWars are not on the poker rules, but game called "p'yanitsa" (a drunk man). In this game the deck is divided evenly among the players. Then they simultaneously open their top cards. The card with the highest vallue wins and its owner takes all the open cards to the bottom of his deck. This step continues until in game stays a single player - a winner.

Recently I googled out that the rules have much common to the rules of card game War.

As for units instead of cards - I'll think of it, thank you.

#6 General, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  7. General

General New Member

I’d like to invite you to participate in the second off-line tournament:

CWNRGP2 (Card Wars Non-Reload Grand Prix): Iron Chancellor

[​IMG]

Nine states claim to supremacy in Germany. Prove that only you can unite it!

Game objective: capture all provinces as fast as possible.

Rules:
    Saving game to continue it later: allowed.
    In-game reloads: prohibited.
    Game restarts (reloads from the start save): allowed.
    Viewing the replays of finished games: allowed and recommended to master the game.
    Dealing cards mode: 1 card per province (set in Menu -> Dealing Cards Mode ->Evenly)

To start the game, unpack cwnrgp2start.sav to the game directory, then load it from Menu -> Load Game

After the victory message save your replay (Save Replay button), and mail it to general[at]civfanatics.ru, include your nickname and forum in the letter.

Submissions due by September, 15, 2010.

Participants are ranged in ascending order by the number of turns they spent to win the game.

Download start save file

Good luck!!!

8. General

General New Member

My game participates in 3rd Independent Game Developer Contest :) If you like it and want to support it, please vote for cardWars here: http://www.indiepubgames.com/vote.php (registration may be needed before voting).

9. General

General New Member

Modification to the CWNRGP2 rules:
    I decided to add "The fastest defeat" nomination. So, even if you lost to AI in the tournament, send your replay to me.
    Te winner in this nomination will be the player, who made AI to capture Prussia as fast as possible :)

10. General

General New Member

In order to test gameplay modifications, which were proposed by the forums members, I prepared a CardWars Flexible Gameplay Edition.

Here you can change options for battle mechanics, dealing cards, enemy cards visibility and controls from game Menu.

Download CardWars Flexible Gameplay Edition
    Yoa can download just file CardWarsFGE.exe (1 Mb) and copy it to the previously downloaded CardWars 0.5.2 folder.
    Or you can download the complete archive (1,8 Mb)

You can vary such options:
    • Will the garrison retreat having lost 50% of its cards.
    • Will the reinforced/captured/attacked province loose its turn.
    • Will multiple identical cards in the garrisons receive combat bonus.
    • The measure of randomness in dealing cards.
    • Will the cards be dealt before or after the players’ turn.
    • Will the player receive per 1 card for each of the controlled provinces, or only for peaceful ones (those, which didn’t participate in battle for 1 turn).
    • Will the players see all the rivals’ cards, just the top card and their quantity, or just their quantity.
    Also, another control mode is enabled: left mouse button used for all the actions, and right button – for sorting cards.

Please, try CardWars Flexible Gameplay Edition and tell me, what were the game options you liked more.

11. General

General New Member

I'm posting to tell that during last year I studied Flash, and now the flash version with enhanced interface, interactive tutorial and powerups is almost ready. I hope, it will be released soon

[​IMG]

#11 General, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  12. General

General New Member

The game is released, finally! I'll be greateful for your feedback.

You can play the game here: http://www.kongregate.com/games/GeneralVimes/cards-wars

Controls:
    Drag-and-drop - attack or move;
    Click - open the Arrangement window;
    End Turn button is in the top-left screen corner;
    Settings button is in the tor-rigfht screen corner.

[​IMG]

Every province is garrisoned with 1 - 7 playing cards. If you attack the neighbour, the battle goes on until one of the sides looses 50% of its garrison. The defeated army retreats. The player earns experience points for victorious battles, he can spend them to activate the powerups.

There is a Hotseat multiplayer.