call for iPhone developers

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Game Producer, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

I haven't done any iPhone game development, but I'd be interested to know who here on these boards has done any iPhone game development & whether you've already published games?

2. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Me for starters :)

3. Julio Gorge

Original Member

We got three games out already, with more to come. Just follow my sig :)

4. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Hello. . .

5. Diragor

Original Member

I was a primary developer on three apps released under my account and made minor contributions to several others.

6. barogio

barogio New Member

We fixed a few device-specific bugs on a local companies advergame and released it in our appstore, other than that I'm part-way through porting our engine!

7. Oaf

Oaf
    Original Member

Done a couple of games in Objective-C and currently converting a PS3 game using Unity :)

8. Pyabo

Original Member

9. hippocoder

Indie Author

Does cocos actually play nice with C++ and absolute positioning? When I looked at it, it was all objective C and weird commands like move and jump, which put me right off.

10. Pyabo

Original Member

Well, it's definitely all Objective-C right now. But that generally plays nicely with C++. It's also open source so if you don't like "move" and "jump" you can rename them or write new methods.

11. Twitchfactor

Original Member

How's that?

Going from PS3->Unity must mean you're doing a "port" old sk00l style... where you look at the game and convert what you see, huh? (That's how we used to do a lot of them back in the C64/Atari/Speccy days)

What game? Do tell...

12. zigboy

zigboy New Member

I have 3 games out. Flyz, Jungle Defender, and Gravulous
    I have one more coming soon but it's not a game.

Silentlogic Studios.
    http://www.silentlogicstudios.com

13. Oaf

Oaf
    Original Member

Yeah you're right - dev PS3 with the game for reference, but I've also got the source code and all the assets, although the models are being redone to reduce polys.

Can't say which game yet cos it's not released till September. It's a collection of minigames with cute animal characters, so it's quite fun :)

Oh, another vote for Cocos-2D; I used it for those Obj-C games I mentioned - it's really good.

14. Game Producer

Cool, pretty many developers!

How about sharing your thoughts on "how does iPhone game development differs from 'non-iPhone' game dev? you like doing iPhone games? plan to do only them?"

15. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Well for starters and to get the ball rolling... 'you actually get paid' - which in this business can sometimes be a real problem area for sure! :)

16. hooble

hooble New Member

Some of the features in the upcoming iPhone OS 3.0 are looking mighty good right now. I'm especially interested in the 'in app purchasing'. If we can do small transactions(less than 1$), even offering the option to 'disable ads for $0.25' would could be a big help. Also this will properly allow people to upgrade from 'lite' to 'paid' versions finally.

17. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Tools = fine. Kinda crowded though.

18. Jack Norton

Indie Author

1 port done so far. I am not sure I'll keep developing on it though, as PoV said... too much crowded :)

19. Game Producer

You guys serious?

indie/casual PC/mac game development has been here for ages... iPhone like... "much less than that" :D - and it's crowded already? I'm surprised.

Apple must have done good job promoting their program & phone ;)

20. zigboy

zigboy New Member

Well with articles about making $60,000 a day on one app, people tend to jump on that very fast which makes it more crowded quickly.

SilentLogic Studios