c64, zxspectrum & ascii art photoshop cs2 filters

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Sol_HSA, May 19, 2007.

1. Sol_HSA

Sol_HSA
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Yo.

Due to popular demand, standalone converters:
    http://iki.fi/sol/zip/standalone_filters.zip (about half a meg, win32 binaries)

I just released three photoshop cs2 filters:

- Koalizer - convert graphics to (near) c64 koala paint format
    [​IMG]

- ZXSpectrumizer - convert graphics to (near) zx spectrum format
    [​IMG]

- AsciiFitter - convert graphics to ASCII art
    [​IMG]

available for free for any use whatsoever at http://iki.fi/sol

#1 Sol_HSA, May 19, 2007
    Last edited: May 22, 2007
    Fuz likes this.
  2. NO9

NO9
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Great! Could you make it as a GIMP plugin? (I know, I know... just asking :))

3. ggambett

ggambett
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Oh, the memories, the memories :) I vote for a GIMP plugin too ;)

4. Bad Sector

Bad Sector
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

+1 for GIMP plugin :)

5. electronicStar

electronicStar
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Very cool, and well done. It seems to actually take account of the color conflicts. I'll download it.

6. Sol_HSA

Sol_HSA
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Thanks for comments, and.. the gimpy thing, noted.

7. Sol_HSA

Sol_HSA
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

okay, after hunting around for windows gimp development tools for a few hours, and ending up installing all of cygwin, gimptool-2.0 still doesn't find all the neccessary libraries, so I'm giving up. Apparently they don't want people to make plugins for gimp, at least under windows.

8. Lerc

Lerc
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

That's the curse of open source.

I'd have contributed to a lot more open source projects if it was feasible to actually get a working setup quikly.

Usually it's hours upon hours of mucking with make files, dependencies and bizarre configurations to get something working. Not something I do for fun.

9. NO9

NO9
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Sad :(. But thanks for your efforts anyway.

10. Bad Sector

Bad Sector
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Cygwin? You don't need Cygwin for that :). In fact doing it using Cygwin is probably the worst method...

Here is a native Win32 build of GIMP and if you need libraries (i haven't done any GIMP plugin development, only scripts) here are native Win32 builds of the libraries (you need only the development packages, not the runtime (the GIMP installer installs the runtime version of the libraries).

EDIT: You'll probably need MinGW for that (a native Win32 port of GCC).

11. Sol_HSA

Sol_HSA
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

I installed cygwin in order to get mingw.

Anyway.

Building the filters basically works by writing your plugin as a single .c file and running gimptool (exe of which can be found on the site you linked) with --build plug-in.c.

This results in an error message (pkg-config not found) and crash. I started installing bits of cygwin in order to satisfy these requirements, eventually installing it completely as I apparently can't figure out what, exactly, it needs - but it just wasn't enough.

The same site also seems to have a gimp photoshop plugin plugin, but it doesn't work (at least with my plugins).

Here's waiting for code::blocks to be finished and include a sane development package management.. =)

12. Bad Sector

Bad Sector
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

pkg-config is a very good package management system. I've build a whole Linux system from source code and for almost everything pkg-config was using. I never had a single packaging problem (i had problems with incompatibilities between some packages in source code level, but that was a problem of the library or program i was installing -i used the very latest stuff i could find, so naturally there was issues- and i just had to manually fix this). I'm really considering using pkg-config for my own stuff too instead of hardcoding paths, library requirements, etc. A native version of pkg-config can be found at the second site i mentioned.

However the problem is not pkg-config but Cygwin. You don't need Cygwin at all (in fact i suggest you to remove it). Cygwin is a unix/linux emulation layer that provides a linux-like API for programs written for Linux and other unix-like systems to function under Windows, in order to ease Linux->Windows porting. However many such programs have native Windows ports and they don't need Cygwin.

GIMP and GCC (MinGW) are such programs. I also assume that by installing Cygwin and[ MinGW (which are somewhat incompatible) you crippled your gcc-based build environment. That is because both Cygwin and MinGW include their own version of gcc and header files (Cygwin includes a version of gcc that compiles against the Cygwin DLL and MinGW includesa version of gcc that is native to Windows).

All you need to build a working gcc environment is available at http://www.mingw.org/. If you want an IDE, check Bloodshed Dev-C++ (the latest beta version works ok). Here is a direct link to the correct executable file (many people seem to get lost there and download wrong files). This is an installer that installs the Dev-C++ IDE and MinGW. However remove Cygwin and whatever else you installed! After that you may want to install MSYS from the MinGW site in order to get a small bash shell. I never worked much from within the MSYS shell but i assume it works. Besides, the guys who made GIMP and it's plugins used MinGW, so it somehow has to work :).

Really, i don't think that it's that hard. Just don't use Cygwin at all :->.

13. Sol_HSA

Sol_HSA
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Hence I sort of expected that it would come with all libraries neccessary to compile gimp plugins =) It also comes with mingw packages, which sounds somewhat confusing.

Doubt it, unless simply using cygwin setup and selecting all from devel packages you end up breaking stuff..

I'm aware of dev-cpp - it hasn't been updated for ages (apparently the devels just disappeared one night). I've tried it, and I'd rather use command line, especially since that seems to be the only way to compile the plugins anyway.

I might spend another dozen hours trying building yet another devel environment just to make couple plugins that I doubt anyone will eventually use for a paint program I don't use or need =)

edit: apparently mingw comes in .tar.gz packages just to annoy people. It's software that's meant to be run in windows. Hey, let's use a unix-specific file format!

#13 Sol_HSA, May 20, 2007
    Last edited: May 20, 2007
  14. electronicStar

electronicStar
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Hey too bad it doesn't work with PSP either :(
    It's a pity because often, photoshop plugins work with PSP without modifications, but this one does not.

15. ggambett

ggambett
    Expand Collapse

.tar.gz is as unix-specific as .zip is windows-specific - that is, "not". WinZIP opens .tar.gz just fine and maybe WinRAR does too. Speaking of "platform-specific" formats doesn't make much sense especially where the format specifications are open and you even have open source implementations.

16. Sol_HSA

Sol_HSA
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Windows xp handles zips natively.

17. Sol_HSA

Sol_HSA
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Okeydokey.

I've now gone through the trouble of separately downloading the couple dozen packages and unpacked them to a new directory (namely, c:\mingw). This also included grabbing winrar so I can unpack the .tar.gz:s. Only the packages on mingw site were .tar.gz:s, mind - others were zips.

I've set path to point at the bin directory. I've set PKG_CONFIG_PATH to point at the correct directory.

Running gimptool-2.0 --build test.c just crashes (exception 0xc0000005) inside msvcrt.dll. No cygwin-related dlls are loaded, so cygwin doesn't confuse things here.

There's not even any verbose mode for gimptool, so I have no idea how to continue from there.

edit: I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be having all this trouble if I just installed linux and did it there, but that's a bit more hassle right now than I'm ready to go through. =)

#17 Sol_HSA, May 20, 2007
    Last edited: May 20, 2007
  18. mot

mot
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Isn't there a GIMP plugin that would make Photoshop plugins work in GIMP? That would be the first (and last) one I'd write (if I was actually using GIMP for anything anyway...)

19. PoV

PoV
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Or just share the source, and make somebody else do it. :D

Very cool BTW.

20. Applewood

Applewood
    Expand Collapse

Heh, this is very cool - I'm old enough to remember that shit firsthand too.

He must have plenty of time to kill :)