C++?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by JoshuaJ, Nov 24, 2012.

1. JoshuaJ

JoshuaJ
    Expand Collapse

I'm starting to study C++ so I can make games and such, is this a good programming language to use? I have a basic knowledge of Python if that means anything.

Anyway, all help appreciated :D

2. Stropp

Stropp
    Expand Collapse

3. JoshuaJ

JoshuaJ
    Expand Collapse

See, I thought I had posted this thread before, but I wasn't able to find it so I though I imagined it XD sorry. Anyway, I'll try the C# thing, thanks :3

I'm going to study C# for a while before I download XNA though :)

#3 JoshuaJ, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  4. Shaz

Shaz
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member

If you can't find something you posted recently, just go to your profile and look up posts from there.

5. jcottier

jcottier
    Expand Collapse

Why learning C# if you can learn C++? C++ will allow you to code on every platforms and this is what the pro are using (or a mix of many languages actually). Might be C# for tools and editors, C++ for everything critical (3D engine, Physics, IA) and some interpreted languages like LUA (for scripting/IA). But seriously, basic C++ (read C with classes) isn't that hard to understand.

Now, if you don't want to become a programmer, but only do games, then yeah, you probably better learning a high level language like C# and use something like UNITY.

6. Stropp

Stropp
    Expand Collapse

You're right about C/C++ is a more powerful language allowing programmers to reach a wider range of platforms, but we are talking about someone learning a new language here, and C# is a far better introduction to the C family of languages. It abstracts away certain C concepts such as pointers that can be very confusing for a learner, and it removes some of the frustrating problems that plague even experienced C/C++ programers such as memory allocation/deallocation.

C# can be a stepping stone to C++ later if Joshua wants to progress his programming skills to a higher level, but I figure he'd prefer to get to game development sooner rather than later, and C# with XNA will help there.

And don't forget Mono can provide C# on other platforms too.