Business Strategy for Mobile Games?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by TobyKaos, Apr 20, 2016.

1. TobyKaos

TobyKaos New Member

Hello,

I am game dev since 2007 and released 3 mobile games under my name and many others(DS, Xbox360, mobile, web ...) for game studio.

With my 3 games I do not earn money.

Then how to earn enough money? What is the best strategy in mobile market?

I have tried to sell game with a low marketing budget(1500€) but download spike fall down when I stop ads.

Maybe the best strategy would be to create 10 games in the same category and release them one per week. This allow to benefit cross promotion in the new release game section.

Each game must not cost more than 1000€. Or less if I do reskin or I I found enough free or cheap assets.

Any kind of experience with this strategy (same as a publisher catalog)?

2. Drakensane

Drakensane New Member

Speaking as a gamer who plays mobile games as well especially RPG mobile games, I tend to download games for free. Most people did the same.
    But I'm not saying that there aren't any people who don't buy mobile games, it's just trying to sell mobile games when there are plenty of free ones for people to play, seems counterproductive.

So if you want to make money, make sure the game is good or at least come up with something that makes people can't stop playing then have a micro transaction system for people to buy upgrades.

Or you could sell merchandise, just make an ad within game (make sure it's not too intrusive) that says you are selling mugs, stickers, t-shirts and etc with characters of your game as a design.

Lastly, some people don't like it if you make reskins of the same game (if they found out) unless you mean reskinning some levels then that's fine.

I think there's also a service that pays you per app download as well? Maybe you can try this.
    http://appflood.com/a/pay-per-download

#2 Drakensane, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  3. TobyKaos

TobyKaos New Member

Thank you. I have experimented several ads network to promote my games. The best have been app of the day like.

My games are free and not bad according to me.

I am not asking how to monetize game but what creation strategy is the best in term of business.
    I will not produce paid mobile game because of piracy.

1/ many little games that we push to store every week
    2/ clone trend game as quick as possible
    3/ game with great content and well polished
    4/ change platform and stop mobile game production

Any others strategy?

1/ seems to me the best approach on mobile market to drain enough money to then invest in a bigger game.
    2/ really?
    3/ ok send me money please
    4/ where to sell game: steam? Html5? Wii u shop? Congregate ....

Any advice.

4. Tarvin

Indie Author

I would say the best things to go for are innovation and thinking creatively. Something that just has innovation but not a creative approach could be passed by something that does it better.

A creative title can do well just on it's merits of being a creative and well done title but combine the two? You just might get something that can set the trend and not just ride it.

5. Drakensane

Drakensane New Member

@TobyKaos
    From your post you mentioned you sell games so I thought the games were paid.
    You also ask how to earn enough money and I answered. If that's not what you're looking for then you mean marketing strategies.

The first two strategies you listed, not really a good strategy. The third one? Not feasible for you.
    But the fourth one? Maybe?

You could port your mobile games to PC and put it in Steam, it certainly helps widen the audience. But since you already offer the games for free on mobile. it's either you offer it for free on Steam or you make it a paid game but included extra features that are not free. You don't have to stop the mobile game production. But if you don't want to, then that's your choice.
    Try GOG as well. Just look for any platform similar to Steam because there are plenty. Just port the games into consoles, different PC OS as you like.

As for any other strategies, you could try to get a company to publish your game. But your game needs to be good enough to get published.

#5 Drakensane, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  6. borneogamer

borneogamer New Member

A note about publisher: beware! They will sweet talk you et al, but once they don't need you they will dump you in a heartbeat.

As for marketing... so you created a halfway decent game, put it on appstore and such, but only get minimal sale, while a mindbogglingly simplistic game like flappy bird gets famous and made a million for its creator... why? I googled "how did flappy bird get famous" and the first three result seems conclusive. I suggest you do the same :)

7. TobyKaos

TobyKaos New Member

Thank you guys for your help. This topic is for me a way to think about how to continue making games and earn enough to stop works for others.

I have some ideas of game but before to start a new prod I must choose the right "format" and platform.
    @Drakensane I have test paid game at start but now I create only f2p games with inapp, ads.

@Tarvin indeed combine innovation and creativity improve chance.

Maybe in my games virality is missing. Maybe I must work on that.

8. Tarvin

Indie Author

Having a viral game isn't something you strive for intentionally or they would all be viral. It's just what happens if your game strikes a particular cord and takes off. Focus on making quality games and the rest will follow after that.

#8 Tarvin, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  9. JohnnyDavids13

JohnnyDavids13 New Member

It helps if you have some bonuses for people promoting your game, such as Facebook sharing, and Twitter sharing etc. If you have that stuff it can help with the virality of your game.

10. TobyKaos

TobyKaos New Member

Yes I think I do it in my games Jetpack High and Multi Breaker. Facebook Connexion is rewarding by coins.
    Jetpack have had a little success with 50k of download before I rename it with the word flappy in it and been removed( yes it was stupid but I do it after seen many clones of flappy bird reach top download in a day and I was jealous. I do it 2 days after Google say that they will not allow the word flappy anymore, oops)

For Jetpack That I make 2 years ago I think about adding a multiplayer feature. Multi breaker have a 2 players mode on the same screen.
    I think quality and innovative games is great but it is not enough.

11. JMac

JMac New Member

You might try using youtubers and streamers with large audiences. There is a 2D game called "Stardew Valley" that launched on steam and sold over a million copies in 60 days. The developer contributed his success to his promotion company that used big time youtubers and streamers to get the word out and build a buzz before release. You dont need a promotion company to reach out to a few and see if you can work out some deal for them to advertise your product.

12. TobyKaos

TobyKaos New Member

Yes indeed and I found a big list of youtuber on gamasutra.com .

For my next game I will try to federate community and to reach gamer through youtube rather than forums and review that I think it is a waste of times.

13. Rekusi

Indie Author

Nothing is a waste of time, but some channels may be more productive than others. One may simply never know if that popular game reviewer(s) would be browsing the same forums that you do.

It is important to cover as many channels as possible. The more people that see your game the better. Even if you didnt get much coverage from a forum it is still SOME type of coverage. If enough people like your game from anywhere, then they will slowly market your game for free. Word of mouth is one of the most important marketing tools. Sometimes it even just comes down to peddling the game with your friends. Friends forget. If you tell a friend to try the game and they don't, hey its your friend. Harass them until they do. I sure have, and there is never any harm simply because they are friends. And Ive also had friends tell other friends about my game.

Never be discouraged in peddling your game around. If you must, post local ads in schools/ad boards. "Hey try this new game!" Maybe even create a UPC code for it that people can scan and be taken directly to the app store to download it. The computer department in school may even have a board where you can place such advertisements.

14. TobyKaos

TobyKaos New Member

Thank you for your advices. It is always good.

For the moment I focus on game creation strategy. What game size and quality versus cost and rentability? I love make great game with high quality. Anybody want this or you do not like games. But I tried to do my best with my low budget and reach 0€ in bank account. Now I have enough to retry again to develop one game. But I do not want to fall to 0€ again.

Maybe I must also take in account the game genre. Try to find a game genre with less games than arcade...

15. Andy 2089

Andy 2089 New Member

Hello,
    I am Andy ,the GameSir marketing manager, a young but fast growing game controller company from China. We are looking to cooperate with companies that develop Android games - promote them on our 20 million user strong app, and in turn, build an official branded Android controller.

1. Who we are:

GameSir is a leading brand of game controllers compatible with Android Smartphone, PC, PS3 and VR devices. We spare no effort in creating the top quality game controller for all the game lovers, which is why GameSir has already earned a solid reputation for its remarkable performance in the field of game controllers, and has more than two millions users across China, the US, Canada, Japan, India, and many more.

Long-term strategic partnership has been established between GameSir and Top 10 gaming companies in China, such as Tencent, NetEase.

2. Brand Cooperation proposal:

a. Produce the game controller with the logo of your specific Android Games. We will sell it on our E-commerce marketplace or any other sales channel you want. We can share the sales revenue.

b. We can produce some free samples with your logo for Event Marketing , our promotion will be launched from our media resources: Webiste, social , technology and video game website.

c. Our marketing sources:

1> we have an game game emulator" Happy Chick" with more than 20 million active users . We can promote your Android games on it , which will increase the installation of your game.

2>we have more than 1000 stores in China , which can promote your games to Chinese gamers.

3> All our owned media: Website, Social media and PR resources.

3. Information for your reference:

Game Controller Website: http://www.gamesir.hk

Game Emulator Website: http://www.xiaoji001.com

E-Commerce marketplace:

We believe that our brand cooperation will brings us mutual benefit for the video game market, and we would love to hear about any ideas that you may have too.

My business email address is : Andy@gamesir.hk

Thanks again for your time and looking forward to hearing from you.

16. CMGE_Zoey

CMGE_Zoey New Member

Hello,

I'm Zoey, the project manager from CMGE, one of the biggest publisher and leading mobile game developer in China. Running a game in Gross Top 10 in China's Appstore, Cmge is the most coWe are now looking for innovate social/ little games, if you've already have games issued outside China or still under developing and are interested expanding your game scale in China's Moible game market, shoot me an email: liu.jia@cmge.com

About us:
    CMGE is the largest publisher and a leading developer of mobile games in China with integrated capabilities across the mobile game value chain. Its fully integrated capabilities include the development, licensing, publishing, distribution and operation of mobile games, primarily in China. Its social games are mainly developed for Android and iOS-based smartphones. CMGE’s extensive distribution network includes its proprietary Game Center application, handset pre-installations, application stores and web platforms and mobile network operators. The offices are in Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Beijing, Chengdu, Shanghai and Hong Kong. The Company’s stock is traded on NASDAQ under the symbol CMGE. For more corporate and product information, please visit CMGE’s website at http://www.cmge.com.

17. Red Apple Technologies

I absolutely support your thought.Innovation and creation makes you Unique among others.