Bug Roast - free shooter.

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by cyodine, Jan 18, 2011.

1. cyodine

Original Member

I decided to test the waters briefly with a side project before releasing my main game. I spent about three weeks making this short little Unity web game (it's only 300 kb so it's quick to load. )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can play it here.

I'm thinking of releasing two versions, both free.

Version 1) Version for websites like Kongregate. This version won't have 2 player hotseat nor will it have endless difficulty levels. Based on my research, I'm not expecting too much from ad revenue nor will it likely get any sponsorships (since it's a Unity game). This version will contain links back to my own website for traffic generation. (If this proves viable, perhaps I'll make additional short games like this in the future for traffic - they're a nice break from the several month (or even years) games.)

Version 2) Just like version 1 except those features missing (multiplayer hotseat, endless difficulty levels) can be unlocked via a micro-transaction (perhaps like 1/4 a dollar or something small like that). Websites like dimeRocker that support micro-transactions don't want links back to my website, so this version won't generate any traffic for me. Perhaps it'll generate a little pocket change. If nothing else, it's an experiment in micro-transactions for me. I've read quite a bit about how micro-transactions being a greater source of revenue than ad revenue. However, this isn't a persistant social game so I'm not sure how well they'll work here.

Anyways, please let me know what you think or if there's any bugs.. err the coding kind. Also let me know what you think about my business plan for it.

2. flavio

flavio New Member

Hello, I think this game has some nice ideas, but you'd better refine some aspects. The gameplay is simple but potentially fun, especially if we consider the multiplayer mode. You'd better give a sort of tutorial (for this game should be very little) and more variety in the gameplay aspects (weapons, power-ups, ...). And I think power-ups should give more "strength" to your business plan.

3. cyodine

Original Member

Thanks for the feedback.

You're right about it benefiting from more variety in the gameplay aspects. I'm just worried about expanding it into a full length multiple month project. I could add coin gathering + shops, new enemy types, new weapons, new background tiles etc... yet the retro arcade genre is generally considered dead so I don't want to spend too much time on it. Perhaps I could add some simple-to-code power-ups or some such. I'd hate for the gameplay to be so simplistic that it interferes with people's enjoyment of it, even if it's free.

I'm still thinking about a tutorial. Alternatively, a 2nd instructions screen could inform the players about everything they needed to know.. mainly about gathering the glowing cylinders at the end of each level to upgrade their armor and weapon and give extra lives. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward I assume.

4. flavio

flavio New Member

Yes, that is the part I was thinking about. I needed to play a few levels to understand what to do at the end of the level. And I agree with the second instructions screen.