browser based 3D games

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by laxmid, Aug 6, 2007.

1. laxmid

laxmid New Member

Can you help me knowing how to go about creating browser based 3D games. is Adobe Director a good software for this? or anything else? are there any tools available to create browserbased 3D racing games.

2. Jack Norton

Indie Author

3. BinaryMoon

Indie Author

Director is your best bet, but the 3d plugin hasn't been updated in years.

Papervision is incredibly good but it isn't fast (for anything more than a bump mapped rhino), and will only let you do limited things. Director is by far the better of the two for exclusively 3d. Of course it depends upon your needs. Simple 3d would be fine in flash.

4. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Yeah I'll second that, Papervision is coming on in leaps and bounds but it just isn't there yet.
    If they keep working on it I'm sure it will be the industry standard in a few years, unless of course Adobe spot them and throw people and money at the problem :rolleyes:

The problem with Unity as far as I know, apart from requiring each user to download a seperate web player, is that the $249.00 Indie version is Mac development only or you pay $1499.00 for the Pro version :(

5. voxel

voxel New Member

There are ways to get a 3D engine into a web browser:

http://www.pelicancrossing.com/
    http://www.virtools.com/ (I've seen some SpongeBob games don in this)

by writing an FireFox or ActiveX wrapper.

And I think ToonTown Online (uses the Panda3D engine) bootstraps itself via an ActiveX control... I thought Second Life may have (but I think I'm wrong).

I think PlayFirst has limited (DX7?) capabilities and runs in a browser across two major platforms (Windows + OS X).

6. ChrisP

Indie Author

Speaking of Adobe and browser-based 3D, Adobe Reader can actually do (very simple) 3D stuff quite easily - I had no idea that PDF was much more than a document layout system with hyperlinks, but you can actually stick a simple 3D scene in a PDF and dynamically rotate it and stuff. Pretty neat.

It's not usable for games, since I don't believe you can script it at all (though I'd be happy to be proved wrong). I've only seen it used for geological visualisation; the geologists love all this 3D presentation stuff, since it's so much easier to see the size and shape of mineral deposits when you're viewing them in 3D (as opposed to the traditional 2D cross-sections). And if it's in PDF form, it can be used quite flexibly; stick it on the projector for a seminar, upload it to the web for in-browser viewing, email it to a colleague and be sure that they can view it, etc.

7. Bad Sector

Original Member

How about a Java+JOGL/LWJGL applet? There are signed JOGL and LWJGL jars around which provide full OpenGL 2.0 support in Java applets.

8. Spore Man

Indie Author

Virtools
    Unity
    Anark
    Quest3D
    Director

All at varying prices and feature sets.

9. clilian

Original Member

Hi, have a look at JNLPAppletLauncher from the JOGL team : it's becoming really nice (OpenGL + OpenAL with digital signature from Sun) and more widely supported (firefox slowdown issues are identified and will be definitively fixed by mozilla team for the next release).

Remaining issues are with old ATI drivers, and no software implementation.

Lilian :)

https://jogl.dev.java.net (and javagaming.org)

disclaimer : I was the original contributor for the applet support.

10. Matthew

Indie Author

Unity is worth looking into--we recently adopted it as our new studio technology. The $249 indie version supports Mac/Windows web player, but for Windows standalone you do need to buy the $1499 license.

11. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

My plugin (www.igloader.com) is now free for you to use - although it is windows only.

12. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Thanks for clearing that up Matthew, I was a bit confused by their website.

So can you develop on windows using the indie version or do you need a Mac for that?

13. Jorge Ramón

Jorge Ramón New Member

Just a portion of my experience when I was looking for "the best" tool:

Virtools is a crazy option, they suck your blood. It's a really expensive engine plus royalties for every step yo go and per-module charging.

Unigine is really a new generation game engine but it's thought for companies; I would only use Unigine as indie if going for an AAA game, would never buy it as a tool. They have an indie special price promotion, where you pay a portion at first and total after release (but more royaltie). What I don't like of its license is that it expires after 2 years or after 1 title released. Royalties goes from 3%, (if you buy commercial) and 5% (if you buy indie). (There's also a full source code version more expensive)

Quest3D Is the engine Im using actually and it's like drug, when you try it you are lost cause of its cool graphical programming (pre-compiled C++), short learn curve, easy of use, fast and cool prices without royalties. Also next version wlll support OO, Newton Physics, Weather system, Collada... BUT It's Windows only :mad: despite some rumors about working in XBox portability.

Unity which I can't talk too much about it, I don't have Mac :D; but, I see it's very similar to Quest3D in prices and features (without the graphical programming :p ).

Of course, the best solution is you to try its demo versions (For Unigine you have to ask for an evaluation copy signing an NDA)

14. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

The IDE is only available for the Mac, wether you have a Indie or Pro license. The Pro license just allows you to publish games to Windows, Indie is only for Mac/web games.

15. raigan

Indie Author

Which solution does everyone think id will be using for quake zero?

16. ChrisP

Indie Author

I imagine they're going to re-use the Quake 3 source code and write their own ActiveX launcher, Firefox plugin, etc. No point porting the whole game across to another engine, right? Better to use the existing, tried-and-tested codebase and then just write some bootstraps.